1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlize Theron on The View

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Astaroth, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Astaroth

So, I usually catch half of The View as I'm getting ready for work each morning. It's about the only show on (yes, that's my excuse). Anyway, she was doing an interview to promote her new movie, The Burning Plain (which I hear is good), and Barbara Walters asked her a question at the end of the interview that greatly increased my appreciation for Charlize.

Barbara said that Charlize had been quoted in other interviews as saying that she did not have any plans to marry her boyfriend of eight years, Stuart Townsend. So Barbara asked what would happen if Stuart asked her to marry him instead. It was one of those neat moments where the studio audience sort of went really quiet and Charlize just took a little breath and then said "I feel that the institution of marriage is a very one-sided thing right now. I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends who so desperately want to get married, and I would feel terrible if I did while they cannot. So, to answer your question, he wouldn't do that to me, I think, because we both agree on this."

I thought it was very classy of her. It's always encouraging when a celebrity (especially an extraordinary one, both in looks and personality) stands up for us. With Brad, Angelina, Stuart, and Charlize on our side, hopefully the message will only get stronger that if these people think it's the right thing to do that maybe it IS the right thing to do.

I'll try to find a video clip of it on Youtube in a bit. The interview was only an hour ago so it probably won't be up yet (if at all).

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw that as I watch The View every single day (I have no excuse, I'm a shameless addict :icon_redf). I have to agree with you, she is a very classy lady. I love how many celebrity couples (more particularly the well known ones) are taking a stand on the issue. I've been a fan of hers for quite a while, so I'm very glad to hear she is (and doing so rather tactfully I might add) standing up for gay rights.

3. frostreaver

Funny how she's South African and gay marriage is legal there. But it's still great she stands up for gay rights. We need all the support we can get. :slight_smile:

4. Mickey

Sorry,I don't watch The View but it's also really late here,so I missed it,anyway.
    I agree with all of you that it's awesome that some well respected stars are speaking out and making a stand on gay rights issues. I just wish that more people actually listened.
    I have one wish. By the time I die,I'd love to see equal rights ,for all.

5. RaRa

I love her. :grin:

6. GhostDog

Alright.

Charlize Theron? Is just that much hotter to me now. Rrrawr. ;D