1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fame

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lexington, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone planning on seeing this film, or interested in it? (POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR BOTH THE ORIGINAL AND THE REMAKE TO FOLLOW.)

I was rather pleased when I heard they were remaking it. It wasn't surprising, I guess. With the huge success of High School Musical, why NOT remake the movie about teenagers at a school for the arts? At least there's a rationale behind them breaking into song all the time. :slight_smile:

I was ten when the original movie came out. And it was a really good film. The singing and dancing were fine, from what I remember, but it was the story - or more accurately, stories - that really hit hard. The harsh teachers, the determined-but-very-fallible students. One student gets pregnant, another falls for a "I'll make you a star" producer who just wants her naked in front of the camera, and so on. And, being me, I won't forget the tender scene between the boy and girl eating outside the cafeteria ("it's too wild in there for me").

Boy: I fell in love with my psychiatrist.
    Girl: So what? I bet that happens all the time. I bet there's even a word for it.
    Boy: There is. "Homosexual."

The few things I've read about the new one make it sound like that's mainly gone by the wayside. The characters are simpler, the problems pretty tame, and you get the big production number at the end. (I didn't see if it was to "I Sing the Body Electric". I'm assuming they got something more current.)

If you do see it, let me know your thoughts. And let me suggest renting the original, too. :slight_smile:

Lex

2. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

That was funny :lol:

I saw the original ages ago so I barely recall anything. Musicals aren't really my cup of tea but I remember I enjoyed this one.