1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lady Gaga.... music is getting old

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jack2009, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is it just me, but when I see Lady Gaga it's like the main three songs always playing.... and that the Fame run its course.

It's not really new anymore, since really it hit big in January, but the album itself was release over a year ago in Aug 08. And Lady Gaga isn't that original, her clothing just look like an updated of something she already worn.

I don't know, seems like she needs a new album soon.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll probably get shot for this, but I've seen a couple of her performances on youtube and I have two thoughts:

1. What in the hell does everyone see in her? I see someone who does nothing particularly unique, original, or even interesting, and certainly anyone in the top 5 (maybe top 15) of American Idol has more singing talent.

2. (Borrowed from someone else's statement) If this is really the best that the music industry has to offer us, we are in a seriously, seriously bad way.

3. frostreaver

Anyone who follows the music industry probably knows that its in a terrible state now. There's little originality and auto-tune is everywhere.

And why do always people point out Lady GaGa when so many mainstream artists are also doing nothing different? Britney's new song is good example and its no.1 in America now. Sure, its catchy but there's nothing new about it.

4. Shevanel

^ All I know is I'm not helping her, or Lady Gaga, or any of the other crappy Top 40 artists get their fame :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So Yay me. ^_^

5. RaRa

Just give me a few years and i'll take care of it. :slight_smile: lmfaooo.

6. kettleoffish

I never knew why she was so popular. She's exactly the same as a million other popular artists, there's nothing new or original or even interesting in her music. It's exactly like everyone elses.

What I don't understand though is people saying that music in general is 'bad' right now. Just because the mainstream corporate nonsense is bad doesn't mean that every other part of the industry and every other genre suddenly got sucked in. It's always been like this, if anything the music industry is better now than it ever was - there's new technology allowing more artists to get their name out, it's cheaper than ever to release an album, and there's a hell of a lot of talented musicians about.

edit: nevermimnd the fact that if you don't like new bands, older records are more widely available than they've ever been through re-releases and services like Spotify.

--$0.02

7. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Lady Gaga's music was old to begin with. Honestly, the music industry needs to take more risks rather than being so very linear and staying with the same constant modernized Hip Hop-RnB hybrid with autotune flying all over the place. Autotune got annoying the second T-Pain sodomized it to death. Talent if being thrown into a blender here.

But that's mainstream for you. I wouldn't mind it if it was still like the 80s and 70s. Oh well. It reaps in the cash, thats all Major Labels look for. Oh well, I'm not buying anything anyway involving pop. Go nuts.

#7 Cynic, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the acoustic performances I've seen, she does have some talent. It's a shame she hides it behind bland synthesied electro-pop and a trashy image.

9. Greggers

Edit: Wow, kind a longish post :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i guess i really like my GaGa

To each his own.

Just because you dont like Lady GaGa does not mean she is bad or untalented.

When i try and explain why i like her i always try and use the things that are hard to argue, not impossible mind you, just hard(er). Its hard to argue she is not unique, in many ways. I challenge you to think of many popular artists who change up EVERYTHING about their songs live performance to live performance (sure, you can find a few people who also do this, but its highly uncommon). Her outfits are also, for a lack of a better word, different. I dont think you can really call them repetitive or boring. She is definitely the most outspoken pop artist for LGBT equality, you have to give her that. And, one of the most important things, is that everyone knows who she is and has an opinion on her. It seems like everyone has there two cents about Lady GaGa, even Obama. Also she gives one HELL of an entertaining interview. I love how she randomly tells reporters that she thinks they give stupid questions.

Now, onto her music. I know its not everyones cup of tea and i wont try and argue everyone should like it. Music is very much art, hard to judge it as "bad" or "good" or "better" or "worse" because everyone has different tastes on what makes music these things. I personally however like Lady GaGa's music because it gets me in a good mood, makes me want to sing and dance, and the lyrics are not only super sexual and materialistic (how i like my lyrics!) but often clever or silly. It makes it fun to listen to for me. I like to enjoy my music and that is why i listen to mostly pop and show tunes.

Now you can all carry on with your bashing Lady GaGa party, but it does not really matter what you think of her because she will continue to be VERY popular, famous, rich and successful. That will only grow. She has to be doing something right or she would be getting fat and trying to cross-over into gospel music like Jessica Simpson :slight_smile:

Now that

10. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ^^ I like her... when it was new which was way back in early winter of 08. At that time the only song out was Just Dance. Then Poker Face in the spring....

She's unique, but her look isn't that unique. Her type isn't either, she's only a copy of Madonna combine with Gwen Stefani with a little Britney Spears who is kind of ugly but has a better voice than all of them. It's just a bunch of old ideas tossed together.

She has Kerli's look a bit, who is from Europe.

and her performances remind me of Raquel Welch in this

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgqTS3XcAuI[/YOUTUBE]

and her image is kind of glam rock, disco, trance, and modern pop. She's a mixture of everything pop culture is, but she isn't bringing anything new. She's the review guide of the chapter, not a new chapter.

And she may love the gay culture, but she's a marketing magnet. It's all about the money at the end of the day, and being "different" makes you into a new object that cannot be compare to others. You're buying her image, style, and fantasy not the actual music, you're buying celebrity. Without her image, personality, and everything and just the music itself alone she isn't that original.

#10 Jack2009, Oct 15, 2009
  11. Greggers

[​IMG]

Were did that come from in Pop music? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I know alot of her stuff is bits and pieces of other styles, but DEFINITELY not all of it.

12. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    http://www.thefashionpolice.net/200...lbajac-kills-kermit-the-frog-and-friends.html

which is from March by a leading fashion designer on the run way

the hairbow

http://www.wolfwhistle.org/.a/6a00e554e5232c88340111685cb076970c-320wi

poker face blue dress

http://www.clipov.net/pic/britney_spears+[toxic]+2004+3-30+nrj12+clear.jpg

love game outfit

http://images1.makefive.com/images/200917/4a0b90dfb0ad5cb8.jpg

everything about her has already been done in the past maybe not this year, decade, or century but it's done.

#12 Jack2009, Oct 15, 2009
  13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The album has a very healthy run on the charts - staying in the top 30 for close to a year. That's not easy to do. I'm assuming new material is on its way, and we'll see what happens next.

Lex

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the old saying goes, there's no accounting for taste :slight_smile: Certainly there have been less talented people who've made it to the top of the charts. Greggers makes some good points, and I think that perhaps as an *entertainer* she has something to offer. I just don't see much there as a *musician.*

15. thevre

Psh I love her. She's VERY unique, and her songs are FUN. If you sit there and analyze how her music compares to every other pop artist that has ever come around, you're going to make it dull and depressing. Or, you could just listen and enjoy it.

OMG her new single "Bad Romance" is kind of awesome.

16. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Random thoughts:
    I dont think a lot of people understand style and fashion me being one of them. What I do know is that style is like a really small recycling bin in a huge closet. Every now and then styles get shoved in and brought out. I mean look at "surfer" hair, that came from the 70's but was given a twist and is being used more often today. Our clothing as well, a lot of the glam look from the jazz era is now popular with tweens and highschoolers. Even cars, Prime example is the Mustang, so many versions same idea. I think that is GAGA's style. She takes things and gives them a twist. I mean she is the first artist in a long time to NOT be symmetrical when it comes to outfits which is dangerous because the body is symmetrical (you bio junkies, dont even think about it, its an example, you know what I'm talking about) and having clothing that isnt can sometimes be a mistake.

I like Gaga because she is not afriad to take chances. Some might see it as horrible but thats a bad mind set. If everything was perfect and amazing there wouldnt be room for variety and new ideas leading to the death of creativity (look at school systems). Understand why she does it. The fact that your talking about her and how wacked out she is exemplifies the fact that she has you taking about talent and giving a platform to also talk about whats wrong with it as well as whats right with it. Don't bevieve me, when was the last time you talked about how much talent it takes to be a rapper? (Hypothetical question.)

17. Shevanel

^ I really hope people don't start walking around looking like Lady Gaga in a Kermit Head outfit. xD

18. MusicIsLife

I like lady gaga in moderation, but as for her being unoriginal, the only thing that is original about her is her fashion sense.

Like someone before said, the music industry is in shambles, and if you wanna find a different sort of pop, something different...try Dragonette, or try digging a little deeper for your music. go to an indie record store or hit up myspace. You'd be surprised what you could find there.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I think about it, I begin to wonder if the whole persona isn't a scam... basically Gaga has engineered her look, persona, everything simply to draw attention to herself. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but when I think of *musicians*, i think of musical talent. Now, if she's marketing herself as a *phenomena* (sort of like Katrina, or a train wreck, or something that people just have to pay attention to), that's a different thing :slight_smile:

20. Greggers

I dunno Calchip, i dont think you can really judge her musical talent...

Its not like a math equation. 2 + 2 will always equal 4. You can say it equals 5 and still be right. When it comes to music and art however, the lines are SO blury that you really cant call much of anything "bad" or "good". (some things are *clearly* bad because no passion or effort was put into them, but thats different. I think if you clearly try you cant fail at art. Whos to say your best isnt good enough?)

I listen to alot of classical music were the singers have a huge vocal range, amazing vibrato, pitch perfect, ect. ect. Alot of people would call that "musical talent". I would agree. I also listen to alot of people likie Lady GaGa. Her music is 10000x more fun to listen to, gets me dancing (even if im in a horrible mood, and trust me it takes alot to get me dancing when im in a mood), i sing along with passion in my voice, and it just brightens my mood in general. I would personally also call that "musical talent". I dont care if she cant sing like the people in an opera or on broadway, her music inspires me in a different way.

*but yes, she IS marketing herself as kind of a "Fame Whore". She wants everyone to know who she is and have an opinion on her, good or bad.

#20 Greggers, Oct 15, 2009