1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redesigned my website - Opinions plz?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by George1, Oct 19, 2009.

1. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.radio24.com.au

Could I ask your opinion guys (and gals :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)? I recently redesigned my site and just need some opinions on it. I know it works well in Firefox and Internet Explorer, but Chrome/Safari/Opera users might have issues..

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Lay outs good and such BUT flash menus... No no! Every page you go to it has to reload them. Plus what about the poor people who don't have flash installed? Flash should only be used for design elements and not menus. :slight_smile: Other than that I like it.

Hope this helps.

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either way the menu's repeated at the bottom of the page. Also, the people I'm targeting with my site wouldn't be those without flash or who have a bad internet connection, considering we do live streaming radio and all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Still, thanks for the opinions.

4. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I know people who don't install flash due to security reasons. If you are going to be using flash make sure you have alternative content for it or else people will just go else where. Even if you have a menu at the bottom people don't like to scroll down to get to it when it should be at the top. Just some ideas. :slight_smile: Plus that menu could be made in AJAX instead of flash but meh lol

5. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

Nice color scheme and layout. It's easy on the eye, and easy to navigate. Quite shiny :slight_smile:

I didn't really have a problem with the flash..after the first reload, the menus loaded pretty quickly for me. But I'm on a pretty decent LAN.

6. kettleoffish

seems pretty slick, but I'd second the nono on the flash menus :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, there are other ways to acheive similar results.

7. Nitro

Looks nice, easy to read, but ... those menus are annoying. Words should never become less easy to read and the highlighting animation is slow.

Question: What accessibility features does your site have for blind users? Blind people listen to web radio too.

Pretty good overall and no anomalies/oddities on Safari 4.0.3

#7 Nitro, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one has ever really had issues with the flash menus.. We've got a good listener base and we've only ever received complaints when I made full-page flash layouts. XD The menu is saved in your cache anyway when it loads first (it's the same file for each page), it's only 34.4KB in size, and the other flash file used below is only like 200-600KB in size depending on the page. Having a good internet connection is kinda required anyway, seeing as we stream at 168kbps stereo.

The animation is slow? That's odd. It's very fast for me, and I've tried it on truckloads of computers with good, bad, and absolutely horrid hardware..
    And we don't really require any of those accessibility features on our site.. We target more youthful people rather than the elderly.
    Like yes, some teens are blind and all, but compared to if we targeted older folk there's much less.

But anyway thanks for the comments guys. I'm still going to keep the flash thing noted for when we next tweak the layout, because even though a lot of people love it and you guys seem not to, I'll just let it run its course and see what the overall view is from people. :slight_smile:

9. Greggers

The menu makes me want to hurt small children.

But it has the Chrome User Stamp of Approval?

10. BeautifulStranger

It works fine with Safari :grin:
    And I really really like it.

I have no complaints with anything.

11. haelmarie

I have Chrome and it works fine for me.

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Only issue is that it takes a while to load. Great layout and colors otherwise. I'd also suggest renaming the files to like "fun.html" instead of like "index-4.html".

Judging by the JavaScript code in your source, you use Dreamweaver?

#12 Swamp56, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
  13. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it'll load slower for non-Australian and New Zealand users, since the server's located down here in Aus and optimised for use here.

And I use dreamweaver a little bit with the designing of it, why?

14. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I've fixed up some things on it.. Moar opinunz? XD