1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Problem!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Techcompu2, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Techcompu2

Ok the issue I am having, is that I will be using my Dell INSPIRON 1501 laptop like normal, and it will randomly shutdown, almost as if it had overheated, however it will be nowhere close to the temperature that it overheats at. It also is as if I held the power button to force a shutdown, like when it freezes. I always have it sitting on one of my yearbooks so it does not overheat.

I have noticed that it will sometimes do it when I shift positions, like I want to reach one of the usb ports or something.

I have had this laptop for two years this christmas. I have already replaced the battery once due to loss of charge. My dad has the same model laptop, same age, new battery, but this shutdown thing does not happen on his.

Because the warranty has ended on this laptop, I cannot ask Dell for help without being charged.

any ideas are welcome!

2. Corny

Corny Guest

It's not entirely clear to me what exactly happens ... does it
    a) freeze
    b) shutdown
    c) just lose power

It sounds like c) to me?

Are you running on battery? Or with the AC attached AND a battery, or just AC without battery?
    Did you try reproducing this to make sure that the changing position makes it happen? Gently nudge it in every direction, pat it slightly from every side - see what happens.
    It could be a loose contact somewhere inside (which would be bad), or just a loose contact at the power connector or battery.

3. Techcompu2

It is more like b). I have AC and Battery connected, I have tried moving it and it won't do it. the battery is almost always fully charged, and if it is not I get it plugged in be fore it dies. I also posted this question on Yahoo Answers, and I was told to try moving it/bumping it, running linux on it, and completely wiping it/re-installing windows. I have to say that the last one is a VERY last resort.

If there are any more questions about it, just ask!

4. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Sometimes if the air intake vent is covered, it will shut down before it reaches over heat temp to prevent over heating. Also, malware like Antivirus XP 2008/09 have been known to damage a comp so badly, it will cause it to shut down randomly.

5. Techcompu2

as for the malware thing, I have a very good security program so I have never had a problem with malware.

as for the vent being covered, I always have my laptop on a 1" thick yearbook so that they dont get covered. and my computer is set so that if it needs to power off due to temperature, it will hibernate

thanks for the input :slight_smile:

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you used software like HWMonitor to actually monitor the CPU temperature to make sure it isn't overheating?

7. Techcompu2

yes I use HDDHealth and it monitors the temp for me

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HDDHealth may not show the temperature from all sensors.

9. Corny

Corny Guest

So you get the "computer is being shutdown" thing that you would also get when you shut it down manually?
    HDD health does only monitor the HD temperature, the interesting one for you is the CPU temp.
    After such a shutdown .. check:
    Control Panel -> Administration -> action log
    (just guessing the names here, don't have an english windows .. should be a tools/folder icon, then a notepad with !? on it)
    can you find any entries there immediately before the shutdown?

10. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Event Viewer" is the English name.

Also accessible via: Start-run-eventvwr.msc

11. RainInAfrica

Did you drop the laptop recently or leave it somewhere were it could have got wet due to condensation etc. ?

12. Techcompu2

No, it just powers off as if I had held the power button, or if the battery was not in it & it came unplugged.

I have checked the log for the date of the most recent random shutdown and can't find anything strange

it is true that all four of our laptops have been dropped from a short distance at some point in their lifetime. however, mine is the only one that shutsdown like this. none of them have gotten wet though.

13. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Most likely loose connections within the power supply.

14. Miles D

... buy a Mac.
    /spamrant

15. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But you need AppleCare, at least that's what the nice man at the genius bar said.

16. Corny

Corny Guest

of course .. we all know macs never have hardware problems. Or non-exchangeable batteries .. or breaking display .. sticking keys .. shall I go on? I believe I have not even covered all official recall reasons from the past 3 years ..

back to topic:
    Ok .. you made me think it was a software shutdown, when it is a power - off :slight_smile:
    So back to start - can you reproduce this by intentionally tilting/nudging the laptop?
    Most likely there is something lose inside, but it might also just be the battery not being tight enough in it's closure.

17. Techcompu2

I have tried bumping it and moving it but it does nothing. I have tried to wiggle the cord to see if that would do something. alas nothing seems to do it.:shrug:

18. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you confirmed the CPU, and not just HDD and "system" temperatures?

19. Techcompu2

yes

thanks for input