1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone read The Mortal Instruments books?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, Nov 6, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

I'm reading City of Bones right now and it's pretty good. I really like the plot, though I'm not a huge fan of the writing style. Anyway, does anyone else like The series?

2. Emberstone

i read/saw lotr, harry potter, star wars, buffy, angel, etc...

Felt no need to read her books... that, and she is a major plagerist who got caught in a plagerisem scandal when she was in hp fanfiction, and her lawyer friend threatened to sue me for defamation of character when I pointed out 3 pages were ripped off from pamala dean, with just names changed.

3. jp xch

jp xch Guest

I liked the series. Not much of a fan of her writing style either..
    Still a pretty good series. I heard she has another book coming out called City of Fallen Angels.
    Anyone hear the same thing?

4. MusicIsLife

I read that on her site. but its not going to be out for a while, apparantly.

5. Emberstone

She has a very Stephenie Meyerish turn of phrase, but is still a better writer than meyer is. She, like meyer, relys on purple prose to show a story instead of telling the story through good plotting, pacing, and writing. As writers, both are fairly redundent and fluff out their books (meyer more so than claire), and their works are highly dirivative. Mortal Instruments relies on things from all the movies and books and tv shows clarie claims to be a fan of, and twilight, though meyer claims to never have read or seen alot of vampire stuff, lifts whole plots and scenes out of books and movies that predate her books without changing details.

The whole meadow sequence is a ripoff of a earlier vampire series. the immortal half human, half vampire babie has been done too much as it is, and she did it soo poorly it is unexecusble.

Plus, nothing fun for 95% of readers in reading about pussified vampires. *no offence intended to the females of the forums... am sure your nether regions are quite nice and I apolagize if I offended you by useing a variation on the slang to discribe Stephenie Meyer's fetisal sex dreams, seeing as that is what twilight is by her own admission... her fantasy.*

Holly black pushed for claire to get a book deal, banking on her sucess to claim that claire was a shoein cause they were friends. So it was not like a jk rowling story or anything, where she had to work to get a agent or a publisher, she had a friend push for her agent to take her friend on, and rumor has it, claimed she wouldnt write any more books until claire was published.

Ever since I started my lit classes for my english major, I have come to realized just how bad writers like claire and meyer are, and also to see things I was doing wrong in my own writing.

6. Davey

I read the first Two books but couldn't keep through the third. I'll read it one day though.