1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop question

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nintenfreak92, Nov 13, 2009.

1. I am getting ready to go off to college and I am going to need a laptop. I have never used a mac before, only pc's. What do you guys think would be the best laptop for college related things?

2. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just get a windows based laptop. Seriously, it'll be much easier for you if you don't reguarly use Macs and your University/College uses mainly Windows machines.

A Dell Studio XPS or if you're on a tight budget an Inspiron are good. We've got mainly Dells for laptops here and they all are very good machines.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IMHO there's far more bang for the buck with non-Apple computers.

"Collage related things" depends on what program you're going into. Is there any course specific software you will need to run on your computer? During my degree all course specific software was Windows based. However there's some programs that rely on OS X software (I'm thinking graphics / film)

Keep in mind most universities have ample computer labs / public access computers. I've rarely seen computers used in class to take notes. Mostly to check email, post on forums, homework for other classes, play poker, etc.

Some courses are easier than others to take notes on a computer. Generally sciences / math don't go very well with a laptop, unless you have a tablet.

Also how do you plan on using the computer? Carting it around all the time? Only using in your room for the most part? 15" laptops give the best bang for the buck as far as specs, but aren't very portable (when you're lugging around 10lbs of other books). I have a 15" laptop that I use "as my desktop" and a netbook that I carry on the go.

The Gateway LT31, though not very powerful compared to standard laptops, is a good economical choice if you want something in the 12" size range. Offers a little more umph than most netbooks have.

4. Gaetan

First, buy what you know. You don't want to be stressed over something like making your computer work when you have so much else to be stressed about. A computer is a tool, and should help you be more productive--not counterproductive.

Second, I've used my laptop for taking notes in only one class--because of the sheer volume of notes. Most others I've been able to get away with normal handwritten notes.

However, having a laptop is great for doing your homework. You can take it and work anywhere if your living space is too noisy. Or you can take it with you to a group project.

Mac vs PC...I personally stand by Macs and always have. I knew them, so I bought one. You, on the other hand, should probably get a PC since you know them.

5. Pancake

I have a Dell Studio and find it quite good. My family also has a Dell XPS but that get VERY hot so it is probably not that good to use in college. I know people who has Inspirons and they are ****. I would get a studio. If you call up dell you can usually haggle a few hundred pounds off the price :slight_smile:

6. 71390S

71390S Guest

PC.

Unless you are doing something with art/graphics, I'd definately suggest a PC. I have a sony and it's great :slight_smile:. Toshiba is nice too.

7. Emberstone

PC's tend to be cheaper and easier to fix because componants are not made by 1-2 companies only like with macs. PC tend to also have longer lifespans if taken care of, because people assume macs are more stable and safe from things like viruses, but pc users tend to be more proactive in keeping their computer safe than mac users are.

Also, development for macs are slower. both in technology and software, so *though it is slowly changing*, you sometimes have to wait months to get what a pc users can get first.

8. Zero Beat

I like how everyone bags out the mac... I love my mac laptop. But if you've never used a mac. Don't get one, unless you have tons and tons of time on your hands to learn the ins and outs. Which I guess you wont have. So 'PC' laptop you should go for, a dell, if i was ever to go to 'PC' s it would be a dell. :slight_smile: they are good.

*For he who said about PC's being used a lot more at collages, and that a Mac wont fit in. All mac laptops can join any sever set up, print, ect.*

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys, you DO know that you don't actually need a Mac for anything visual.. The industry standard software is Adobe Creative Suite, which was designed for Windows and ported over to Mac...

10. 71390S

71390S Guest

The MAC's aren't always compatable with the smart classrooms here, I don't know why.

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On repair... in the case of a component built desktop that's true, but not for a laptop, or prebuilt desktops. In these cases generally the hard drive and RAM are the only "Generic" components (and in the case of PC desktops: optical drives). These components are user serviceable in Apple just like PCs, and use standard SATA hard drives, DDR2 RAM, etc. (though some older Apple models were an utter pain in the ass to service these components). If the keyboard, motherboard (Oh I'm sorry, for Apple we have to call it 'logic board' because they're so special), or screen go in any laptop it's a pain to replace.

On the longer lifespan... that's debatable. Apple owners like to claim that they have a higher resale value or something, but say you have a high end Dual core Powermac G5 from 2006. Something with more than enough processing power. Apple has said with Snow leopard that your piece of junk isn't worth anything. Meanwhile I know people with PCs from 2004 who can still happily run new software, and have no plan or need to upgrade. Meanwhile a lot of users will buy a new computer when all their old one needs is the OS reinstalled. Or garbage applications removed.

On the users being more proactive, that's false. The vast majority of users are idiots. With any system. They can't figure out how to plug in USB devices, or follow simple directions. Until you have provided end-user support you won't get a good idea of what real users are like. I have no idea how these people are able to drive cars, earn an income, and not burn down their houses. It is due to user idiocy that "fake antivirus" malware runs rampant. Along with coolpic.jpg.exe, and fake video codecs.

There is of course more to the world than just Photoshop. Like professional video and audio editing / composing tools. My advice is still to see what the school uses, and use that.

Now with a Mac you can also dual boot into Windows (or even just do virtual machine), but it does take some tech savvy to be able to accomplish it.

12. Zero Beat

You could also, buy say, Windows XP and install it on the mac... If you get one.

But unless you know that the collage is "Mac capable" go with Dell like i said in my last post.

13. Totoro

Just buy a laptop that works. Don't buy a Mac is you don't know how to use the OS, because the thing is a whole lot different x_x.
    For college, it's just about getting a laptop that works, because you are probably just going to use Office type software to write notes, do homework, etc...
    Unless you really need something to do sometime, then you can upgrade and get something that can run games, but the more your computer is capable the more it's gonna cost.
    If you go into graphic design, artsy type things, MACS are the thing, as stated before by someone else.

14. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now, I may be just a tad bias, but I would go with a Macbook Pro.

Now, they do cost more than a Windows laptop, but If you do have the money to spend on it, I strongly recommend (even if you just end up putting Windows on it anyway).

The unibody Macbook Pro would have to be the best laptop built ever (regardless of operating system). It is fantastically solid and sturdy, yet still very thin and light, all because of the unibody chassis. And the trackpad is MASSIVE and just so good. There has never been a trackpad better than that that is on the Macbook Pro's. I suggest you go down to an Apple store and give them a go and see how long it will take you to fall in love with one.

tl;dr: Macbooks are expensive, but worth it. Windows laptops are cheap. Try both and make your mind up.

This is actually starting to prove less and less true. iMacs made in the last two years all have user-serviceable RAM (Apple even provides instructions on how to do it yourself). You don't need to buy any special 'Apple-RAM'.

#14 joshhunt, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009