1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torn between two types of computers...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by NateDawg, Nov 17, 2009.

1. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay guys. I am a COMPUTER GEEK! Literally. I've always worked with windows. I have never owned a mac or even though about switching to a mac until now. I've been trying to do my research, but always end up on a dead end. What I fear most is the hardware. I know a lot about the Windows Hardware and such and absolutely nothing about macs. Are they pretty much built by the same types of companies or are they totally solo for macs?

I absolutely LOVE Windows 7 and it's design, but the Mac sleep look to the product looks sweet. I'm not really a fan of the MAC OS X operating system and how it looks.

Ideas? Solutions? Opinions? ANYONE???????? I'm going insane, LOL.

2. SpinachWrap

All the mac hardware is made by Apple, sold by Apple and almost always serviced by Apple. Why are you looking to get a mac? Is it just so you can have a sleek looking piece of hardware on your desk? If that's the case, it's not worth it. Computers are a tool. You buy them because you need them to do something. You wouldn't buy a hammer when you needed a drill, just because the hammer had an engraved cherry handle.

3. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a really bid difference between the hardware though?????

4. SpinachWrap

I know that apple uses the Intel processor, and has for a few years now. (they used to use PowerPC) The hardware is similar enough that you could buy a mac, and install windows on it. But I would only recommend this if you need both operating systems. In which case you can dual-boot (or even triple boot, if you have more of an Antarctic taste) What exactly is it that you want to do? Buy a mac, and then upgrade it with pc parts? That might work with the Mac Pro, but certainly not with an iMac, or a Macbook.

5. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well. idk. I like fast things. instantly accessed things. and i will say the "looks" of the macs make me like them more. However, I love windows 7. LOL. idk what to do haha.

I use my computer as an evertday user, power user, some simple gming, photo editing (adobe), umm. video editing, etc.

6. SpinachWrap

If you are happy with your computer as it is now, then I see no reason to change. Macs are worth it because of the operating system, and the included software. If you have the money to spend, and want to dip your toes in the Apple ocean, then I'd recommend a Mac Mini. It's the cheapest way to buy a mac, because it's just the computer, you use the peripherals you already have.

7. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true. Thanks! :slight_smile: I may dual boot mac to see how i like it perhaps. BEfore i make a decision on choosing.

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

All Macs within the past 3-4 years have Intel chips with ATI, nVidia, or Intel GPU's, as well as regular DDR2 memory.

If you love Windows 7, then I don't see the point in investing money in a Mac, and then having to buy Windows 7 to install on that.

9. ArcaneVerse

Stay with what you know and like. Are you looking for a new system or just thinking of switching to a mac for fun?

Also if your into computers, are you into it for the hardware and like to upgrade and build your own? is so avoid mac.

if you like gaming avoid mac

basicly unless your into media stuff video/audio editing and photoshop like stuff then avoid mac.

macs only look pretty and thats about it. they cost way too much. and if you want to upgrade later down the track you will have to buy a whole new system. again waste of money.

how much money do you have to spend and what to you use your computer for?

10. Darkwing65

Mac's are cool, but way to elitest for my taste. Your a PC, don't go over to the darkside.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    macs are really annoying to customise, both hardware and software. And if you want to upgrade a component, good luck.

i've always built my own pc's because i can customise everything i want just the way i want. I see the "user friendliness" of macs as just meaning that there are less options and you can't just go in and tinker to get things the way you like them.

itunes drives me UP THE WALL... i HAVE to use it to work my ipod. it's such an awful program

12. Corny

Corny Guest

Computer geeks use Linux.

13. SpinachWrap

Correction: Open source geeks use Linux. You can be a computer geek on any system. Linux is for programmers and open source worshipers.