1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Sata Drivers for XP

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CrimsonThunder, Nov 20, 2009.

1. CrimsonThunder

Dunno if anyone can help me because I don't think its possible. >_> But I'll post here to see if anyone has a way to do it.

My mobo is a Asus P5GC-MX and as the title says I'm trying to install XP and use a Sata drive. I know what to do, i gotta pack in the sata drivers with nlite installation but I checked on the asus support website and i couldnt find any drivers for it.

Does anyone know if its possible? Cheers.

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I have never ever had to do that with XP all those years ago. It just installed onto my SATA drive fine with no need for nlite.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Same experience as Jiggles. Never had an issue; I did an install of XP not too long ago on my SATA drive and it went perfectly fine w/o issue.

4. CrimsonThunder

Yeah, maybe your mobo was already set up for that.

5. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Shouldn't matter. I have used an ASRock, gigabyte and Asus mobos with SATA drives with out the need for drivers.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there are SATA ports on your mobo, then the drivers disk that came with the mobo should have the drivers to make them work. When i tried to activate the 4 extra SATA ports on one of my computers recently, I did have to mess with the BIOS settings to turn the extra ports on and tell it how I wanted the ports configured, but after that, Windows found the ports and installed the correct drivers. I'm sure it will be the same for you.

7. CrimsonThunder

Yeah I read that you may have to configure the ports, but I couldnt find any of that in the bios. And Im not even sure if mine came with a disc... Ill have to have a look for it. (may have thrown it out lol)

Thanks for the replies people.

8. starfish

OK my memory is a little fuzzy here. I believe you need XP Service Pack 1 or higher to install to a controller that is running in AHCI mode.

If you disk does not have XP SP 1 I believe the options, are:

Slipstream in SP1,
    Slipstream in the drivers,
    Download the drivers from the hard ware and use the F6 method to install them from floppy
    Install to the disk running in ATA emulation mode.

If the motherboard manufacturer does not have the drivers check the chipset manufacturer's web site. If it is an Intel chipset I do believe they have AHCI drivers for XP. This site might help. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...&ProductProduct=IntelĀ®+Matrix+Storage+Manager