1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memorizing Songs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Choucho, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Choucho

I like to sing, but the problem is a lot of the songs I listen to are in Japanese, Korean, or Mandarin/Chinese. Korean and Mandarin are the languages that give me the most trouble with memorizing lyrics.
    I've been putting the songs on repeat and just reading the lyrics over and over, but this doesn't seem to be helping me at all.
    I was wondering what everyone does to memorize the songs they listen to?

2. Rette

I find if I look at the lyrics for a song I've listened to a few times, I rarely forget the words. I'm not sure if that would help with Japanese/Korean/Mandarin/Cantonese songs, though...

3. GuitarGirl1350

Write them, it helps alot. =]

4. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    With Japanese songs I just put them on repeat. It helps a lot if you understand the words they're singing as well. I find it very difficult to memorise a song if I can't understand what they're saying....

kimi ha kimi dake shika inai yo
    kawari nante hoka ni inainda
    karenaide ichirin no hana
    ... Do you like High and Mighty Color?

5. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're probably having trouble memorizing the songs because the far Eastern languages are so utterly different from English. You have no basis in your language that helps make understanding the lyrics easier.

I (mostly) memorized many German songs, but that is because it's a European language and probably because my mother language is partly derived from it.

6. CelebrityHead

Woah, I hardly ever listen to songs in a language other than English ... well maybe some in Italian but that's it. Uhmm yeah I agree with GuitarGirl, writing them will probably help alot, I guess.

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, I just remember it... I have good memory. I tend to remember lots of totally random things.

8. LorenzG1950

Agree with GuitarGirl and CelebrityHead that writing the lyrics helps a lot. Also breaking the song down to 4-liners helped me. Even better than writing is to actually sing the verses several times. When I was memorizing the national anthem, I would go to the middle of a sports field and sing away until I had it down. A little awkward if someone comes by and wonders what you're doing. :icon_bigg

9. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lorenz, the German National Anthem is among the shortest in the world, if you break it down into 4-liners you only get 2 of them... lol

I remember it from when I studied German... "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit"

10. Today4U

It does help to write it out, or just learn the lyrics first, then add them to the melody!

11. LorenzG1950

Yeah it should be simple but it wasn't. I haven't sung that many songs in German. I guess I have an American memory :slight_smile:.

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
    für das deutsche Vaterland!
    Danach lasst uns alle streben
    Brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
    Sind des Glückes Unterpfand;
    Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes,
    Blühe, deutsches Vaterland.

#11 LorenzG1950, Aug 15, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  12. Choucho

I've never heard anything by High and Mighty Color Missy, what kind of music do they have?

Japanese doesn't really give me much trouble, I find the pronunciation pretty simple, because the letters only have one sound (Unlike English, Korean and Mandarin) though I have to say I still sound hopelessly Canadian when singing in Japanese. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't speak Japanese, or know more than a few random words, but I would really love to learn all those languages. I prefer Japanese over English any day.

Anyway, thank you everyone for the suggestions, I'll try them out tomorrow. ^_^

13. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    High and Mighty Color are J-Pop, but a lot of it is metally.

14. Dantir

I'd prefer to BE Japanese over anything, anyday. :grin:

I really suck at memorizing lyrics too. I've had Ayumi Hamasaki's Fly High on for about 50 times in a row and could barely make out the really fast bit after the first verse, even WITH lyrics! Perhaps I'm not a fast singer/talker. Shame... one day I wanna talk like a native Japanese. ^^

And I know Japanese names are written with family name first... it just sounds better the English way. :grin:

15. Gera-Kun

I can only memorize english and spanish songs...I've tried to memorize "Spicy Marmalade" By Bad luck, I found the Japanese and english lyrics, but even after one week, i still couldn't memorize it! T_T And it only took me one day to memorize Faint by Linkin Park! XD Damn, this sucks...

16. Choucho

Well, if it makes you feel any better I still haven't gotten the second Bridge of Dive by BeForU, and that's the first J-pop song I ever heard.
    I think I might be getting a bit better at singing faster, but not improving enough for me to really tell for sure. *sigh* Oh well I suppose. Losin' by Yuna Ito still gives me some trouble, though at least I can follow when reading the lyrics now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'd prefer to be Japanese too. u.u Or be like BoA and be Korean (I think she is?) but speak Japanese as well.
    One song that makes my head explode; Majimaken by Baby V.O.X. It's a slow song, but almost all of it is this kind of whispered rap... it's a beautiful song really, but I couldn't sing it for the life of me.
    I'm getting better at reading Korean, but I'd still like very much to actually understand the language.
    As for High and Mighty color, I don't really like metal all that much, but it probably wouldn't hurt to listen to something of theirs. Have you ever heard of Metis Gretel?

17. SpikySpice

Sing them in the shower, sing them anywhere, if I cant remember, I can put in some of my own words, as long as it makes sense

but the best thing is to read the lyrics, like to memory a lesson,

The words are hard but the pitches are easy to remember

18. Um...I really don't suggest trying to memorize songs sung in Chinese without having a basic knowledge of the language.
    Mandarin Chinese (that's spoken in mainland China -- as opposed to the speaking style in Taiwan) is a language that stresses correct pronunciation. For example, there are three s-type sounds: "s(i)," "s(hi)," and "sh." Any incorrect enunciation can result in your saying a completely different word. (This is the reason I'm glad my parents are from Taiwan -- the Chinese spoken by Taiwanese people is looser and more relaxed. Oh. And in case you're wondering, I wasn't using pin yin because I hate that teaching style. I learned Chinese from my parents who used the "bo po mo fo" method. Yarly.)

Also, intonation is INCREDIBLY important in Mandarin Chinese. Saying "shiao" with a "down-up" intonation can mean "small" (among other things), but saying the same word with a "down" intonation can mean "laugh" (again...among other things). Regardless of the regional speaking style being spoken, the intonation thing is always true.
    But, you know, intonation isn't as important in songs since people need to sing according to the melodies.

Japanese should be fine, though...as long as you can pronounce the characters correctly in Romanji. But the Japanese language doesn't have as many syllabic stresses as the English language. Just...uh...look out for that. Yeah...
    Oh! And something that many people overlook is the small "tsu" or the "hyphenated character." Remember to doubly pronounce the next consonant -- id est, pause for one extra syllable before saying/singing the next character (after the "tsu.")

I don't know Korean at all, so...I can't provide any advice on that language. Sorry!

Hey! I sound completely pretentious!

19. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Never heard of Metis Gretel, Japanese band?

I definetely would not prefer to be Japanese. I know a half Japanese guy who would shoot you in the face for wishing that fate upon yourself lol. Then again I suppose if you were born Japanese you wouldn't know better.

I love being an Aussie. Hallelujah to freedom and lack of authoritay XD

((Note: I love Japan, some of my bestest ever friends are Japanese and I want to live over there for a while so no insult intended ^_^; .... They're just so uptight.. Generally speaking that is... XS))

20. Double Dubya

Yeah, for me it really helps to write the words down too.