1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Awards and controversy and all that

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Beachboi92, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Beachboi92

Ok so i figured i'd start a thread to look at a few things that i am curious about.
    1) Anyone see Adam Lamberts performance on the AMA's? Opinions?
    I personally thought a lot of it was fine but the face grind thing was to over the top to be defended with a discrimination argument and personally hate him more than ever for 2 reasons 1- he took so much attention from lady gaga's rocking performance, 2- He is more interested in fame than helping out cause and is sending it backwards and hes a big douche/terd sandwich
    2) How the hell does taylor swift beat out lady gaga so many times? Honestly Lady Gaga is 1000x more popular and talented, who is making these decisions cause it seems like something is up to me >_>
    I am wondering if it is maybe a bit of blackballing for all her open support of the LGBT community. Come on the women is Being called the Queen of pop comparable with MJ, Above madonna with some seriously massive success off her very first debut album which put her as a chart topper all across the world including the US and she hasn't been around and selling her stuff as long as any of those other artists... Thoughts?

2. Shevanel

3. RaeofLite

There's another thread about Adam's performance in this forum section. But... I agree. I think it was a bit over the top. Although... his whole theme was S&M... still. On national television? The kissing I was totally fine with.

As for taking anyone's rocking performance? Um... I think every star tries to outperform other stars as is, so... don't shoot me but I think everyone just did their best?

I don't understand the thing about Taylor Swift. Yea she's tiny, petite and kinda pretty but... I don't know. Maybe she's popular because she seems and sings about "innocent things" like "Finding your true love" in a princess/prince context. Of course life isn't like that. It's more like a series of Bad Romance(s). :lol:

4. littledinosaurs

The AMA's seemed like a giant apology to Taylor Swift for the VMA's and Kanye. I don't think she deserved Artist of the year.

5. SRSLYMARK

This.

6. Amy

Amy

Lady GaGa is much less popular.
    And there is no comparing their talent. Taylor Swift does country, Lady GaGa does pop...sort of.

7. sexyalex

I kinda agree with him a bit.

Tylor did not deserve all those awards. YES. However, its the majority votes. We have to remember Tylor has all the republicans, southerners, country music lovers and a segment of the pop market voting for her.

Gaga only has maybe 60% of the Gay community, the support of the small percentage of psycho people in the world, PLUS she has to share the pop crowd with Tylor.

So gaga IS equally as popular (within their markets) and they BOTH are talented.
    -They both play an instrument (which many artists within the pop genre DON'T)
    -They both have great style and a touch of elegance
    -They both write their own music
    -They both have their own concept. Tylor= all american girl next door. (I knew that and I am not even a stinkin American :dry:slight_smile:. Gaga, is the queen of madness and Music goddess of sex! SEX SEX.....
    SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX
    SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX
    SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX'

lol sorry I just had to say that. :grin:

Now! TYLOR should go to Kanye and KISS HIS BLACK :***:!! If it wasn't for him, no one would even feel sorry for her and boost her ratings so much (its simple psychology really!)
    The same psychology Rihanna used to get ratings for her New album by speaking about something that happened months ago 2 weeks before her album release and 2 DAYS before Chris brown's fan tour. <_<
    Why do people use pitty! :dry:
    pitty pitty pitty pitty pitty pitty pitty!

Awwwwh shocks! I am sick of pitty for them people!
    Thats why I spammed the AMA website to vote for gaga (and damn it still didnt make her win! :tears: ) because I a fed up of Tylor. Dont get me wrong, she has good music but. It didn't deserve....

OH WAIT. FARK ME SIDEWAYS! Speaking of artist of the year! Is anyone else shocked as I am that BRITNEY SPEARS and BEYONCE were not nominated for artist of the year?
    THIS YEAR? THIS F:***:KIN YEAR? of 2009!? :eek:
    BRITNEY, GAGA AND BEYONCE WERE CHART TOPPERS!:tantrum: Heck other than that song about the nerd meets boy, boy likes nerd, nerd goes to prom with boy ;O , crap! Tylor songs really spent no time on the top 10 of the top 100 charts. Nore Mtv charts, or VH1, or Yahoo, or Rhapsody nore iTunes... Need I rant more? (of course not. No one like me ranting. Period):eusa_liar *giggles*

Rihanna's performance looked promising when it started and we saw the mechanical HER i guess, thats all she is. Mechanical and false. (like a bad mid-semester exam :dry:slight_smile:
    but when she got to the start of singing the wait is ova, I was outta my mind! I was like...
    *jubfhibEDLBF[ubdsiufbfqUIVB!!!*
    I was about to cuss the TV! She and Gaga, were suppose to be the performance of the NIGHT!

Shakeira delivered! I mean, could use some more of the sexiness she put into the song at the European music awards but, meh. It can pass.

Black Eyed Peas were HOT!

Whitney.....I cried at the end of her funeral song. pssh:dry: good for her though. I guess she finally found her own strength.

I hated that Timberland thingy. Idk what that was. I still want back my 4 minutes and how much seconds they stole from my family viewing.

GreenDay, they did their thing. I was expecting Kings of Leon to jam Use Somebody (since it seems to be the most popular rock song in history in Jamaica ....and Jamaicans DO NOT listen to rock! I might add) So I am guessing its JUST as popular in the US. Meh...

OH. OH OH OH! And speaking of family viewing. I thought Adam's performance was phenomenal! It was like one of the best next to Gaga's. But before I get to Gaga, I dont think Adam should have kissed that guy. It was a good call but bad timing. some other show...not the AMA, it IS family viewing. :confused:

Now, the best for last. GAGA!!!!! :grin:
    Again, was I the only one who had the :eek: look on their face when they saw her rapped up bad romance so quickly?
    I was like....Huh? where is the rest! Come on, where is the rest!
    Then she goes up, starts breaking glass and s:***:t and my older sister is like. "Is this woman mad?" I am like,
    "no! She is genius! Break the piano too!! :grin:"
    But instead, it caught a fire. Even hotter, huh?!

As far as the Adam thing goes. I just dont understand how something so trivial can blast up US media so much. I guess thats how life is when u guys have nothing else to report on. <_< *rolles eyes* >_>
    ....sad people....You guys must come to Jamaica. News news news news news. and more news. News never out of short supply. And never focus on one thing. (like the Michael Jackson death a couple months ago. That was just ridiculous. Couldnt y'all treat it like that lady from Charlies angels. See. I dont even remember her name. The way things are suppose to be :grin:) No offence to MJ fans. I do respect he was one of the greatest performing artists of all time...nonetheless...

I was watching the AMA with my mom and my 9 year old niece. I think having men in his crotch didn't make the sexuality tension between my mom and I any easier.
    After the kiss(especially) we were like

Grabrille*covers eyes and hides under couch cushions*
    My mom and I-
    >_> *eyes meet*<_<
    *silent moment*
    -The end-

8. Shevanel

Taylor Swift does not do country.

9. Tim

Tim

She does... Country, with a twist. I can't remember the exact words that have been used to describe her music, but almost all of it have involved the word 'country' :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Shevanel

Its more pop than anything. If you want me to be generous, its Pop with a "country" twist.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvW6_-TP5cs[/YOUTUBE]
    This is country :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just sayin :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Greggers

She is Country in 2009. Styles evolve.

Thats said, Lady GaGa was kind of robbed. Taylor singing live? Yea, nuff said.

12. Jerr

This was the first thing I read (Well, basically the same thing.) before I even heard a Lady Gaga song.... Yeah, Still not seeing why people are OBSESSED.

She does good things.

She has a great voice.

She has some catchy songs. (Not nearly as good as the hype suggests but I haven't changed stations TOO many times in mid song to hear a commercial instead...)

She is NO Madonna. Whoever is calling her the Queen of Pop well... You know those people you learn about that say a lot of things and you listen but you don't pay attention because you know they are full of :***: and talking out their ass. That is probably the person who said it. OR well, I believe we have all made poor judgments while drunk and now with internet on the phone as common as it is... it is impossible to take it back. And spreads like a wildfire no longer comes close.

Also, these things are voted on by the masses... People can't be trusted. I haven't had faith in the people sense Fany Pak fell into the bottom two towards the end of Season 2 of America's Best Dance Crew. (Truth be told, I haven't had faith in people to make the right choice for a LONG time.)

13. Greggers

You cannot compare Lady GaGa and Madonna talent/music wise because people have different tastes in music, and what sounds like the most amazing thing to one person can very easily be a trainwreak to the next. So its kind of a shitty thing to try and force your view of good music on someone else. Its comparable to people trying to force heterosexuality on someone who is not straight, just give it up cause its not going to happen.

That said, you can compare them in *popularity*, the number of people who happen to like their music. In the current generation, she is very much a "Madonna" figure. She is breaking boundaries, very sexualized, and her music is all over the club/dance scene. Very popular with the gays, more than early Madonna methinks, i might add. I dont think Madonna ever attended dozens of LGBT events such as the HRC dinner or National Equality March after she dropped only her first CD.

Its not rocket science that people are making that comparison.

14. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I totally feel like Lady Gaga got robbed. Sure Taylor Swift had probably the best year out of any singer out there. I don't begrudge her all of the awards she received. She is getting massive amounts of play on both country and pop radio and pretty much every teenage girl in the country loves her. That being said, Gaga should have gotten something. As far as raw talent and artistry goes, she was probably at the top in the pop industry this year, and should have been recognized for it. She has talent, unlike many of the other pop stars like Britney Spears and Katy Perry. Don't get me wrong, I love Britney, but she doesn't have much creative talent. Gaga on the other hand writes, sings, performs, and does fashion. She is actually creative, and is deserving to be given the title of artist.

Also, I get that Michael Jackson was great, but as far as this year goes, he didn't do anything spectacular at all, and I think the two or so awards he got was a little much. Other artists who actually put out some good stuff got ripped off. Gaga wasn't the only one.

Finally, Adam Lambert's performance was mediocre music with a disgusting performance. I don't think anyone cares about the gay kiss. We have seen that a million times elsewhere on TV (soap operas, prime time drama, reality shows, other live TV shows)...it is no longer shocking. What was gross was the face grinding, and pulling on the woman dancer's crotch area.

15. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Early Madonna was more of a teen idol, and girls want to look like her; Madonnawannabees.

She is also as far as I know straight.

Lady Gaga is already a pop icon, she's Madonna of the early 90s, since she skip the whole teen idol part. And she's bisexual.

I think Lady Gaga might potentially be bigger than Madonna herself. And she's not even pretty for being a celebrity.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, buried in all this hype and lame performances, was one truly stupid moment.

The Favorite Album award went to...Michael Jackson's Number Ones.

They actually gave an award to a best-of collection that not only isn't the best album of the year, but it's not even from this year - it came out in 2003. Not only that, but it isn't even the best Michael Jackson best-of! Hell, it's barely a good one. It's WAY too heavy on the Bad material (six songs), whereas the much superior albums Off the Wall (two selections) and Thriller (three) get majorly short shrift. And it's too heavy on the later albums, as well. If you're going to give the award to a Michael Jackson best-of (which apparently you must - dying gets you votes in these things), at least give it to Essential, which covers his entire career, and does an excellent job at it. Better yet, give the award to somebody who actually put out an album this year.

Gargoyle rant over.

Lex

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Erm....you're...joking right? I know you might hate me for this but Gaga has like no talent whatsoever. Her singing is hax, just pathetically enhanced using technology. Her songs are pieces of s**t, I mean yeah great for dance clubs but otherwise have no merit whatsoever. And her herself, she's just a walking fame catcher, anything she does just gains her fame and she loves it. She's as bad as Adam Lambert but with just a bit better tone.....but like I said, it's technologically enhanced. Sorry BeachBoi, but I've been doing music for ages (like about 17 years), with many years of professional training, and that is just...not...singing.

Taylor Swift however has talent, has tone, writes her own songs, and is a total sweetheart.

I rest my case.

18. Mickey

Okay,my opinion is:
    I don't like Lady Ga Ga. I think Adam's "performance" was way too much. And...I'm happy Michael Jackson was honored.
    That's it. I could write so much more,but I got my point across without having to.

19. ohkbye

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK, so I was watching the AMA's with my gay bffl and we could not stop laughing throughout all of Adam Lambert's performance simply because it was terrible. Girl's voice was terrible...that intro had me cracking up honestly shit was whack. We could tell it was some giant ploy for artistic expression...except he wasn't expressing anything, let alone artistically. The eye make-up and acne scars and the hair IT WAS A MESS. But a mess I want to watch all day everyday. Fabulous.

And get off T-Swift's nuts, the girl writes all her own music and has transcended more genres and demographics than anyone has in years. Lady GaGa is my soul sister, but Taylor Swift is my best friend from third grade, you see what I'm saying?

20. Beachboi92

i've heard gaga live in concert (and she is the only artist i like hearing better live than on album, course that could be cause of the hot back-up dancers) and live in many other occasions, she writes everything, does every beat and backbeat by herself, dances, fashion and all. She is a magnificent singer who just happens to also be eccentric making her an easy magnet for attention but she is eccentric cause she is not because it makes her more famous. She has been since she first started performing before anyone even knew who she was. AND she is an absolutely great entertainer. Taylor live (from what i've hard aka flat or pitch flying god awful everywhere) is bad and likely far more enhanced on album than Gaga by comparison if you ever compare gaga live to album. Also Gagas first set of songs that people bash on for being simplistic pop lolyrics where made that way for a reason as they where a parody of current pop culture/fame.

And comparing anyone as being as bad as adam lambert is seriously not even possible
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_zN0_L-fg = adam lambert how :confused:

And Gaga is also a really cool nice and awesome person and a big advocate for LGBT issues
    Also consider how long Gaga has been famous in comparison to others and how famous she is in that time. 4 number 1 hits worldwide under her belt and her belt is made of plutonium *snap*

----------

i feel better knowing that she has 4 songs that are number one in over 20 different countries won the international award for best song and music video though good luck with that one taylor >:grin:

----------

*chart toppers cause i guess there cant be 4 songs number one in 20 different countries although i know she hold the number 1 and 2 slots and 20 different ones :x*

----------

and for future reference when i post about my love for gaga i will do everything short of cutting u over the interwebz to defend her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#20 Beachboi92, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009