1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spilled water on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dare2bProud, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Dare2bProud

Hey Guys! I just spilled water on my year old Macbook Pro! I disconnected the power, took the battery out, took a cloth and wiped up all the water and than tipped the computer over. I heard you should leave it for 24 hours before powering it up again ... ugh ... i feel like an idiot. The apple warranty does not cover this and I have no $$ for repairs. So I don't know what i'll do if this doesn't power up!!!

2. RaeofLite

... Eek. I shouldn't be one to talk, but I try to keep all liquified foods/drinks away from the comp. On a dressor near my desk with a coaster under it. ><

Sorry dude I can't help but I hope it starts up again.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Leave it for at least 24 hours, depending on how much water you spilled. If it was on, you could have damaged it, but if it was off, there's a high likelihood that it will be ok once you turn it back on.

There are cases of computers getting dumped in a lake, fished out, dried off and working fine... so there's hope :slight_smile:

4. shorty

Yup, just leave it a good amount of time to dry out. Ordinary water should be fine as long as it didn't fry something when you first spilled it. After all, they usually wash circuit boards after soldering! My thinkpad has little drainage holes from the keyboard so it doesn't get into the motherboard. I spilt coke on it the other day, and other than the function key being a bit sticky, (up and down wise, not on the key :slight_smile: ) its still working fine.

5. Dare2bProud

I took it to the Apple store, still has warranty, however if they figure out that I spilled water onto it it voids the warranty. Perhaps it dried out in time and it just looks like it over heated or something. I don't know. I'm just very nervous about it. I can't really afford the repairs. :astonished:(

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Just leave it in a warmish place for a day or two and it should be fine. I have had phones that have been on during a boil wash. So long as you make sure its properly dry it wont short or that.

7. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never knew macs could soak-up fluid spills. I thought they were only good for holding doors open.

Joking aside, remove the battery and let it dry for quite sometime.

If you're savvy enough to maybe open some access panels to allow ventilation, I'd recommend it.

8. Dare2bProud

Do you guys think I prematurely took it into the shop than? Today it wasn't even responding to the power cord. The guy at the Apple store was trying different power cords and none of them would. *bites fingers nails* I am so nervous!

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't take it into the store, and DON'T send it off to Apple warranty. Leave it off power (for 24-72 hours), and try it again after that.
    Now, the reason you do not give it to Apple is that all Apple products (along with most mobile devices) have a little chip/object thingy in them which changes colour when wet. So basically, if you've got water in your laptop, you're screwed. So if you don't need Apple support, don't use it for this. Try to keep your warranty, because they can (and will) see that for a repair like this, and bang, your warranty will be gone.

10. -Michael-

With normal laptops its as simple as taing them apart drying ad cleaning them properly

but macs are a nuisance.

Leaving it to dry should help

11. fallendream

put it in a sealed plastic box, put some packets of silica gel in and then put the box near (not on) a radiator for 72 hours then try it.

12. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^ or rice if you don't have silica gel

13. sunbeans

oh wow. this was me last week. I ended up having to get an external keyboard because my keys were pretending to be other keys. good luck sorting it out! All I know is do something asap, because mine wasn't initially too but and then apparently it corroded.. and will supposedly get worse. Some good advice in this thread ! Wow!