1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010s it's cool to be gay

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Andromeda, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It could be just me, but I'm noticing a trend in 09 so far that being gay is the greatest.

Do you think 2010s is going to be the decade when it's really cool to actually be gay, or living the gay lifestyle?

2. sexyalex

lol. I thought I was the only one.

Its true. I heard allot about gay rights, gay hate and gay people being more out the closet within my little homophobic country more than any time in my entire life.

3. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe its something in the music...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s

look at pop culture

Wasn't it only the gay guys who worn tight bright clothing? And isn't electronic music gay to begin with? I think it's going to be a gay decade.

4. RaeofLite

It's about time, dontcha think? When was the last time it was acceptable to be gay... 500BC?? something crazy like that?

5. Greggers

I dont know, it seems that hate crimes are actually increasing in various parts of the world and in America gay rights are at a stand still (either being voted down or delayed).

I cant see it being widely accepted to be gay until America has full and complete equality in all 50 states. Maybe in other countries it will be widely accepted, but the world still looks upon America, even if its just out of the corner of their eye.

I just...cant see it. Im doing alot of reading on African American short stories in university right now and i see many parallels. We seem to be coming out of "hatred" into "tolerance", but the road to "acceptance" is still far off. Quite far. Ill just be happy once we fully transition from "hatred" to "tolerance" because then i dont have to be so afraid to be myself.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends where you mean. For example, pre-war Berlin was actually very homosexually friendly.

7. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Ahh can't say I can see it here anyway mind you NZ is always behind the times so it might be cool here in about 8 years

8. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh I forgot all about the rural and prejudice places

but more of the media being more accepting, I just think 2010s is the decade when lot of change is going to happen. Or at least the music industry.

#8 Andromeda, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  9. RaRa

Probably. I mean each year is getting slightly better then the last.

Location makes a big difference though. I mean being gay in West Hollywood and being gay in a rural town in Mississippi are completely different.

10. Camman3

Location has a serious impact on tolerance and acceptance. In a selfish way, I am thankful for Aparheid: this is because it opened up the subject of acceptance of minority groups, which the human race fought over and eventually we made (the right) decisions. Because of Apartheid in South Africa, South Africa and a few other coutries - Canada, some states in America, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, and (legalised this year) Norway and Sweden - allow Gay Marriage.

Sadly, some countries in Africa do not allow gay marriage, or even allow same-sex hand-holding. Sometimes the penalty can be up to 15 years imprisonment or the death penalty. These countries in Africa also show a lack of progress and growth. Many LEDCs are in Africa because they are in the Economic South. They have grown and matured with the rest of other global populations because of lack of technology and isolation.

I found this site on Wikipedia which is very interesting: It is a list of every country in the world and their laws affecting homosexuality - if its illegal or not, partnerships, gay marriage, acceptable in the army etc. Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_laws_of_the_world

Hopefully other countries will be able to raise the issues in such a collosal way, again, that they will be forced to view the issues of sexuality and equality in other generally-stereotyped characteristics.

11. No One

Personally (so don't pounce on me) I think that saying things like "its cool to be gay" only fuels the "Being gay is a choice" argument. I knwo that my dad says that "They" are trying to draw people to "their horrible life style" and i just feel like no matter how untrue that is saying things like this can make even biggest advocate of gays wonder if maybe they are right. I know that sounds kinda mean of me to say but i just think saying stuff like this would just make things worse.

12. Just Adam

well its only the last oh 300 years its been that bad towards us, mostly to do with the church having a massive push on its values and havign great sway with the monarchy at the time etc etc... then they pushed the book on peopel and things went to shit.

before christianity in western civilisation anyway beeing homosexual was a norm... the wealthy and powerful would often have younger men at their side to pleasure them was seen more high class than some wench ... but meh times change teh world changes and now it changes again ...

will it be good dunno it kinda means teh churh will do what they did then again which they are trying now ...people slightly getting better with time. and i do feel eventually we will out last religion we were here before it and will be after...

we survived teh donosaurs and the ice age, ancient greece where we thrived then the roman empire where it was just a norm...

infact up until about 200 years ago here it was iilegal but because it had beena norm nobody really said anythign tehn the church pushed teh values and generations of morons were born but thankfully church didnt keep up with times and is becomign irrelevent to the people again so its all good. :slight_smile:

#12 Just Adam, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  13. shorty

I agree with this. I don't want it to be cool to be gay. I just want it to be accepted as not an abomination and to be accepted by the majority. I don't want to convert people, I just don't want to be harassed/frowned upon/thought less of/beaten up/etc because of being gay.

14. pteen

It might be and I hope so. I have noticed my mom is a bit less predudice prejudice againts homosexuals. On the news there was a gay guy talking on the news after kissing the pianoist. I was surprised when she said nothing bad about it.

15. adam88

Hmm.. not entirely true. In the 50s the UK was horrid in their treatment of gays. Just read this article on the key pioneer of information theory and computing, Alan Turing

16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

YEah its slooooooowly becoming acceptable but still.. theres some countries where they still don't accept it.

17. Zume

I agree with both.. but personally I don't think it should matter what day, month, year, decade, etc. it is. Sure people may be coming around and becoming more accepting of us but there will always be those people who disagree with who we are and will try to put us down..they will never change. I really don't care if it's a good time to come out to the majority of the population or not..if you are happy with who you are it shouldn't be any different than any other decade..be yourself regardless in my oppinion. That's what I'm doing.. if some people are bothered that much by it..they are the ones with the problem and are in the wrong. Even if it's not this decade that we are totally accepted for who we are..it will be damn close. The old politicians will leave office and will be replaced with people with more open minds.

18. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I had a straight friend in Paris who said his parents wanted him to be gay because it was hip and trendy.

19. GoBabyGoGo

well right now, in inner sydney, and living with 3 lesbians, its fucking awesome

20. Zach1992

I hate the "gay is cool" attitude, because all it does is create more fake college lesbians.