1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New film idea

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RaeofLite, Nov 28, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

A friend of mine is trying to break into the screenwriting/film industry. He sent me a quick blurb of an idea.

Please read it and answer:
    1) What's your age and gender
    2) Would you watch the film?
    3) What are your immediate thoughts?
    4) What does it sound like the movie is about
    5) What other genre movies do you like to watch?

Idea: A lonesome, outcasted teen disguises himself on a popular networking site (facebook or something similar), to interact with a lost love but finds himself on the other end of a dangerous obsession.

Thanks I really appreciate this ladies and gents! :icon_bigg

2. ArcaneVerse

1: 19 male
    2: Yes but it would have to be original and be a little bit dark and grungy an indie\art house flick. not some daytime hallmark movie thats a total cheesefest.
    3: Has potential but could also be very generic.
    4: Sounds like an internet predator movie but not soo much with the pedo stuff more someone taking advantage of someone's naivety and wanting of love they cant find elsewhere.
    5: ill watch just about anything but I love quirky deep movies.

Hope this helps =]

3. 1) 20, male
    2) Yes
    3) So it's a horror/thriller?
    4) Sounds like a hybrid of Hard Candy and Strangeland.
    5) Drama, indie, and horror.

Tell your friend good job on the solid logline. I hope his first ten pages are just as good.

4. AtomicCafe

1) What's your age and gender
    17, female
    2) Would you watch the film?
    Maybe, leaning towards no.
    3) What are your immediate thoughts?
    Sounds WAY too generic. It really depends on how the obsession part was written. Like the others said, I'd only appreciate it if the movie were horror and more indie. Otherwise, it just sounds like all of those news articles about friends pretending to be other people on Myspace and causing their friends to commit suicide and whatnot.
    4) What does it sound like the movie is about?
    Sounds like what I said in the above. Whoops. Could possibly be a pretty creepy movie, almost with a Hitchcock-ish feel.
    5) What other genre movies do you like to watch?
    My big genres are horror and science fiction.

5. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1)21/Male
    Further info: my friends and I are avid movie geeks and have done some films of our own, though almost exclusively they are parodies or farses of common Hollywood tropes and themes. And of rather poor production values.
    2)Rather unlikely, not my genre much at all. However, if it were my friend, I would watch it in any event.
    3)I will be a little more precise.

Immediate thoughts are "meh." This is 'generic' in the sense that it could be any of the dozens of thriller/horror movies produced every year. It is attempting to pray on adolescent feelings of desire and attraction, and the thought that everyone has after their highschool experience that "maybe I should have asked so-and-so out." A little textbook.

However, we are dealing with a one line description, so dismissing the idea on those grounds is absolutely stupid. For instance, Star Wars' one-liner is "A young farmer boy must save a princess in order to save all he knows from a terrible weapon of evil." WOOO, like that hasn't been written before.

My point is, you can do a lot with the a base line, simple plot like this. It is not in and of itself innovative, but it can go places.

NOW, if they want advice on where to go with this, I will offer a few unsolicited suggestions:

• DO NOT make up shit when it comes to stalking someone over the internet. Just don't. There is NO NEED to make up creepy things you can do over the internet when the real things you can do are far more terrifying. Do your research, because film crews don't EVER do their research. A good place to start is the cover story on the latest issue of Wired magazine about disappearing in the digital age. Turns out it is rather impossible.
    • If you want this to hit home, get some commentary in there about our information driven age. How much information is too much? Do we really know how much information about us is out there and who controls it? We don't, and you would be VERY surprised about what Google knows about you; they scan your email for keywords, and what you are talking about can find its way into other sites. The targeted adds on Facebook? Yeah, Google helps target them.
    • Please don't write generic post-highschool frat boyz and airheads. You're dealing with a 'real' subject that people of that age deal with: their very public Facebook lives. Make average characters that average college students can relate to. The college kids in Transformers 2 are NOT ACCEPTABLE, because all guys are not screw-able and all girls are NOT impossibly hot.

4)The film sounds like it is about paranoia, isolation, desperation, and the alienation caused by the real emotions and experiences of teens/college kids in contrast to the trumped-up expectations of society.
    5)I stick to older Sci-Fi, BAD movies, and a slew of classics. If good fantasy movies were ever made, then I'd watch those too. I like writing "revenge of the small town" stories (see Waking Ned Divine and Saving Grace {movie}), parodies, and the odd dystopian thing.

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    1) 18
    2) Yes if it was quite dark and gritty
    3) Sounds a good concept
    4) Sounds to me like the film is about obssesion and danger but would need to be very dark and twisted not some crappy mainstream hollywood
    5) Horror and musicals

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) I’m 18, and I am a male.
    2) Yes I would.
    3) Sounds creepy, but in an almost relatable way. It could be something really cool if done right.
    4) It seems to be about an obsession the protagonist has with an old flame. He joins a socializing website in order to hopefully reconnect with him, but winds up harboring a dangerous affection that fuels his obsession for him. In short, he’s crazy in love with this person, and refuses to let the relationship they had pass.
    5) I watch a little bit of everything to be honest. I have a “why not” attitude when it comes to watching movies, but every so often one comes along that I drop everything to see.