1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alarm program for the Computer?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Fiender, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Fiender

Does anyone know of a program that I can download that would let me put in a time (or preferably a bunch of separate times), and when the program sees that the computer's time matches one of the set alarms, it makes a noise or makes a notification pop up?

I could really use such a program haha.

2. SlickyPants

Windows XP has something built in that lets you run a program or file at a specified time. I'm sure later versions of Windows have something similar

It can be accessed two ways. You can either go to the Control Panel (Classic View) and got to "Scheduled Tasks".

You can also just go to C:\Windows\Tasks directory. (or whatever drive-letter you have assigned)

From there it's pretty straightforward. You do need to have an Administrator account though.

I use it to play music in the morning to wake me up. The only problem is remembering to make sure my volume knob for my speakers is turned up and that the external hard-drive that I keep my music on is turned on and connected.

I also use it to write little reminders for anything that I have coming up in the future. I type them up in notepad, save them, and schedule it appropriately.

Another thing I use it for is to sync up my computer's clock each day. Sure, Windows can do it every week automatically but I wanted it to be a little more accurate (I was losing something like 20 seconds every day)

My boss isn't really computer savvy. He knew he should be backing up all his business stuff on a regular basis and he asked me if there was some easy way to do it. I set up a scheduled task to run a batch file every week. It basically copied his important business stuff to a new directory (the current date is the directory name).

Oh, and if you're running another operating system then here's hoping someone else can help you :slight_smile: