1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The good and the bad... of facebook

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RaeofLite, Nov 30, 2009.

?

Are you on facebook? Are out "out" on facebook?

1. Yes, I'm on fb, and out!

30 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Yes, I'm on fb, and partially out... kinda?

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Yes, I'm on fb, and not out.

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. No I'm not on fb-I don't like it/I don't have time for it

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. No I'm not on fb, but I wish I was or other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RaeofLite

Aaah the good and bad of facebook...

Post your thoughts here.

What's good about it, what's not? And everything in between. Are you "out" on it? Or at least expressing your open opinion about LGBT issues or are you keeping it professional?

----------

I would say that the good thing is, I can be myself. Although once I go job searching I may have to modify my account a bit. But that aside, I'm out. :slight_smile:

..But family seems to poke fun and make comments on some photos which is annoying. (They have no life maybe?) :frowning2:

2. mydogstewie

Well, it says "Interesting in: Men and Women" I don't know if I would call that out, but if they see it they know and most people know already

3. jazzrawr

Oh, Facebook.
    I'm out on Facebook, which was a big step for me, but 'tis done. I'm open about my sexuality and opinions with everyone in person, so I'm the same way on Facebook. :slight_smile:

4. touchofgrey

I'm out on facebook-- figured, why the hell not? It's not a secret in my life.... I just don't talk about it all the time...people may as well know. No one's mentioned anything except my older cousin who wrote me a note and congratulated me on coming out-- super positive! (I have a wonderful family.)

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't need it to be on facebook... I only came out recently, I don't want to make a big deal of it and I don't want everyone finding out all at once. I've told a few people who will take care of the rumour-mongering for me. People are bound to find out of their own accord now. It's like setting a snowball rolling from the top of a mountain...

6. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    technically I'm "out" on facebook in that it says "Interest in: Men" but I don't really post anything beyond that. For the most part I just changed the "interested in" category and left it. Haven't heard a thing from anyone, although I'm sure some know.

7. partietraumatic

I don't display the 'interested in' part on my profile, since i believe thats far from the most important piece of information about me. Other things on there tell much more important things about me as a person, such as religious beliefs and political beliefs.

8. Greggers

I could not hide it on facebook if i tried :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Id have to lie in about every single place possible and be an entire different person (AKA me in highschool) because i just suck at conforming to my gender norms.

9. Same here. Honestly, if Facebook asked for my orientation, I would put "gay", but "interested in" just sounds like I'm desperately looking for a relationship or something.

10. Gurds101

The first thing I did when I told myself I would go through with coming out was get rid of interested in men... I belong to many "gay" type groups, and on coming out day put a silohuette coming out of a closet that said "coming out day"... so it doesn't say interested in women, but I think it's obvious.

11. littledinosaurs

I am on facebook.
    My profile doesn't say anything, but to be fair i don't have much on it anyways in the terms of details. (i had details up but i took most of them down)
    I am part of several LGBT groups and such and it wouldn't bother me if anyone said something to me about it.
    So yes.

12. Gaetan

It took a lot of courage on my part to uncheck "Interested in: women" and just leave it blank. I joined Facebook over a year ago and, at the time, wasn't even out to myself. Yet I felt a ping of guilt for putting down what I knew was a lie when I filled that in. Looking back, I wished I'd just left it blank to start with.

I intend to, once I am out to my close friends and family (I'm crazy and have them as friends, yes) I will set it to Interested in: Men. As that will show up on all my friend's live feeds now...I'll just let it do that, too. :grin:

13. GoBabyGoGo

out on fb but i dont think anyone has even noticed! my closest friends already knew anyway.

and facebook really annoys me. it just seems shallow -- what people say, the quizes (OMG!), the millions of photos people post that just look pretentious and how people can have 200++ friends, ie. everyone they have ever met or talked to in their life!... but thats just my opinion

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I joined I wasn't out at all. I remember seriously thinking about putting in: "interested in women", but I decided against it. I filled the others in perfectly, which leaves my profile with just one glaring absence.

I know I thought that some people might see that and come to some conclusion based on this, but if they have, they never let me know.

I never changed it. Lately it has been bothering me that I still keep it hidden. However, I have all my friends in one big group. And if I'd change it, I'm not going to do it the cowardly way by keeping it out of my feed.
    Most of my real-life friends know already (and all of my non-real-life friends are people from EC, so they already know as well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). None of my colleagues know, but I'm not bothered anymore about them knowing.

However, I'd rather tell my cousins and especially my grandparents :eek: first before facebook beams this trivia about me to their desktops :icon_wink

15. Aoifeee

I have no indicator of sexual preference on my Facebook...I keep it public and I'm friends with some family on it and don't really think it's necessary information for them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: