1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Non-Singles

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Andromeda, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

One that comes to mind is Ted, Just Admit It... by Jane's Addiciton. It's the least downloaded song off of that album on iTunes (Nothing's Shocking), but I think it is fantastic. It did take a while to grow on me, but it is one of my favorite songs now.

3. adam88

"Single" as in charting single or released as a single? Or do you mean "song you think is good but doesn't get a lot of attention"?

If the latter, Nightwish - Meadows of Heaven. Last track on the album, makes me think that maybe, just maybe, for those seven minutes and ten seconds Nightwish is the new Pink Floyd. Then I remember the rest of the album. :frowning2:

EDIT: Well, the rest of the album isn't bad, just not worth listening to half of it.

4. Greggers

Hmm...

Starstruck off Lady GaGa's The Fame. I thought it had just as must dance potential as Just Dance and even more than her Pokerface and Love Game singles. VERY catchy song, and it has this almost hip-hop edge to it? Not really hop-hop, but something...different...about i. No other dong gets me dancing faster than this one though.

Billy Brown off Mika's Life in Cartoon Motion. I dont *think* this one was ever released as a single, hard to know though since he promoted this album potentially MORE than Fergie's Duchess, and thats hard to do. Its a great song about guy gets girl, guy cheats on girl with guy, guy runs away, guy gets girl. Its playful, fun, and upbeat. The lyrics are a LOLtastic experience and make for a great sing along.

5. Phantasma

I 100% agree. Meadows of Heaven is such a beautiful song. I hope they go back to a more symphonic sound with the next album. I found that Dark Passion Play was very power metal for them, definitely a change in sound.

6. pirateninja

Freudian slip there? :grin:

7. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Madonna's "Into The Groove" was never officially released as a single in the United States. that's a shame really, it's an 80's masterpiece.

8. adam88

Which is weird- their earlier stuff was more power metal than symphonic too (Wishmaster comes to mind), and it really wasn't until Century Child and Once that they started seriously playing around with the symphonic stuff.

That said, I hated Poet and the Pendulum. It was like they were trying to recreate the popularity of Ghost Love Score while making the most boring fourteen-minute song imaginable. I saw them live in 2008 and this song was sorta stuffed awkwardly into their set. My feet got tired. :frowning2:

9. Miss Bubbles

I like Lady Gaga's Fashion. I never knew about that song until i tried to find lady gaga songs on a music site. Now I llllllllllllloooovvvveeeeeeee IIIIIIIIIIttttttttt!

10. Harve

In more obscure music what is released as a single or not doesn't really matter, especially not in the last few years. But Florence And The Machine's Cosmic Love looks like it won't be released, ever. Sufjan Stevens - Majesty Snowbird has never been recorded in a studio, only played live - it's by far my favourite song of his, complete genre blurring. Also the only version of Johnny Foreigner - Candles isn't worth listening to, but it could be incredible if rerecorded.

11. Apocalypte

[youtube]xK3qylwd-M0[/youtube]

Too epic to be released as a single :slight_smile:

12. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l93K93-Cjs[/YOUTUBE]

Ughhhh I hate doing this, but I guess this is probably at least one of them. I have too many favorites. I don't like listening to 1 song at a time anyway, I'm a listentothewholealbumordie person xD

13. adam88

Great Tool suggestion! I've been listening to Lateralus a lot recently (tracks re-arranged according to my own theory, of course), but H. is a great track. :slight_smile:

14. Phantasma

That is true. Tuomas seems to shift back and forth with his composing. Angels Fall First and Oceanborn were both largely power based. Wishmaster was the first time (in my opinion) that the symphonic sound stayed relatively consistent throughout the entire album (Kinslayer, Come Cover Me, Bare Grace Misery, Deep Silent Complete, Dead Boy's Poem) Then, of course, we have the masterpiece that is Century Child. It seems to have been shifting back to power since Once.

Poet and the Pendulum was a decent song, but I do agree that it seems they were trying to hard to create another epic, which just isn't going to happen. Ghost Love Score can't be touched, in my opinion. I think the change in styles for Dark Passion Play has quite a bit to do with the change in singer as well. Anette doesn't really have the voice for the more symphonic style tunes. It was definitely power based. (Amaranth, Bye Bye Beautiful, Master Passion Greed, Sahara, etc.) They were trying pretty hard to establish a sound that was strictly different from the Tarja material in my opinion.

I saw them in '08 too.. fantastic show, but I know what you mean. The setlist was a little bit jumbled, trying to incorporate the fan favorites while still needing to find room for stuff from the new disc.

(I'm a huge Nightwish nerd, if you can't tell from this post :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

15. "All Apologies" by Nirvana is my favorite by far.

16. davo-man

Ring Ring by Mika off of Life in Cartoon Motion. I cannot believe that that did not get released as a single. Like, it's almost as good as Telephone by Lady Gaga and Beyonce (and have similar styles/themes)

Also, most of the first Savage Garden is epic win, as is most of Pink's albums, Funhouse and I'm Not Dead. In fact, the song "I'm Not Dead" is freakin win in particular. As for Lady Gaga, if she doesn't release Speechless, I'll be surprised and disappointed. Off of The Fame, Brown Eyes and Again Again always get me :grin: (You can tell I like her ballad stuff :grin:)

17. adam88

Agreed about Annette. I like her voice, but she indeed lacks Tarja's range.

I used Wishmaster as an example as it's their most consistent album. I like every single song on it, and the tracklist is done well. Plus it ends with Fantasmic. :eusa_danc

Don't be ashamed, I'm a Nightwish nerd too. Consider that Ghost Love Score is the song that got me back into metal... yeah. :slight_smile:

18. Phantasma

Agreed that Wishmaster is their most consistent work, but it's not my favorite overall. I'm a die hard Tarja fan, so adjusting to Anette's more pop-ish vocals threw me when I first heard DPP. But, I don't want to hijack the thread more than we already have.. so I'll be quiet now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Cracked Actor

The whole The Man Who Sold the World album by Bowie. The whole album, really. He did no promotion for it whatsoever, but it's such a great piece.

20. littledinosaurs

This is a non-single that I currently like a lot: Rite Of Spring - Angels & Airwaves