1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haunted Laptop

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Austin, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys. When I put my laptop to sleep, sometimes in the middle of the night it turns on by itself. I don't understand why it's done this lately.... :X I have windows 7... anyone know whyyy? And if you could explain things I should check to see why, please do it in detail if you can I'm not great with windows 7 yet.

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Turning it off and closing the lid?

Sensible answer:
    It could be down to bad communication between your laptop and windoz. Thus windoz sends out an error waking your laptop. Simplest solution is said above.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do shut the lid to put it to sleep.

4. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Whats wrong with switching it right off saving power and battery life as you aren't continuously charging it.

Have a look in the control panel about power saving see if there's something that would cause it.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because it takes longer. Plus sometimes I wanna put it to sleep for only like 20 min or so. Rather than leave it on I'll let it sleep, but takes too long to shut down and start up. And this really isn't an issue I should be having. I already checked the power options and it's only about when it shuts off/sleeps but thanks. :slight_smile:

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Try this fix:

Start type: Device Manager,
    Nework Adapter (right clicking the one that you use possibly the wireless one),
    Properties,
    Power Management,
    Uncheck "Allow this device to wake up..."

To find out what event/device woke up your Windows from its sleep state, go to command prompt (type cmd on the Run/Search box and press ENTER), then type this:
    powercfg – lastwake

To get the most detailed info (and probably easiest) on the device that wakes your Windows up during the sleep, type:
    powercfg –devicequery wake_armed

HTH

#6 Jiggles, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2009
  7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! :slight_smile: I didn't exactly follow that, but I changed wake up times to "disabled" which i think would fix it. You got me to look harder tho, so thank you!

8. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

If your way doesn't work try my way after that. I would try and see what caused your PC to wake with that command line. :slight_smile: