1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music elitists

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Dec 12, 2009.

1. God, I fucking hate them. You know, the kind that says "Yeah, this is the greatest band of all time and anything mainstream is for pussies!"? Yeah. I've encountered a whole lot of 'em. Although I think that listening to mainstream Pop/Rap is worse than being put on the rack, I still will have the occasional guilty pleasure. In general, I am a rock fan. Almost any Punk, Grunge, Alternative, Goth, or Metal music makes me happy. I'm not one of the people who says that listening to anything but the heaviest Metal is a pussy who cried at the end of Marley & Me. I'll give you an example of a music elitist:

Elitist: Goddamn, this band (Nirvana) sucks balls. I bet they're all fags.

Me: Um, nope. First off, I do not like that word in any context. Second off, none of them were gay. Kurt might've been bisexual, but it's hard to prove. They're one of the greatest bands of all time for many reasons. They influenced a generation, helped kill Hair Metal once and for all, and channeled true angst in their music. To say anything less is disrespectful to the legacy they left behind.

Elitist: No, they didn't show emotion! Not one love song (which is false, BTW) means that they didn't have hearts. They should learn from Shakira. Now THAT'S an artist!

Me: Bullshit. Shakira came out after them and sounds just like everything else. She couldn't write her way out of an empty well.

Elitist: She makes me cry with every song. The passion, the emotion! It's all you could ask for. She truly represents Latin America and makes me proud to be a fan and a Latino.

Me: Yeah, yeah. That's nice, but what has she contributed? What will her legacy be, exactly?

Elitist: Love! The most important thing of all. Music isn't entertainment. It's an expression of love. Anything else is just screaming and stupidity.

Me: Whatever, dude. Go back to watching reruns of stupid-ass soap operas that rip off everything else.

Oh, and this person also thinks that any American actor is horrible just because they don't perform in Spanish. He says that Spanish is the universal language and it is the most beautiful sound. What a dumbass.:lol:

2. Greggers

How does saying
    make you any better?

Arguing about music is in general just a stupid idea. Everyone is going to have a unique taste in music and no one is going to agree 100% on everything.

I mean even look at two people who both like the same artist. One might say <blank> song is their best, and the other might say <blank>.

Its useless to try and say one artist is better than another. It truly is. You can compare a few things like how they differ live from their CD, but in general most everything about music is subjective. Agree to disagree and move on. Anyone who trash talks an artist is just asking for it.

...unless that artist is Taylor Swift. Just kidding. Shes not bad if you like that kind of thing. Well, actually, she is. Kidding. Kind of. Well, no. But yes. Kidding.

3. Yes, I was harsh with this dude. I will admit that. However, he's also told me that all musicals in English are for fags and anyone who watches horror movies should be locked up. I take offense to both of those things. Luckily, his bullshit statements about things are slowing down a bit. He's also called Jodie Foster and Meryl Streep one-trick ponies.

4. Phantasma

Some of your responses to him sounded very elitist in their own way.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: just sayin'

5. Greggers

WHAT?@?$?!~%?$!#?@$%!

Bitch dont be saying NOTHING 'bout Meryl Streep. Has he ever SEEN a Meryl Streep movie? She is a goddess. It is an honor to even watch her on screen. I thought this guy was just an ass, but its clear that he needs to be locked up in some kind of very small jail cell. Right now.

Music? Sure, say my favorite artists are lame. You can interpret music whatever way you feel like. But dont you DARE insult the name of one of the greatest actresses ever.

6. Jerr

Yeah... that whole thing makes me think you don't so much hate music elitist... you just hate the ones who's opinions differ from yours...

Maybe you worded what you meant to say wrong. I'm just saying that was my impression.

7. I told you so, Greggers! Even if English isn't his first language, he should still be able to recognize what true talent is. She's the most acclaimed actress ever for a reason. I think out of all of her films, he's seen Mamma Mia! and MAYBE Doubt. He also calls her "Barbara Streep" for whatever reason. He says that Lucero is the greatest actress ever and hasn;t won any Oscars or been recognized by the average human being because of "American racism". Even though he'll defend Latins 100% of the time and do nothing but bash
    African-Americans even though they already get enough shit. Ugh.

#7 AlexPatrickMorrissey, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  8. Cracked Actor

Elitists suck. xD

But I don't like it when people call Shakira, or whatever singer, an "artist". :frowning2:

And by the way, spanish is hermoso.

9. MusicIsLife

i think with someone like that you need to agree to disagree. I get crap all the time for liking "emo" and every metalhead i know takes great pride in harassing me about it. I dont ague back because their kind is stubborn and won't listen to reason. I think its the same with this guy.

10. GoBabyGoGo

i am *so* a music elitist lol

i have the best music taste in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. djt820

I could say Nirvana is my absolute least favorite grunge band. Sure, Im a music elitist but I am in a different fashion. For example, I could say I dislike Linkin Park and give a reason WHY I dont like them other than "This shit's gay." Plus, youre not a true music elitist unless you like Jazz. Now those are true music elitists. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Shevanel

See, You're also an elitist-elitist xD

13. partietraumatic

firstly there is NO point arguing about music as it is purely subjective. Its one of the few areas where 'i just don't like it' is a valid reason, since love or hate of music is often based on something you can't even describe. For whatever reason you just love or hate a particular song/band/genre. So therefore there is no point in arguing about it.

Having said that there is one type of person that annoys me. 'The Music Snob' as i call them. This is the sorta person who likes to think of themself as a bit of a music academic, they like complicated musicality. The most common feature of this person is a refusal to accept that the ability to write simple, catchy, pop is a rare talent. They will tell you that most pop artists are rubbish. For some reason they simply can't accept that the ability to write something catchy that everyone can remember and sing along to or hum as they go about their day, is just as valid a talent as the ability to write a complicated harmony with an unusual time signature and an odd key

They annoy me lol

14. adam88

Music elitists fall into two camps: fanboys/girls and audiophiles.

The former group is as you stated, they like what they like and everything else isn't worth considering.

The latter group will listen to anything, but if it's poorly recorded will bash it to hell and back. Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication and Metallica's Death Magnetic are both lambasted all the time for being poorly recorded. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I hang out among the second group mostly. While they're still elitist, at least they listen to a wide variety of stuff. (too much jazz though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

15. djt820

Analog recording ftw! :grin:

16. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

<3

17. adam88

:eusa_naug Digital low noise floow FTW!

Just kidding. :grin: I own a turntable and many, many records and can honestly say that both digital and analog have their ups and downs... literally in the case of a vinyl record. :grin: