1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model's Photographs Banned

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Andromeda, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Greggers

Er, reading that article i didnt pick up on the "banning because it makes older women want to be like her". That would suggest they are banning the article because people...want to look beautiful? (an odd thing to ban a beauty ad for)

I agree that in an ad for a beauty product photoshop should not be allowed. Thats just horrible deception. If a car ad said "This vehicle gets <twice as much gas milage as it actually does>" in their ad, shit would hit the fan. I see no difference in something claiming to give you results they had to edit in photoshop to receive. But honestly, if the fact this is a problem is because its giving people body image issues then they have bigger fish to fry than a little touchup around a 60 year old's eyes.

3. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

i think banning the ads is going a little far. anyone with half a brain cell would know that most, if not all ads, are touched up in some way.

yes it is misleading to show that it takes away all signs of age or whatnot but i dont see the big deal.

4. Astaroth

I think it would be better to ban the banning of things.

5. Phantasma

Photo retouching has been happening for decades. Why people are suddenly so upset with it, I don't know..

6. littledinosaurs

This.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    False Advertising.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is basically fraud. If you couldn't ban misleading advertising, imagine the plague of crackpot bullshit products that would be flooding the market.

I think this is just a minor step toward reducing (and hopefully eventually banishing) the terrible toll the cosmetics industry takes on the self esteem of women (and some men) of ALL ages.

9. RaeofLite

The cosmetic and fashion industry/some celebs are horrible role models for young women... and some airbrushing of course can make it worse in some cases. We need healthy looking women, not women who look like they live off cigarettes, soda and water. I think magazines like Shape and Fitness are awesome for this.

10. Astaroth

I absolutely agree. But I don't think that banning is the answer. I suspect that a better strategy would be to force any company that claims to somehow enhance physical looks not to use photo retouching. That, I absolutely agree, is false advertising. If your product is smooth skin, then any advertisement of it should include actual skin, not the Healing Brush from Photoshop. In this instance, I think that the ad campaign would learn a better lesson from legal prosecution on the basis of false advertising than it would by simply banning the image. Replacing the retouched image with a more realistic one would be fine too.

My snide little statement earlier was more meant for humor. Sort of like... having a meeting about having meetings. :lol:

P.S. Twiggy looks good regardless of whatever gunk is on her face.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like we never disagreed then