1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone good with computer errors?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tim, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim

So, on Monday, I got a phone call from my mom while at the Food Bank, accusing me of messing with the computer, because it wont stop entering power save mode, I told her I didn't touch it, and I got home, was good for about a hour, then BOOM power save mode. Now I can't enter it for more than a few minutes before the computer essentially shuts off and enters a power save mode I can't take off.

Unfortunately, I do not have the money to A. Get a new computer or B. Get some help from a professional.

So I was wondering if anyone might know of anything that might cause the computer to do something like this. Everything I've read online states check to make sure that the cords are all plugged in and the dust is cleared out of the tower, did both. (Sister also accused me of vacuuming out the inside... does she think I'm stupid? -.-)

Neither worked, at all. Stated check the performance settings and change everything to Take No Action, rather than shut down, did that, didn't work. The site also states it might be a virus, so next step is a virus scan I will run overnight, but I VERY much doubt it, as I've been extremely safe with any downloads since my reformat about 2 months ago. Then the final step was a reformat, which I will probably do either way, just to make sure (unless the virus scan happens to catch something)

Another site said that the power supply is most likely dead/dying, so that when the computer tries to run something intensive, the power supply tries to switch on, fails, and enters power save mode. Now, this computer has 44,583 hours of on time, according to the computer itself (which is a little over 5 years of time). Now, from what I'm reading, the power supply on a 2003 HP Pavillion Desktop PC is about 5 years, so to be honest, that seems a bit plausible.

However, I'm posting here in hopes someone might know of another reason this may be happening, if not, my sister will be ordering a new power supply, and we shall have fun trying to figure out how to install it. (What I'm referring to is the metal square thingie inside the tower XD, the one with a fan on the back <_<)

I'm running the computer in safe mode currently, which has no issues at all, which is why my mom is confused as to why the computer is acting odd. I mean, I can have safe mode open for hours with no issues. I don't, because I know it's dangerous to use safe mode while browsing internet, but atm, this is the only way I have to access the net XD

2. mattypants

im finding myself leaning towards the power supply

though if it can run in safe mode fine..../enter confusion

3. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience when computers start doing this, there is something infecting the computer. A faulty power supply would cause problems regardless whether you're in safe-mode or not.

I would recommend downloading an antivirus software. I prefer ESET. You can get a free 30-day trial. You should be able to install and run it in safe-mode.

Were I working on it for someone, I would load a LINUX live-os CD and retrieve your files. I would then reinstall windows.

4. adam88

Yeah this is weird. I've had resets randomly happen once... in that case it was a bad stick of RAM, the computer would just black out and reboot once in a while until I swapped out the stick. Still, a virus check in safe mode is a good idea to start with, I agree.

Swapping out the power supply is easy, just remember to plug in everything you unplugged on the motherboard, drives and cards, then screw the metal cube back into the upper left of your computer, fan out. Easy. :slight_smile:

5. fallendream

i want to say power supply but im not sure, find a cpu and RAM tracker - i have a widget for my desktop startbar - and see if it shuts down a particular %; then id heck the inside parts. it could be a loose connection (check all the screws inside, etc.) or a virus. id virus scan, check the cpu and RAM then id check loose connections. have the new hardware as a last resort.

6. Tim

Tim

Just reformatted the computer, again -.- Still doesn't work, but still runs in safe mode.

Safe mode prevents the computer from running anything too intensive for the computer, it will instantly shut down the PROGRAM, not the computer if it tries to access the power supply, which is leading me to believe it is in fact the Power Supply.

My sister is trying to find one that will work with our computer, and she'll order it. ._. Now, if only there were a way to get sound in safe mode, and I'd have no problems XD (Yes, I know it's not the best thing to run it in safe mode, but I have all protection up, even in safe mode, XD)

7. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Check ram. If you have two stick installed take one out then run it. If it switched off try the other one if it still does it then its more likely to be something else.

8. Tim

Tim

I'm assuming it's not that. I've tested it essentially by trying to use all the RAM in safe mode (Gogo being stupid), and nothing happened. XD

9. Zach

I have had computer memory problems, and power supply problems drive me darn near crazy at times. I also know from first hand expereance, that if you suspect a virus is the cause of your problems, and if you are running windows as an operating system, DO NOT choose the "Quick" format option. Select the regular format option. It may sound crazy, but I know first hand that some "stuff" does survive a quick format. I support 3 servers and 80+ work stations where I work, and I've run into problems using the quick format options more than a few times.

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

That's the only real way of testing it. Power supply problems are only like it not turning on, blue smoke coming out of it. xD Also with it being a HP it may not have a standard power supply. Meaning you have to get one from HP possibly costing $$$! So you cant go and get one of the shelf.

11. Tim

Tim

I didn't use the Quick Format :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A full reformat only takes about a hour, lol. The quick one is about 20 minutes.

----------

Well, considering I only have 512 MB ram, and it's one stick, I can't really do that. And RAM sticks compatible with this computer are about 5x the cost of a new power supply for said computer. >_>

HP is a butt when it comes to keeping things manufactured.

12. Tim

Tim

After spending $30 on a new power supply, it still had the issues. Cue sister pissed she just spent $30 on a power supply we didn't need. (But we kinda did either way, the old one's fan wasnt even working anymore, XD)

Then she noticed that when the mouse was unplugged and not working, it wasnt shutting off. Strange.

So we kept it unplugged, everything was fine. Internet said most likely a short somewhere in the mouse/mouse cord was causing a mini power surge or something like that. Cue $15 replacement mouse. (Ironically, I went to plug in old mouse after all this, to return new one, and it no longer works)

Still resets. Hmmm...

Then it occurs to me: Maybe it's the mouse jack. So I plug the mouse into the USB port on the front where the keyboard was, and voila, no problems.

So, $45 later, and the issue was that the mouse, keyboard, and 2 of our USB ports have somehow been corrupted. No idea how to go about fixing that though. -.- But everything works fine, so meh. (Have 4 USB ports in the back of the computer, 2 are the issues, other 2 have printer and mouse in now, keyboard is in frontal USB port)

The computer is kinda slow after installing the new power supply though... same make, some model, etc, only diff is it's a newer version of the same model, so it has a power switch, but that's all. Strange.

#12 Tim, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  13. Corny

Corny Guest

it's a rare thing but yeah .. it can happen. tape that USB port so that nobody ever plugs something into it. do not let the computer run unattended.

this was a computer with a defect USB port - we still kept it running as a game server for a little over 40 hours when a half-meter high blue sparking flame bursted out of it ...

[​IMG]

14. adam88

Ouch!!! :eusa_clap That must have been a shock. (pun... intended?)

15. Corny

Corny Guest

the bigger shock was a guy trying to be helpful came running with a bottle of water .. despite 5-6 guys screaming "noooooooo" ... thank god someone was able to stop him before he could pour it anywhere :wink:

16. Tim

Tim

Wow.

Yea, I'll tape over em when I have some electrical tape.

Anyway, any idea why a new power supply would be causing slight computer lag? (Not unbearable, but it's very annoying having the computer freeze for ~5 seconds every few minutes if trying to open up another website, etc).

17. Tim

Tim

Ah, joy, it's still entering power save mode randomly...

Only this time, it's happening after HOURS... like, after 9 hours of computer use, after doing nothing, it reset. Second time, after about 3 hours of computer use, happened randomly.

I'm assuming it MAY have to do with where the printer is plugged in (another USB port), so I unplugged the printer, and we'll see.

18. fallendream

its a long shot but im thinking that perhaps the power supply is being put under strain by too many things on the harddrive (hard-drive trying to spin too fast) also; what operating system are you running? if your running a new OS with 512mb RAM it could be causing some effect.
    also - check all your users antiviruses - i had a laptop keep shutting down due to some user (dumb sister :angry:) having about a dozen anti-viruses installed.

19. Tim

Tim

I did a full reformat, and the issues were still there, :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Atm, only have AVG, haven't had time to install Ad-Aware.