1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherlock Holmes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Holmes, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Holmes

What did you think of Downey Jr and Law in Sherlock Holmes? I thought it was great fun. I've read the stories a few times over, and I have also thought Holmes could be gay, as I'm saying it here. This film did allow that interpretation, for me anyway.

2. Greggers

As a website review i read said, "It was the gayest thing in the movie theater of 2009" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It was Guy Richie or whatever his name is, and his films tend to be very gay friendly. I definitely was feeling the vibe between the two. Rachel McAdams felt more like a beard or a fag hag than a love interest IMO.

3. partietraumatic

yeah Ritchie played up the gay nature of their relationship,as alot of his movies tend to.

I thought Downey Jr was brilliant (when is he ever not?) and Law was better than i've ever seen him i think. THey had great chemistry and worked really well off each other.

4. JoeG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ive only seen the trailiers, but the characters, do seem to bicker and flirt a lot, any one else notice?

5. Holmes

I wouldn't call Rachel McAdams a fag hag in it. I think she liked him, and wanted him, but he showed no sexual reaction to her. He didn't rebuff her, just let her kiss him, so maybe she was a beard :icon_wink

I just realized now that I chose my username for Sherlock Holmes, as a potentially gay character I liked. :icon_bigg

6. RaeofLite

I want to see it too... And Rachel is always beautiful and talented in whatever she's in.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kinda hard for me to say. I don't know if I was "in the mood" for it on Christmas Day, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason :S

8. RaeofLite

I just saw it the other day and was quite happy. It did seem pretty gay friendly and Holmes (Robert Downey Jr) seemed jealous of Watson (Jude Law) and his fiancee the entire movie. :lol:

And Rachel McAdams kicked some butt being Ms Adler of course. :wink:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the first sentence of Roger Ebert's review.

The less I thought about Sherlock Holmes, the more I liked Sherlock Holmes.

On a positive note, it appears we finally have an intelligent, thoughtful Watson. Far too many movies, TV shows, radio shows, and plays wrote Watson as a bumbling idiot. Presumably to give Holmes somebody to explain things to, and to make Holmes look more intelligent by comparison.

On the negative side, having read all the stories, I really don't think Holmes is gay. I always pictured him as Vulcanesque. Someone who conquered whatever his emotions were - be they anger, anguish, or even sexual attraction. He seemed quite proud of not giving in to his "baser instincts". This doesn't preclude him from BEING gay, of course. But my thought is whether he was gay or straight, he had "risen above" those emotions. Which is why people looked at him both in admiration and as some sort of freak. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Holmes

But outside of science fiction, even a fictional character shouldn't really be so far above human feelings. I don't really want to get into a was he/wasn't he debate, because it's fiction and we all take from it what seems to make sense for us. But it wouldn't be inconceivable that a gay man in Victorian London might deliberately cast himself as above all that, just as an excuse.

11. AgentS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought it was a great movie! Exciting from the first scene on! I thought both Roberty Downey and Jude Law did a great job. And I loved Hans (sp?) Zimmerman's music. I thought it fit the movie perfectly.