1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monty Python's Mouse Problem

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by pirateninja, Jan 4, 2010.

1. pirateninja

I actually had forgotten about this sketch until I was watching the complete Monty Python Boxset I got for Christmas. It's called "The Mouse Problem" and was released only a few months after the Stonewall riots, satirizing public opinion of the homosexual lifestyle. As well as being an excellent piece of social commentary, it's also completely jaw-achingly funny. :grin: Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts[/YOUTUBE]

PS, for Non-Python fans (HEATHENS!) it is also interesting to note that Graham Chapman, who plays Kargol as well as other roles in this sketch was gay himself. :slight_smile:

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ha ha this is great!

3. Connor22

the world is so much brighter with this show around. If you like this check out the fish slapping dance on youtube. WOW I sound like an advert!

4. GhostDog

Monty Python <3

I loved this bit. I had no idea it was released shortly after Stonewall, though! I mean, I'd picked up on the allegory years ago, a few weeks after I saw it (in a "... Waaaait a minute" kind of way, way to be slow on the uptake, self!). But it makes a lot of sense with that timing!

Graham Chapman, though. =( It makes me so sad that he died so early.

5. Possibly Maybe

Monty Python!! Aww!!

I'm a huuuuuuge Python fan, yes, I'm one of those geeky ones that know entire sketches by heart, drops catch phrases here and there, and adopts phrases in my own vocabulary.

There are a lot of sketches like this one, you can always see where they are coming from. Graham Chapman was indeed gay (RIP), and that gave them legitimicy to make fun of it, or to defend anything different. They always said that they only made fun of things they knew, for instance, they would largely made fun of accountants, insurance salesmen, which was (if memory dosn't fail me) John Cleese's father's profession. Also the deciption of police man who someone that just comes to say "what's all this then?" is a reference to Chapman's own father who was a police constable.

When I started to watch Python many years ago, i was told that one of them was gay, but I didn't know who. My bet was always Terry Jones, because he was always an awesome 'Pepperpot'. I always thought Chpaman was so gentleman like, but i guess he played the 'straight' guy very well, while in private he was quite different.

Lemon curry?