1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Internet.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RaeofLite, Jan 15, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

I run a laptop using Windows Vista.

I recently had a friend ask to borrow it for a second to check email. She got upset because I was using Internet Explorer when she's used to using her Macbook net program. Her boyfriend said I should get Google Chrome, while another friend said I should use Moxilla Firefox...

So IE, Google Chrome, and Firefox... which is best in your opinion and what are different options in each of them?

I've never used anything but IE... ><

2. Zumbro

The nerd at the engineering school (me) advises Google Chrome. It's pretty simple to use, like most google products. If you want all the special applications and specialize it go for firefox, but I personally find those just clutter my internet experience, and takes too much work (and I waste way too much time on the internet to slow the process down :grin:).

Either way, I consider both to be better than IE.

3. Jeebus, your friend needs to get over herself. It's like someone asking you to pick them up at the last minute, then bitching and moaning because your car isn't eco-friendly. I would've snatched my laptop back. :lol:

I'm the same as you. Laptop with Windows Vista, and I use Internet Explorer. I like it for the most part. My only problem is that on certain message boards, the page automatically loads to the newest post first, even if I haven't read the other ones, and even if I have it checked in my user settings not to do that.

4. Nodnarb

I had always used IE, but I switched over to Firefox after I got my laptop. Just last week I decided to try out Chrome. I haven't had any issues and I like it a lot so far.

5. Corny

Corny Guest

Chrome is fast and nice - but if you're concerned about your privacy you shouldn't get the official version since (without going into all the details) google can be pretty snoopy. There are some modified chrome versions where this behavior is patched out though.
    Firefox still uses a bit much memory but it is a fast, reliable and secure browser. But in terms of security it helps a lot just to move away from the IE - no matter what other browser you chose. There is also opera out there for example :slight_smile:

6. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

I use Safari and Firefox! I, like many other mac users, still use OSX 10.4 and google majorly failed and didn't release a version for our operating system and instead only released a mac version for 10.5+! I'm royally pissed to say the least!

7. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Chrome if a page crashes it doesn't take out the whole program. And it's not cluttered all like Firefox. Also IE creates pages terribly as I uses it's own standards so FF, chrome and Safari are the way to go for a good browsing experience. :slight_smile:

8. adam88

I like Firefox's tab management and adblock is pretty much required so that would be my choice.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been using Firefox since before it was Firefox... so I advise Firefox. On a Mac, Safari is also decent, but with Firefox you can actually use AdBlock, which is the best thing EVAAAAR! You can also use other extensions for it, one of which I use to hide the ridiculously huge and annoying header on EVERY. SINGLE. EC page. It would be my first choice just on that basis alone. :slight_smile:

To be fair, you can also get AdBlock for Google Chrome Beta now (on Windows at least), but I'm tired of how Google wants you to do EVERYTHING using its products--in that respect, it's not at all different from Microsoft. Plus Firefox is open source! And good open source... as in actively developed with lots of usage worldwide.

10. Bevo

I use firefox, because it is faster, more efficient, and easier to use. I used to use Internet Explorer, but I found that there were too many flaws in the system and I found that it was more susceptible to malware ('Malicious Software'). I used google chrome for a short while but I found it too simplistic and I wasn't able to optimise my browser as much as I could on firefox.

So Mozilla Firefox is probably the best option...

11. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Firefox. I definitely agree that it's much more efficient. As mentioned above, you can block ads and images easily if need be. I also love the DownloadHelper tool. I hate IE.

12. littledinosaurs

I used to use IE, and it wasn't really secure so I tried out some of the others.
    I really liked Safari, but because I have windows it didn't work as well so then I moved over to Firefox, which I love. I never really tried Chrome, but i've used it on other computers and it seems fine.

13. kettleoffish

Internet Explorer is utter shit.

Get Chrome if you want something fast, simple, secure and reliable. Get Firefox if you want something customisable and well featured.

Also remember that Adblock Plus is only properly available for Firefox (the Safari/Chrome ecquivalents are nowhere near as good).

edit: also, as someone who occasionally writes websites, I can also say that IE is an absolute bitch to code for, because it ignores so many standards in web design and makes writing websites so much more complicated.

#13 kettleoffish, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mozilla's better for preventing pop-ups and such.

Never bothered with Google Chrome, I hear about a lot of malfunctions.

15. RaeofLite

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try Firefox and if I don't like it I'll switch it up. :slight_smile:

16. mattypants

^^that

Fox for more customization [and add blocker <3]
    and chrome for more simplicity

either is better than IE

17. Holmes

I use Chrome at home and Firefox in college, just because of the way the network in the respective places works better with them.

When I set up the internet on my grandmother's computer, I put IE and Firefox there on her desktop. Having no preconceptions, she's ended up using the one with the fox, as she put it.

18. Techcompu2

I currently have IE, Firefox and Safari. I use safari the most and like it the best personally. I tried chrome, but did not like it at all. whatever though

19. Otsuke

FIREFOX all the way!

It's faster, and I really like the way it's built. I mean, you can administrate your favorites nicely and you can personalize it like you want. Personally, I don't really use add-ons on Firefox because I don't really need them, but I downloaded, for example, the English dictionary! :slight_smile:

I used Internet Explorer for a long time and as soon as I downloaded Firefox, I noticed the difference. It's .... freaking faster :slight_smile: <3<3

20. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Just to add I have also installed the IE plug in for Chrome for those times you really need to use it.