1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender and Music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GhostDog, Jan 29, 2010.

1. GhostDog

Question! Do y'all find that, consciously or unconsciously, the music you listen to has more male or female vocalists?

I ask, because I was showing my friend a video from a new band I love (and also commenting on the singer's legs, ehehe, they are quite nice), and her comment was this, "Kirah, you are such a lesbian. Why don't you try liking some male singers for once?"

She was joking, but it totally hadn't occurred to me how few male singers I do listen to. There are maybe seven bands with primarily male vocalists I listen to, and three or four more that have mixed male and female vocals. The vast majority of singers I listen to are female!

It's not some conscious thing I do, I think I just tend to prefer female voices or something. I was wondering if anyone else kinda did the same thing! Do y'all listen to more women or men, or is it pretty evenly mixed?

2. Shevanel

I'm pretty sure mine is pretty evenly mixed. Although my Top 5 consists of all male vocalists, but throughout the spectrum of all the music I love, it's pretty even.

3. I never even thought about it. But i guess now that you mention it, my iPod is mostly filled with woman singers. But i think it all boils down to the music itself and not the singers. They are just the added bonus. As long as the melodies are there, i don't mind who sings it.

4. I prefer female singers since I've yet to hear any AMAZINGLY talented male singers.
    Favorite female singer is Kelly Clarkson and of the opposite sex would be Stephen Christian (Anberlin).

Though it's not only the singing that attracts me it's the music, lyrics, etc.

5. adam88

Quite a bit of the metal I listen to (and music in general) have female vocalists. This is especially unusual in the metal department. I don't know, I just like the female voice, I guess.

6. MusicIsLife

I'm kind of all over the place. I listen to bands that tend to have male vocalists, but its more of a preference and I find a lot of music with female singers tends to be cheesey, with a fair few exceptions.

7. RaeofLite

My playlist is mixed... but I think I honestly have more male singers/bands. I don't think that has anything to do with my sexuality (although some lyrics are nice when you know the singer/band is LGBT or something along those lines.)

8. partietraumatic

mine is dominated my male singers. There are a few female singers i love, eg la roux, but certainly not even half the number of male singers i love.

9. thevre

My current top five is currently dominantly female (due to the fact that I reset the library the same week the Fame Monster came out.)

BUT unless it's that pop/dance stuff, it's usually male.

10. xCrazyInsanity

My iPod is mostly female artists.. my youtube account is about 50/50

11. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I listen to a ton of male singers. I don't think it's really a conscious choice, though. I hear music I like and I listen to it. I just happen to like a lot of male ones.

12. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I listen to more male vocalists because my favorite genre of music (post-hardcore/screamo) has more male vocalists, simple as that.

13. SaturdaySaviour

My playlist has much more male vocalists, but it really doesn't make any difference to me.

My all time fav singers are Geoff Tate and Maynard James Keenan. :grin:

14. Apocalypte

Same here, it just so happens that the vast majority of my favourite bands have male vocalists.

15. Ben

Ben

I generally prefer female vocalists, especially in jazz/blues and opera.

16. Eccentric

My favorite music is dominated by female vocalists.

17. Connor22

My favourites are all male singer/leads I just don't really like the type of music that most female singers sing, that said, Paramore and evanescence are female leads and very very good.

18. Taurusguy92

Well considering I'm mostly into dance/techno/happy hardcore... it's either regular female voices (Cascada) or very high pitched ones (Nightcore). Unless I decide to listen to my rock in which case male dominated

19. Eleanor Rigby

Thinking of it, I listen male singers mostly.

20. Chandra

Interesting. Come to think of it, since I started acknowledging that I'm attracted to women, more and more of the bands I listen to have female vocalists. And for that matter, I keep discovering that a lot of bands I like have gay members (both male and female).