1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kurt Cobain stuff that might surprise you

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sylver, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Sylver

I'm a big fan of Nirvana. Here's a few things that not too many people realize about Kurt Cobain. Much of this comes from the candid interview he did with the gay magazine The Advocate in 1992. Here's the entire article;

http://kevinallman.typepad.com/ARTICLES/MAGAZINES/Advo-Cobain.pdf

1. He self-identified as a homosexual throughout most of his teen years. His best friend was openly gay.

2. He admitted in the interview that he was probably bisexual.

3. He was a vocal supporter of gay rights. He even went so far as to have the following printed on the album liner of Incesticide;

The following article written by a Canadian GLBT Suicide Support Center proposes the interesting hypothesis that Kurt Cobain was gay, and that he committed suicide because he could no longer live the lie while at the same time having a wife and a daughter (who he loved very much). Here's the link;

http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexual/news/kurt-cobain-god-gay.htm

It's a long article, but it's very moving and something that I think many of us may relate to.

Finally, I've always wondered what he meant in the line of All Apologies "What else could I say, everyone is gay".

Any other Nirvana fans out there?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I read this before when I was younger and researching bisexuality. But it was surprising at the time.

3. Shevanel

I don't know if he was gay or not, I always felt like he was bisexual from what we know about him, but like I said, I didn't know him in person obviously, so I wouldn't know. And I'm pretty sure he didn't commit suicide for that reason. Oh well, not like I'd know. I just think its a bit of an exploitation too, but whatever, if it helps people not commit suicide, they could say whatever they want.

And this reminded me to continue my drawing of Kurt Cobain. When I finish it, I shall post it on here :slight_smile:

4. Chandra

Wow, I had no idea. I was in high school during Nirvana's peak popularity and never heard a word of this. Thanks for sharing.

5. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I was just listening to Bleach while I entered this thread :slight_smile:

I once read an interview where he said something like "I'm not gay but I wish I were just to piss off homophobes".

6. I read that article. I find it interesting as hell. Nirvana is my favourite band of all time. I do believe that he was bisexual, probably leaning a bit more towards the gay side. I feel such a strong connection to him. Listening to his voice makes me cry, but it also makes me happy. He was such an amazing person, I'm sure. I would give anything to have met him. I'll never be fully satisfied knowing he left this world so young and tragically. And yes, I believe he was murdered. He seemed like he loved Frances too much to end his own life, no matter how strong the urge.

RIP Kurt Cobain

7. DexterMorgan

I thought the use of 'gay' in the song meant happy. :/

8. Sylver

I find it quite amusing that PearlJam is making a comment on Nirvana (not sure how many people will get that...)

I'm pretty sure he meant it in the sense that we mean it. I just don't understand what his commentary was. But then again many of his lyrics were cryptic or poetically abstract, so I may be looking for a deeper meaning that's just not there...

9. adam88

I never bothered trying to figure out any secret meaning... but it sounds pretty telling.

As an aside, I now have All Apologies stuck in my head. Thanks. :grin:

10. Shevanel

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I get that xD Everyone SHOULD get that because its like some of the best bands from the 90s (saw Pearl Jam 2 summers ago <3333333333 fucking amazinggggg). Alice in Chains is the other best grunge band :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I wish I could've seen Nirvana v_v

11. Sylver

Yeah, but there's even MORE to it. Yes, both Nirvana and Pearl Jam were the founders of the grunge movement, and they were both from the Seattle area. But they didn't get along. Kurt Cobain once called Pearl Jam "sellouts" for taking grunge commercial, whereas he always thought it should stay as an underground form of music if it was going to be true to its roots. It's ironic that today we consider Nirvana "mainstream" music, a term he really despised!

Sorry, Nirvana geek here... :icon_redf

12. Shevanel

Oh well yeah, but Cobain sometimes could be a bit too ... pompous in his own way xD I still love them both :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Zac4

kurt who?

14. Sylver

He's the bass player for Lady Gaga.

15. adam88

No, no. He's the drummer for the Foo Fighters.

16. DexterMorgan

Lmfao.
    All of you are wrong. He's the director of Ke$ha's music videos!

17. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Love Kurt Cobain and Nirvana <333 and I already knew about these comments cause I got a leaflet with alot of Kurt Cobain info when I bought my Nirvana converse

18. Shevanel

[​IMG]

19. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    NO MINE JOEY Carrie no sharey!