1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite/ least favourite Directors

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by partietraumatic, Feb 3, 2010.

1. partietraumatic

So i was wondering if anybody has favourite and least favourite film directors.

By that i don't mean someone who has directed one film which you love/hate, but rather someone who has directed a number of films which you love/ hate.

Ill throw my two names out there.

My favourite is probably Christopher Nolan. I think he is a genius. Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Night... they would all be in my top 10 films ive seen. He really understands how to direct a film, and the basics of how to make a good film. For anyone who hasn't seen it, i would say Memento is must watch. Its hard to understand at first, but it really blew my mind. And it has an unbelievable plot twist, that i genuinely did not see coming.

I think a measure of his films being so brilliant, for me, is that every one of them i've seen, i've ended up sitting around discussing the film with friends for a long time after. For me that is one of the keys to a good film, it must leave you thinking about it after you've finished it.

On the other hand i really dislike Michael Bay. Basically coz in my eyes he just doesn't seem to understand the basics of making a film. He just fills his films with expensive set piece and CGI explosions, which seem to overrule any attention being paid to dialogue, character development or an interesting storyline.

Obviously there are others i could name, but i thought id keep it short, so... who are your favourite and least favourite film directors?

2. okay:

my favorite is cliched, but what can i say, i love the big chinned genius Quentin Tarantino. Pulp Fiction has been my favorite movie since sixth grade and i love everything else he has done.

i also am a fan of Lars Von Trier, purely because he doesn't give a shit what people think of him. And Dancer in The Dark made me cry like no other movie Ive ever watched.

Ridley Scott kicks major ass as well!

And I hate basically any director who uses more green screen than is really necessary in a single movie.

----------

I forgot to mention that Mark Romanek is the most amazing music video director ever! All of his videos are amazing. Even if the songs suck

3. Shevanel

Robert Rodriguez
    Quentin Tarantino
    Martin Scorsese
    Stanley Kubrick
    Danny Boyle
    Kevin Smith
    Coen Brothers
    David Fincher
    Steven Spielberg
    Terry Gilliam
    EDIT:
    Adding Alfred Hitchcock and George Romero, duh. xD

And John Carpenter. For The Thing. And Many more obviously (YES EVEN GHOSTS OF MARS, THERES NO REASON TO SHOOT ME xD)

All Fucking amazing. Beyond fucking amazing.

I REALLY REALLY dislike Michael Bay, but he has made a couple of films I actually like The Rock and Bad Boys.

Uwe Boll is definitely one of the worst filmmakers if not THE worst filmmaker ever.

Yeah, there are pretty some horrible directors out there, but I tend to not watch their films :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Favorite directors: Alfred Hitchcock, Wes Craven, George Romero, James Whale

I don't have a least favorite, although I tend to dislike most films by Joel Schumacher, Roland Emmerich, and Jan de Bont. Oh, and do I even need to mention Uwe Boll?

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my favourite directors is Steven Spielberg who directed two of my favourite films, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan both of which portrayed World War Two events accurately.

Other favourite directors include Alfred Hitchcock (The Man Who Knew Too Much and North by Northwest). His work is just brilliant. Also, Billy Wilder's work is quite good. For me, among his best films are Some Like It Hot and The Apartment.

I don't really have a least favourite director.

6. Shevanel

I really really really really really really hate to be a ball breaker here, Mirko, because I really do love Saving Private Ryan and Spielberg, but that film wasn't exactly too accurate. Just sayin. Band Of Brothers was very accurate though ^_^

7. Pam Grier is in it, hold your fire! (even if it isn't Foxy Brown)

8. Shevanel

Ghosts of Mars is seriously underrated xD

But Carpenter has made so many other great films its kinda ridiculous.

9. At least Inglourious Basterds was accurate. :icon_bigg

Don't kill me. You know I <3 you.

10. Shevanel

HEY IT WAS! Hitler and all his cohorts died in 1944 in a Film Theater in France thus ending the war immediately. It's in the history books, dude. xD

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries! (*hug*)
    Actually you are right, Band of Brothers was more accurate in terms of historical content but Saving Private Ryan was accurate in the sense of the portrayal of the landing on the beaches of Normandy, general war combat and the conditions in which soldiers found themselves in. :slight_smile:

Funny enough, I did a presentation on SPR's accuracy when it comes to its portrayal of WWII, as part of a history seminar on WWII and came almost to the same conclusion.

12. Shevanel

Oh definitely, I was more talking about the actual historical context, but you are correct in that way, yes. Especially that damned Intro, freakin amazing.

13. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Directors me likey;
    Tim Burton and Richard Donner tie for top place
    Bryan Singer
    Chris Columbus
    Quentin Tarantino
    Deepa Mehta

Directors me no likey;
    BRETT RATNER BRETT RATNER BRETT RATNER BRETT MUTHAFUCKING RATNER
    Joseph Khan

14. Sylver

My favorite directors are;

Peter Jackson - Lord Of The Rings, need I say more?
    Tim Burton - This man has the most contorted mind... and I love it!!
    Edgar Wright - No one understands comedy better than him (Hot Fuzz, Sean Of The Dead)
    Brad Bird - I can't say enough about his animation talents (Ratatouille, The Incredibles)
    Guillermo Del Toro - Brilliant (as per Pan's Labyrinth)

Worst directors? The list is almost too long. In terms of some of the more popular ones, Michael Bay is overrated, and (I am going to be SHOT for saying this, but...) I don't like Quentin Tarantino's style.

15. NeonCookies

TIM BURTON!!!! he is the bestest ever can not wait for alice in wonderland :grin: s

16. Possibly Maybe

Among my favourites you can count on:
    * Pedro Almodóvar
    the Spanish film director. I've seen almost every movie he has made. I like the way he tells stories and the characters he presents us. Some say Almodóvar plays very well with the women (las mujeres de Almodóvar) because he has worked with some actresses several times- case of Penépole Cruz and Carmen Maura. I think «La Ley del Deseo» is a film ahead of its time, so was «Átame". My favourites would probably be «Tacones Lejanos» and «Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios» with a female lead by Carmen Maura that is just divine.
    He has master pieces like «Hable con Ella» or «Todo sobre mi madre».

*Tim Burton
    I'm amazed how many movies I've seen by Mr.Burton. I was just counting ther other day and it goes up to 12. I enjoy his vision of the macabre, the weird, the out of the ordinary. I love his universe and the stories he tells. Highlights here go to «Ed Wood» (who can resist Mr.Deep in cashmere?), «Edward Scissorhands», «Big Fish», «Sleepy Hollow».

*Fritz Lang
    the austrian born director that worked mostly in Germany and then Hollywood. I like Herr Lang's efforts until he sold himself to Hollywood. The man was a genius. During the Weimar Republic he did several master pieces. The most well known is «Metropolis», the very first sci-fi movie . We come to see the future in which man has began to depend almost solely on machines, and has forgotten the fellow human being. Society is now divided into those who are rich and powerful and live on the surface of Metropolis, and the poor, slave-like working force that lives and works in the underground of the big city making the machines go. The movie shows how far man has gone and how far apart human kind as become. The message is that both sides of the city- the workers and the powerful should work together side by side and not in opposite fields. The movie shows the reconciliation between these opposite forces.
    The movie's sceneries are just out of this world, especially if you consider that the movie was made in 1927! The avant-guard vision of Lang and his wife(?) Thea von Harbour (who wrote the script) is a landmark in film history.
    Lang also went on to make more phenomenal movies like «M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder» i which you can see Berlin in the 1930's facing a murder of a child. Peter Lorre (the actor who plays the murderer) has the interpretation of a lifetime! He makes the assassin so likeable and insane you feel pity for him, despite the fact that you know he has been murdering children.
    I have to mention also «Frau im Mond» and «Dr. Mabuse» both excelent as well and done in the 1920's.

*Terry Gilliam
    Basically because he's a Python. Now seriously, i love the madness in his movies. He has his own vision and doesn't compromise to anyone's else. The man has master pieces that go from the introductory short film in the beginning of «The Meaning of Life» to «Brazil» (truly genius!), «Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas» among others.

*François Truffaut
    French director that gave us pearls like «Jules et Jim» (to me one of his best), «Fahrenheit 451».

*Lars von Trier
    I have a love/hate relationship with this man. I hate his movies but yet I watch them and then come even to like them. The first movie I saw was «Idioterne» which shocked me, made think von Trier was mentally changeled or simply annoying/stupid. I hated the movie, but I could not stop talking about it. The idea behind the group of people that pretend to be idiots and their somewhat naïve vision of the world ends up under your skin.
    Then he came out with «Dancer In the Dark». Some might have noticed that i'm a Björk fan. I went to see the movie because of her. I hated the movie. I thought it went to extremes of tear-jerking techniques to make you feel bad for Selma (Character played by Björk). I thought the movie was vulgar and unimaginative, the story didn't hold together. He got the good and the bad to reach extremes of clichés! The movie has so many common places it almost makes you throw up. On the other hand, Björk is amazing. The soundtrack is beautiful.
    «Dogville» is so vitriolic it burns your eyes. I still defend that it should never had been a movie, but a theatre play.

17. I would like to thank everyone else for reminding me how much i dislike him:

Tim Burton

Alright, i'm totally gonna get ripped a new one for this. Tim Burton Has lost almost all credibility for me. He did make one of my all time favorite movies, Ed Wood (which seems to be the only Tim Burton movie big fans of his have never seen XD) , but he has lost it. Im not excited about Alice in Wonderland and haven't been excited about anything he has done since Big Fish. Sure he does these more mature style "fairy tales" and fantasies, but so does Guillermo Del Toro. And Mr.Del Toro does it about 100x better. Tim Burton is just put up on a pedestal that frankly, i don't the he deserves to be put on. But if you like him, i can see why.

Don't take my word for it though, because i seem to be the only person who really enjoys Dancer in the Dark XD

18. Sylver

I don't get too passionate about movies in general, so I'm not going to defend Tim Burton. I think his best work was Nightmare Before Christmas - it is deliciously macabre, yet touching at the same time, and it takes me to a universe that I couldn't ever have imagined. I think he has slipped with many of his more recent movies, with one exception - Sweeny Todd, which I think was masterful and once again delighfully macabre.

On the other hand, Guillermo Del Toro is a genius, but his movies are almost too real? Figure this - Pan's Labyrinth is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I have only watched it once. Why? Because it was so totally disturbing to me, way too close to reality. It was almost like watching an autopsy, and about as graphic. I'm a tad squeamish, so...

19. I get where you coming from. And while Tim Burtons movie are somewhat macabre, i think certain people have skewed my view on it, which is sad. Like every time i see Nightmare Before Christmas, i think about how commercial it has become what with all the Hot Topic merchandise, and i just :bang: but with all honesty, thats more my own fault than Tims i guess.

And i have heard a couple people say that Pans Labyrinth was disturbing to them, maybe im a cold hearted bastard, but i don't see it XD Its without a doubt sad, and somewhat depressing, but i was in aw of it and never grossed out. Even at the cheek-cutting part.

20. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I declare myself a David Lynch fan. He's brilliant, totally a mind rapist. 'Eraserhead', 'The Elephant Man' and 'Mulholland Drive' (watching Naomi Watts making out with the hot brunette made me question my sexuality haha) are my favourite.

I love Lars von Trier too! 'Dancer in the Dark', 'Dogville' and 'Epidemic' are awesome. I have yet to watch 'Antichrist', which I've heard is quite disturbing.

Anyone know Takashi Miike? He's a Japanese guy who makes eerie movies. The most popular one's called 'Audition' though I liked much better two of his short films: 'Box' and 'Imprint'.