1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

comic books!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GL247, Aug 23, 2007.

1. GL247

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    anybody here read comic books?

if so, what's in your pull box?

2. GuitarGirl1350

I love vintage comics.

I'm always looking for a first-edition TMNT comic. There's only 3000 in existence. And by "first edition" I mean the ones Kevin and Peter self-published before they got their money and founded Mirage studios.
    I like to read the old batman comics alot <3 and as I said before, TMNT.
    My desktop on Linux is a comic of the TMNT. ^_^

3. GL247

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh, neat!

i've got boxes of 80's dc comics. mostly batman and detective comics and some other stuff.

right now i've got all the green lantern books, batman, detective comics, amazing spider-man, justice league of america, justice society of america, moon knight, astonishing x-men and the blue beetle to name a few. there are some other one shots and trades that i get along the way. i tend to wait and pick them all up at the first of the month. :icon_wink

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Justice Society of America (excellent), JLA (it's okay), Wonder Woman (waiting for Simone), Birds of Prey, Exiles, New X-Men (for the Magik storyline), Astonishing X-Men (which is amazing), Y: The Last Man (about to wrap-up :frowning2: ), Ex Machina (I collect the trades), Runaways, I recently dropped Countdown because it's trash, I read ASM in the shop, oh Amazons Attack (*sigh* not so great), Checkmate, Fallen Angel, Avengers: The Initiative, New Avengers, The Mighty Avengers, Buffy (two words: uh DUH!), Trials of Shazam, Teen Titans, and most especially X-Factor.

5. davo-man

I would really like to get into comics, but i dunno where to get them, the local newsagetn stock like one a month and thats it....I would really love to get into the X-Men comics, cos i love X-Men (and not just cos of the movies)

Also, has anyone read The Killing Joke, cos i REALLY wanna read it for semi-obvious reasons (it details a possible origin of the Joker), so if anyone has read it...is it worth getting?

And i would love to get into Batman comics...Where do you guys/girls get them?

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've NEVER read The Killing Joke?

Dude!

It's pretty good... the take on the Joker/Batman relationship is considered controversial but the whole story is quite something.

You'd probably need to find a comic specialty shop in your town or the nearest big(ish, I realise you live in Australia :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) city to get a good selection of stuff. Or maybe one of the stores in Sydney provides mail-order service to the rest of the country?

7. GL247

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    davo? oh my god... yes! the killing joke is one of the best batman/joker stories ever done! brilliant story and brilliant art work. i highly recommend it.

i forgot to mention that i also have wonder woman and amazons attack.

i'm with joey, do a search for mail order programs with the comic shops in your area. hopefully you will find something that can fit your needs. good luck there! :wink:

side bar: has anyone seen the new doctor strange dvd that marvel put out? i have to tell you, i totally loved it! great stuff there...

8. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've started picking up comics too, primarily X-Men, though I do read other Marvel stuff. I'm not as interested in DC unless it's Vertigo, haha.

Anyway, I'm currently reading X-Men and Astonishing X-Men. I'd love to pick up the other X-titles (Factor, New X-Men), but I just don't have the money.

I recently finished Young Avengers (which includes an adorable gay relationship!), the first TPB of Y: The Last Man, and now I'm really interested in Vaughan's other work (especially Runaways).

Seriously though, so many comics, so little time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh totally drop X-Men and get X-Factor. X-Men is DRECK! X-Factor is sublime!

Runaways is amazing--I can't recommend it enough!

10. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Aww, not a fan of Adjectiveless? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm sticking with X-Men in the hopes that Carey will somehow snatch Northstar out of the depths of limbo and get him on the team. They already de-crazied him, he's ripe for the picking!

Carey won me over from the beginning of his run when he brought the twins back from wherever--and let them kick major ass! But I agree, after that, Adjectiveless has become "dreck", as you say. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I love yaoi, but I don't own any :wink:

12. Level N Human

I pirate batman comics, Sin City, and am currently reading Watchmen. (Movie out 2008! I believe..)

13. GL247

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He wouldn't be right for it. I mean I like him but he just doesn't have the right look.

15. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've seen the thing about LaBeouf before, and I agree with joeyconnick. From the characterization of Yorrick in the first TPB, he just doesn't seem right for the role.

16. Rette

Hmm, who do you think could play Yorick, though? I couldn't imagine it would be tough to find someone with the right look, but what about the right attitude?

Also, I just got The Watchmen for my birthday. It's an amazing piece of literature.

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yorick, Yorick, Yorick... you know, I don't know. But not Shia LaBoeuf.

Not quite the look but probably the range: Joey Gordon-Levitt. Jason Dohring from Veronica Mars maybe... if he could stop being so smug and smirky.

Vincent Kartheiser from Angel.

Chris Marquette from Joan of Arcadia.

Anton Yelchin from Alpha Dog.

Maybe even Christopher Gorham (from Popular). Although he's nearly too pretty and MIGHT be too old. Although he's always looked ridiculously young for his age.

18. davo-man

AAAAARGH i just read The Killing Joke and i LOVED it....seeing as it was the first comic book i read front to back all the way through, i didnt really have much to compare it to, but thankyou for reccommending it to me....

I think im gunna get a hard copy of it for my birthday (seeing as i just read it on line), so i hope i do