1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pride (a play in NY)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RainbowJay, Feb 9, 2010.

1. RainbowJay

I'm actually not sure if the play's only in NY, but I've seen it once so far and it's very witty, overpowering and stunningly performed! :thumbsup:

it's rated 16+, but I think that certain parts may not be for even the most faint-hearted of adults (considering the fact that after a particular emotional scene, people left the theatre during the intermission and never returned)

The cast consists of "four of Britain's most acclaimed young actors: Hugh Dancy (Adam, Journey's End), Adam James (Last Chance Harvey), Andrea Riseborough (Happy-Go-Lucky) and Ben Whishaw (Bright Star, Brideshead Revisited)."

The basic plot outline: "Oliver, Philip, and Sylvia are caught in a kind of erotic time warp. Their complex love triangle, replete with conflicting loyalties and passions, jumps from 1958 to the present and back in a maelstrom of fantasy, repression and rebellion in this innovative new drama."

Or in other words, there are two times (1958 and 2008). In the play, they jump back and forth between those times. In 1958, Philip and Sylvia are married and Oliver is an awkward friend that Philip didn't expect to show up. In 2008, Philip is Oliver's ex, Sylvia is Oliver's wacky and amusing friend, and Oliver is addicted to sex with strangers.

I tried not to really spoil anything in case anybody's anticipating this play.

It was so good, I'm gonna see it again next wednesday. Anybody else heard of it or seen it?
    If you've heard of it, I really recommend it! :slight_smile: Tickets can be bought here: http://www.mcctheater.org/shows/09-10_season/pride/index.html

2. RaeofLite

Aw, it sounds trippy and interesting. I wish they had that here. :frowning2:

3. RainbowJay

^I was hoping they'd make it into a DVD at least and mass-release it
    it wouldn't really do the play justice if many others didn't get to see it :frowning2:

although the actual play experience is much more extravegant than watching it on your TV, it should still be viewed by many people (including the target LGBT audience :newcolor:slight_smile:

otherwise everybody's missing out ._.