1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know anything about web design (CMS)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CrimsonThunder, Aug 26, 2007.

1. CrimsonThunder

Heya all. Anyone know a good CMS (content management system)? I have used Joomla but I really can't find any good templates for it...

2. Micah

I know that http://www.minus18.org was made in Joomla...

The new Empty Closets website is being created in Wordpress (however I don't know what defines a CMS). But check it out anyway.

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have used Wordpress many times in the past. I love it to death!

Joomla is also very advanced, but really you just need to find a program with a wide variety of features and spend a little time getting used to the system.

Most good CMS programs need a database to run so be sure that your host includes databases (MySQL is a very good system) and of course PHP.

Could I possibly know what sort of site you would be using with it? Because if you want I can hook you up with some good web templates which you can integrate a PHP news program with easily (I generally find these more effective and in most cases more professional).

Also some programs (if you don't have much) can be very cruel on webspace. Make sure you have about 150MB to handle everything. I would personally have at least 5GB to handle uploads from members as well.

Well Tom you have my MSN if you need to talk about it more. :grin: The webgeek is at your service!

4. Time

I've used a lot of CMS's, and it really depends on what kind of website you're doing. This website has demos for virtually every single one of them, so you might want to check that out. Some of my favourites:

Joomla
    Mambo
    phpNuke Platinum (no longer available, but I have a copy if you want it)
    e107

It might help if you told us what you're going to be doing with it :slight_smile:

5. 24601

I agree with everything stated above. WordPress seems to be the staple now, but Joomla is really good as well. It'd help to know what you wanted to do with it.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I made my site at http://www.paul-uk.me.uk/ with Website Baker, which seems reasonably simple to get started with (I have done lots of website design with HTML etc but this was my first play with a CMS).

Have a look at http://www.opensourcecms.com/. They have live demos of most of the main open-source CMS systems (and other similar packages such as blogs, eCommerce, galleries, forums etc) with users comments. It's a great way to have a look at the back-end and the results with different packages to find which ones you like and which will do what you are trying to achieve. All demos are reset to default every 2 hours. Note that WordPress is in "blogs" there.

7. CrimsonThunder

Thanks everyone I'm having a look at that website. I'm making one about wrestling. =P

...hawt. :wink:

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Full Spectrum magazine site is created in WordPress too (thanks Dave for the idea!)

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *wink wink* I wanna refragment you up! :wink:

But anyway, I would personally use Wordpress, or I could help you in making a customized HTML layout. o(^_^)o

10. CrimsonThunder

If I used your HTML layout that would mean I couldn't use a CMS yeah?

I cant find any good templates for wordpress and i don't think the fonts and stuff suit the kinda website im making. I found 2 good ones for Joomla though going to install them tomorrow.

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With a full-coded layout I reccomend cutenews (cutephp.com). It's a lightweight news poster which you can split into different pages with different categories posted. I know it says "news" in the name but it is a VERY useful content management tool. And it can be integrated into nearly any site which is a big plus.