1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

english project.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by fallendream, Feb 28, 2010.

1. fallendream

hey folks and folkettes,
    the basic plan is to resubmit my creative writing piece in english to get better grades (im expected a B grade and i got a B minus)
    it only annoys me because getting a minus in something is sooo close it frustrates me (id be fine with a C)
    my original plot was stupid so i want to know what you guys think of this plot (just a rough outline)

in the year 2012 the planet earth had visitors, these visitors offered the earth help - on December the 21st the planet went down on its knees, typhoons, monsoons, hurricanes - the works. the earth had to accept the offer and people went aboard the visitors ships were they were tricked and turned to slaves.
    ten thousand years later the people of earth have thought up a plan.
    after decades, niegh - centuries of hard work, the people of earth perfected their plan and now the time has come, for the day earths people will become the masters of the milky way once more.

all and any critiques welcome :slight_smile:

2. Connor22

seems a bit simple, no offence but I think you could make some changes, how about:

instead of the year 2012, the year 2243 (or something), we had FTL travel down but then these visitors show up and beat us into submission, destroying everything except Earth, which we get to keep, in return for slave labour, after a long time we use their technology and use your central character to rise up against them to regain our independence

just my ideas well done on getting a B- btw

3. Ben

Ben

It doesn't need to be an epic story. My old English teacher said that whenever people wrote short stories, they make them way too cataclysmic and span an unnecessarily large time span. Short stories are more powerful if they focus on one small and significant event.

Yours seems possibly a bit too OTT. Maybe you could zoom in on one small part of the story and write about that. You don't have to explain everything either — you could start late on in the story and leave the rest to the reader's imagination.

4. Bryan90

I share my sentiments with Ben. No doubt, I believe that plot is an integral part to a story, however, for a short story in an English class, it's less of what you write and more of how you write.

So my advice is that the best plot is a plot that you're passionate and enthusiastic about.

5. fallendream

2012 is when the world suppossedly ends, thats kinda neccesary for it to work to my intentions.

would a prologue of sorts work better?

6. Ben

Ben

Well it's totally up to you but I think that sounds like a good idea. =)

7. fallendream

ive done me some thinking (be afraid, folks :grin:)
    im thinking of having it as though someone at the near-end (before the 'battle') recounts the past events upto the point before the fight and then ends with something such as 'and tonight...all will change for us, for them, for humanity!'

would this work well?

8. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your topic is something like douglas adams hitchhikers series. I suggest you kill your protagnist at the end! It always leaves a grave impression on the minds of the readers.
    just make sure your character gets killed by celestial beings of some sort, that if he wouldnt have had himself killed , the universe would have come to an end! you know something like that....