1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legend of Zelda movie?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sylver, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Sylver

So y'all probably know by now that I'm a Legend of Zelda fanatic. :icon_bigg I've wondered why there hasn't been an official movie made yet. There's all kinds of rumors out there but apparently nothing is officially being worked on. Do you think there should be a Zelda movie? Is there maybe one in the works right now but it's just a very well-kept secret?

I think it could be as awesome a movie as Lord of the Rings (my fave) and it could also naturally lead to a series. I demand a Legend of Zelda movie be made now!! :eusa_snoo

2. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I personally am of the opinion that a Legend of Zelda movie could either be really really AMAZING, or really really disappointing. I'd love to see one made though. I think it could be awesome.

3. mydogstewie

Wind Waker...best game ever.....!

Zelda Nerd aside, I wouldn't like to see a Zelda movie...I feel it would ruin Zelda

4. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

There was an unofficial fanmade movie, but last time i checked nintendo shut it down or something.

5. Shevanel

Videogame movies seem to not work out so well very very often.

It's sad really, but there's not much to do. If we want good videogame movie adaptions, we need good directors, with screenplay writers that are faithful to the video game's story, and then perfect actors to play the roles because we already saw them performed on screen in the video game (This is different with a book adaptation as the only visualization of the characters and their behavior are through our own interpretation based upon reading the words the writer gave to us, making it easier for book adaptations to be success at the very least on the acting side.)

Most video game movies tend to be low-budgeted (which DOESN'T determine a movie's quality at all, as there are plenty of examples that show this), they get shitty directors (like Uwe Boll, but luckily some video game rights' owners are smart enough to not give it to that fucker), and they're casted with shitty actors very often. But most of the time, it's the director's fault, especially when there are good actors in the movie, not allowing the actor to actually act, but instead conform to the director's limitations, which are oftentimes idiotic.

6. Hoppip

No. No. No. No.

Media shouldn't trade amongst itself.

No.

7. Adam

Zelda is fun because its about solving puzzles and stuff, I don't see how a movie could work with that.

8. crystaltriforce

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKGehSw5ht8[/YOUTUBE]
    i know this was an April fools prank but it would be awesome if it was real.

9. NickT

No...shudder...good gosh no...movies should not be made into videogames. The same goes vice versa.

10. MusicIsLife

No, no, no, NO!

I loveee zelda, as a video game. I feel that a movie of it would be epic failure.

11. Charme

Charme Guest

agreed.

12. Gaetan

The problem with making video games into movies and vice versa is just the nature of the stories told. Video games, like Zelda, you're one person who interacts with other characters on a mostly superficial level. In movies, you do the opposite, several people interacting on a more intimate level.

While that can be remedied with the bending of stories and characters to fit, the real problem lies in what video games really are: repetition. Go from point A to point B, collect C, defeat boss D. Rinse and repeat until you defeat megaboss Z. Too little of a rise in action, and filled with too many minor "peaks" as you defeat bosses D, H, P, and Q.

...As for a Zelda movie, I would love to see one made. I think with the right script, right director, and right everything, it could be a spectacular movie.

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I really love Zelda. When I was 6, I even learned English specifically to be able to play Link's Awakening (before that all I played was the Game & Watch version, which was basically just killing monsters). And most of my console gaming history was dictated by the question of anything Zelda-related was available...

However, I think it would run into serious problems when turned into a movie. With the right script, right cast and right director, an awesome movie could be made set in the Zelda universe, but I'm not sure if anyone would go watch it.

It would have a hard time convincing the non-enthousiasts, who would be hesitant to go see a movie based on a video game. And it would inevitably have to throw out a lot of dungeon crawling, puzzle-solving and megamonster fighting to tell a good story. Which might draw ire from the videogame fans, who could claim that they threw out a lot of the Zelda experience. Because, no matter how much I like following the story, mostly it is in part an excuse to present some interesting dungeons...
    So, I fear that no matter how awesome it is, investing in it is not something I'd want to risk, were I a Hollywood producer.

I'm totally open to being proved wrong, though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Sylver

I see what everyone is saying and I'd also be afraid of a botched movie that ruins the game experience for everyone. But then this is what they said about Peter Jackson's attempt with Lord of the Rings back in 2000 - they said it was impossible to make into a movie and that the fans of the book were going to be crushed by disappointment. So don't you think that if this were in the hands of a really great director, particularly like Peter Jackson or Guillermo del Toro who know how to put fantasy to film, this could be magical?

15. Shevanel

^ It could be very very possible. But like I said, making a book adaptation into a film (especially with some help from the previous animated Lord of the Rings from the 70s), is easier to do. With video games it's going to be a lot more difficult. It COULD be done. But is anyone going to give it there all? To spend all the money to make sure it's perfect? It's gonna be an extremely rare occurrence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Like, just look at this list. xD The only games-film adaptations that turn out rather decent are not live-action, or the independently made films (like Escape from City 17 and I just saw the MGS Philanthropy one, and through skimming through it, it looked rather well made).

One upcoming video game adaptation that may break this curse is the Prince of Persia film, Mike Newell is a pretty damn good director (Donnie Brasco, Four Weddings and a Funeral), and we've got Jake Gyllenhaal in the main role, and then Ben Kingsley and Alfred Molina in supporting roles? It sounds pretty damn promising. So we'll see what happens with that.

With this Zelda movie that you all seem to want (I wouldn't be against the idea if it turned out great), would you want the storyline of the film to be faithful to which game? I haven't played all the games, but it is my understanding that all of the games are quite separate in a way, right? So which game would be the film's storyline?

Also, who would you cast as the lead roles if this was YOUR film? :slight_smile: