1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

media visibility for LGBT

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Chandra, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Chandra

Sorry if there's another thread about this already. I had a quick look and didn't see one.

I just posted in the francophone thread about how the latest issue of Châtelaine (a Canadian fashion magazine) in Quebec has a story on lesbianism: http://fr.chatelaine.com/dossiers/lesbiennes/article.jsp?content=20100302_161043_9096

And it's not hidden in the back pages, either - the magazine cover is a giant pink heart with the words "THEY LIKE GIRLS" written over it. (Interestingly, the English version doesn't have a parallel article. Hmm.)

Any other examples of visibility in the media that you've come across lately?

2. RaeofLite

Well more and more shows have characters that are bisexual or gay which is good. :slight_smile: I cannot remember any articles in particular that I remember. However, I do remember an article in a Seventeen magazine once about a few young ladies who realized they were gay when I was a teenager. I remember feeling weird reading it (and not because they were gay) because I had gay friends then but... because of how I felt reading it.

I remember leaving it int he bathroom reading pile once, and it was "missing" soon after so my mom obviously hid it. And this was before I really "put two and two together" about myself. So I'm guessing she suspected about me and hoped that by not reading it (too late lol) that I wouldn't 'become' gay. But I found it the last year or so when it was suddenly in the pile again during a visit to my parents.