1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poets! I need your advice!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 15, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So I've taken on a bit of a challenge.

I need to write 4 to 8 limericks for english.

Any suggestions on how to write good limericks? Do you know any rhyming dictionary websites?

I'm not a horrible poet, but im not great! thanks in advance :grin:

2. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

limericks aren't my forte but i'll try to help. :slight_smile: So are they meant to be specific to a certain subject? I wouldn't worry about rhymes too much unless they've specified that you only use full rhymes instead of half, otherwise it's not too hard. Try ottava rima, that starts getting tricky. :slight_smile:
    First as with any poem you write (the way i do it, atleast) you should read some similar poetry before hand, not so you can copy but so you're in that type of poetically creative mindset, though avoid the "old man from nantucket" type as you'll slip into smutty mediocrity. I think wendy cope may have written some which are quite good. Then just put pen to paper, keep writing a couple to get you settled in before you go for gold and trust in the muses to guide you in the right direction. Not a great help i know, but it's the best i can do when it comes to this form. Sorry.

3. MusicIsLife

Thanks :slight_smile: & they're supposed to be on a futuristic kind of technology, from genetic to music to pretty much whatever you want. Mine is some scientists get together and use dinosaur dna to make dinos walk the earth once again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: