1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ugly Betty FINALLY has a gay kiss.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ANightDude, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ANightDude

http://www.afterelton.com/tv/2010/03/uglybetty-justin-kiss?page=0,1

2. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just got caught up with the episode earlier and I was so happy to see this. Makes me all the more sad that the show is ending in just 4 episodes. :frowning2:

3. ricoca

I said "Awwwww..." when they kissed.
    The other guy is cute :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was an AMAZING scene... and about time too! I'm kinda shocked/stunned/amazed they'd show actual boy/boy kissing on network TV; sometimes it seems like they have trouble with even grown men (never with women kissing one another but then that's a whole other story).

I love how Justin's all "I like a girl!" and Marc's like, "Say what?!"

5. ANightDude

Is this the first time a teenage male/male kiss has been shown on a network? If it has, I surely haven't seen it.

But the scene was ADORABLE! :grin:

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's probably the youngest male/male kiss on network TV ever. Mark Indelicato, who plays Justin, isn't even 16. The earliest guy/guy kiss I can remember was on Dawson's Creek with Jack and some guy but Kerr Smith was probably nearly 30 at that point (ha) and I think... oh there we go: "He was the first man to have an on-screen gay kiss on USA television, in season two of Dawson's Creek." So he was playing a teenager but he would have been about 27 at the time.

I don't know if I consider the WB a "network" in the same way ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX are. The WB, UPN, and the CW are generally referred to as "netlets."

I'm sure there's some list on the Intarwebs somewhere that lists all the TV guy/guy kisses. :slight_smile:

7. ANightDude

Well I chekced it out, apparently it's the first on American Television. The UK beat us out on that one. As for Canada, Degrassi may or may not have beaten this, but I think UB remains the youngest.

8. ThePug

I'm so upset that Ugly Betty is getting canceled. What other shows am I going to watch that actually interest me with such amazing characters and topics, such as this one?!

9. elitechris

i was looking forward to last nights episode to see if austin came back and he did!
    in the beginning justin kept calling him but would get austin's voicemail.
    austin didn't show up until the end and he just smiled and the episode ended with the two having a conversation...
    and check out the description for next weeks episode:

*SPOILER ALERT*

“London Calling” -- Betty gets an assignment to cover London Fashion Week, accompanied by Amanda, and she brings Hilda along as a bachelorette party treat. She reconnects w/Christina (Ashley Jensen) and also runs into Gio (Freddy Rodriguez) unexpectedly. Willie joins AA to get closer to Tyler and to double-cross Claire and Daniel, and Bobby can't figure out why Justin is spending all his time with Austin -- until he can -- on “Ugly Betty

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

It really is incredible that they actually showed the kiss, specially of two young guys. Shows that we have made some progress. For some reason though I can't but dislike the way that Ugly Betty presents their gay characters so stereotypical.

Nothing against the stereotype itself, but, in my opinion, these are the few chances that we have to present a different image of the gay man to some people that have never met a gay guy in person.

Shows like modern family,two and a half men and the real world (yes XD) at least present a different point of view for people to think about. They are not perfect roles, but at least it is different from what people expect.

Just wanting to know what you guys think about this. Never mentioned it before to anyone else really.

11. gialamas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gah, whenever I think of Ugly Betty.. I think of one person..

David Blue.

Hes so flippin cute. I just want to cuddle him up and take him home. You have no idea how excited I got when I watched him in Stargate universe. He made the mildly bland plotline still entertaining to watch :grin: