1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you refuse 1 million dollars?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by prismaticlight, Mar 29, 2010.

1. I came across this story today and found it interesting. I have heard of other geniuses refusing big prizes or wishing they did. In an interview back in 1983 Richard Feynman said he wished he had never won the Noble prize. What would you do if you found yourself in this position?

http://www.azfamily.com/news/national/89476702.html

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why the hell would I refuse a free million dollars?

3. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

If I was him I would take it, sounds like he deserves it, but maybe he has a reason. I could see not accepting it if it was a bribe or pay off to do something really nasty

4. donnie5

I don't understand why? why does he want to refuse the money it doesn't say...

5. Yeah I'm very confused. I can't think of any rational reason to not take the money.

6. Zumbro

The money isn't so free as it sounds though. Many people who win the lottery end up declaring bankruptcy because they can't afford the taxes on their new value, and they spend all of the money right away rather than saving it for said taxes. Also, when you win large sums of money, extended family and second cousins once removed and friends from elementary school often start wanting to "reconnect" with you, completely unrelated to your new money, of course.

7. Breakdown

i would want it, i would put it in the bank.

if he didnt want it he could of gave it 2 sum origization.

8. xCrazyInsanity

Karma tends to bite people who win these kind of prizes.

I've heard a lot of stores about people winning the lottery and then something big happening that they loose something
    ..."but at least they have the money"

9. Sylver

I'll pick up on something Zumbro said... that money is never "free". Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but when someone walks up to me and says "Here, have a million dollars" I start to look for the catch...

10. Connor22

I would turn it down

11. Brad

I understand why he wouldn't want to accept it. He obviously wants to continue under the radar without the publicity. However in this case he would get more publicity for rejecting it.

12. Halpert

This. I've read articles about people that win the highball, and resent. You'd think its easy, but its not. Someone even said they'll get letters addressed simply to the Florida highball winner, asking for money. I'll stick with what I've got thank you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather make money than win it. Taxes suck, and as previously stated they drain all you win and then some. And seeing as how I'm pretty anti-social, I wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of strangers wanting to suddenly hang out with me. Money may come quickly, but then it flees even faster.

I seriously doubt I'll be winning a large sum of cash anytime soon, so I probably won't ever have to worry. I can't say I'd turn it down though. I mean, let's be realistic...

14. This makes sense to me now. I understand why he does not want the money. I don't think I would ever want to be known by people I don't know.

15. RaeofLite

I agree. I'd let a large chunk of it build interest and snowball and then pay any taxes needed on it, and continue to let it grow! :slight_smile:

16. totallyfierce

I would refuse the money if I did not deserve it. Like if a law was broken in the process of creating work that then won. Or if I took someone elses work and called it my own. I would be afraid that in the future the truth could come out and it would garish or completely ruin my reputation.

17. I had a million dollars, but... I SPENT IT ALL!

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'd think someone who won the noble prize would have a larger brain than some of said lottery winners.

19. Bryan90

:icon_bigg Maybe because he has wisdom that we have yet to understand or comprehend. :slight_smile:

20. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    Just maybe he feels guilt over it...
    im saying no should you understand great if not blah

im not suggesting he stole anything from any one