1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate Housewives - Gay Characters

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So while on one hand, I'm thrilled they've got Lee and Bob wanting to have a child, which is just awesome. But what Marc Cherry has done with Andrew's character, despite him being a guest starring character again, is quite frustrating. The fact he made Andrew have an affair with some dumb bimbo of a guy who worked for Bree is just making me FURIOUS. We're trying to make people remember we AREN'T sluts and whores and people who can't have a committed relationship, and while Bob & Lee are that, they've given Andrew, who has been in Housewives longer than them, and affair I'm just like damn you Marc Cherry, damn you.

Thoughts?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thoughts: some people, gay or straight, are "sluts or whores" (or just more generally, not saints) and Desperate Housewives is a melodrama where many of the characters, especially the straight ones, have questionable judgment. While it would be nice to get more gay representation on network TV in general, wanting every gay character to be some kind of 1950s Stepford husband perfect zombie is just as unrealistic as portraying them all as people of questionable morals.

For the life of me I will never understand why so many people feel like they have to attack any gay person or character who isn't some kind of angel. Talk about double standard: do we attack shady straight characters for misrepresenting all straight people? No, we don't. You know why? Because we presume that people are smart enough to realize that one straight person doesn't represent ALL straight people. When we expect all gay people (and characters) to be perfect because they somehow magically represent all gay people everywhere, we feed the very mistaken notion that you can know what all gay people are like from the actions of one gay person, so on top of saying that stereotyping is just fine and dandy, we're also saying all gay people are (and should be) the same.

When we come out, generally we say to the world, in some way, shape, or form, "accept me as I am." So we want to be valued by the larger mainly straight mainstream as individuals but we're going to dump on any gay person who dares not to present themselves in some kind of politically correct homonormative manner? Yeah, that's called hypocrisy.

If you look into the roots of the modern gay rights movement, you'll find out that originally, before it (apparently) became all about marriage, and having kids, and a lovely home in the suburbs (i.e. before the assimilationist craze began), the movement was about freedom, as in people being free to be as they were and to love who they wanted, how they wanted, and when they wanted. Now that may be a bit utopian but to me it's certainly a lot better than attacking people or representations of people simply because they don't portray gay people in a 120% "positive," palatable to the suburban Midwest, way. As a group of oppressed people, it's pretty ridiculous when we go around telling people "you're not acting in a socially acceptable manner" since that's exactly what we get hit with over and over and over again by the homophobes.

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, Andrew isn't exactly a role model, no. Though he was always written like that.

I remember little throwaway lines like Lynette discussing his salary (when he worked at her pizzeria), and him replying the only reason he stayed was an affair with the guy who delivered beer. Might not have been given much screentime, but that element was always there.

I actually like the mix of good and bad they have in all characters. And as you say, Bob and Lee are somewhat more positive as rolemodels (again, to the extent that anyone in DH could ever be seen as a rolemodel).

If people are seeing characters in an obviously over-the-top series like Desperate Housewives as an accurate representation of what gay people are like, then they are truly lost to any sense of rationality anyway...

4. Camman3

You should have put a spoiler wanring on this:tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

In South Africa they are showing Episode... um... 7 I think it is tonight. (lol SPOILER ALERT****) The Plane just crashed at the end of last episode.

I hope I didn't see too much to ruin everything.

PS: I always loved Andrew :love:!! But his boyfriend in Season 2, (real name) Ryan Carnes was just :jawdrop: hot :love::love:

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay or not I like Danny / Tyler. Not that I know what that has to do with this thread.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for the spoiler. I never think about the other countries it's in....

As for the show, I don't know, I just love Housewives, and am big on gay rights and respect. I think that's my reasoning behind my posting this topic...

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg. I know, right? :eusa_droo:eusa_droo:eusa_droo:eusa_droo:eusa_droo

8. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    well i love anfrew i love shawn danny looks okay but shawn is the beast, he is the reason i started watching the show i was sad when he left on season 6 and his new hair style makes him less hot. on another note if he was a good guy id like him less and his current boyfriend is so not hot and is mean to bree therefor has to be cheated on !

9. Ben

Ben

Gay or straight, they all have affairs on Desperate Housewives anyway.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [SPOILERS]

Well if some of you are watching.....Lee and Bob just broke up....