1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love You Phillip Morris

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sokk, Apr 11, 2010.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Have you seen it? What did you think about it?

I liked it, but the movie was far from perfect. For starters I don't think they showed enough of the romance between Phillip and Steven. It is called "I love You Phillip Morris" after all. Secondly, I did not like how they used the AIDS isue in the movie. Thirdly, they focused too much on Steven as a con artist, sure, it was fun. But I still wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more of the romance. I thought the first half of the movie was very strong, but then it kinda died off a bit in the second half. I actually found the second half to be kinda boring.

2. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ahh, I'm kind of jealous. I loved the book and was planning to see it before they announced it was "indefinitely" delayed here in the U.S. :frowning2:

Obviously I can't really comment on the movie, but what was it about how they treated AIDS in the movie that you found offensive? Did they make it comical?

Tbh, I was wondering how they would cover it. AIDS plays such a big role in the book, from the death of a partner to Stevens grandest escape plan, that it made me wonder if Carrey could portray it fairly.

3. RainbowJay

I'm not amazed that they keep delaying it, month by month, it's just getting ridiculous.

Despite the negative reviews it may get, I'm still excited for it :]

4. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know it's like that in the book. I just didn't like it at all in the movie. They used it as a comical thing. How he went through this transformation to saying Texans are stupid for believing him without ever taking a blood sample.

I don't know, the movie was weird.. First he was this straight married christian man, then he was gay, then a con artist, then it was all about his relationship with phillip inside and outside of the prison, then it was the aids issue before the end where the last scene is him escaping from the prison again.

I had many issues with the movie. It wasn't exactly a comedy. Thre was probably only like two comical elements in the whole movie, both at the beginning. The beginning of the movie was funny. The middle part was cute, when it was all about his relationship with Phillip. But then it got kinda boring. For 2/3 of the movie we never even see Phillip. It's just about Steven escaping from prison and the AIDS thing.

I wish they would focus a bit more on the romance and less on him escaping from prison. This version only had two kisses btw. The sundance version had 6 kisses. But they needed to re-edit the movie, since it was "too gay" to get a distributor. Which I find weird. They kept all the sex scenes, but cut the kisses? I'd rather see more kisses than the sex scenes. Oh well..

The movie only got mediocre reviews here in Norway, most newspapers said the movie was schizophrenic (sp?), and I kinda agree. It was a success though. It came in second only after Kick-Ass in it's opening weekend. The movie theatre I was in was packed. So at least that's good. I like the fact that we finally get to see a mainstream gay themed movie. The movie itself on the other hand.. *meh*

5. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    I saw it and I thought it was great. Very funny movie, with a nice mix of the con artist and the lover. But comeon, you can't expect Jim Carrey to be in a very serious romantic movie.