1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 Girl 5 Gays

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RAJ Aladdin, Apr 23, 2010.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

"1 Girl 5 Gays" is a forum show on MTV Canada in which MTV VJ Aliya-Jasmine interviews 5 gays about anything- which translates into "gay sex issues". Does anyone watch it because I would like to know others' opinions.

Personally, I detest the show. I feel it has the gays as commodities... "1 Girl 5 Gays", why couldn't it be "1 Heterosexual Girl 5 Gays" or "1 Girl 5 Boys"...I know, I know, it's the gay perspective they want but because the topics they cover are all sex, sex, sex, gossip, sex and more sex it just shows gays as a hypersexual stereotype or in my eyes a commodity which I do not approve of. And they are all effeminate gays which has it as if ALL gays are effeminate. They are not, (and there is nothing wrong with being effeminate) but why can't we show that gays can be sportive, active, jocks, who have intellectual things to say about politics, religion, art and entertainment, and so forth instead of "How much of a bitch is Perez Hilton?".

I would like to know where you guys stand on the show- hate it, love it?

2. Spectre

I disagree with your assessment. All of the gays on that show are not effeminate.

Yes, it may have gays as a commodity, but it is also increasing public awareness (and awareness within the gay community) of certain important issues. I find it interesting to see some of their perspectives on things... aside from the whole "who would you rather have sex with... X or Y" segments. Overall, the show helps to increase society's acceptance of that community or orientation. The show also helps other gays to understand or relate their own experiences to those of the 5 gays'.

At least that's my opinion.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MY friend auditioned for it actually...and i find the show amusing...when I can catch it lol.

4. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love this show! Just FYI, it's available to watch on AfterElton, Logo and MTV Canada for those of you who wanna check it out.

5. AlyssWonderland

I haven't seen it before, but now I'm curious to watch it. Anyone have a youtube link or something of where I can watch it?

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That just wouldn't sell xD Same deal with the A-list w/e thing on logo.

They are simply trying to sell a product and thats what they do. I don't really like it, but if people enjoy it then I guess.

I think its important to not let these shows bother you too much. Heteros also have their trashy shows where nothing else happens other than drama.

7. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You can watch it here:

http://www.logotv.com/shows/one_girl_five_gays/series.jhtml

BTW, it's interesting how this is on a gay channel in the US and on a general channel (MTV) in Canada

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or if in Canada you can watch it on MTV

http://www.mtv.ca/tvshows/1-girl-5-gays/video.jhtml

Oh and just so everyone knows, I MAY be on the show at some point. It just depends on a few factors. I've made the first cut, so so long as I'm comfortable being in that type of situation, and that my second audition will happen after my drama club's musical production (which I've put in four months of hard work into so there's no way I'm missing it even for my foot in the door in the industry) then there's a good chance I might be on it.

9. Ridiculous

Wow nice, that's awesome. Even though I'll never see it seeing as I'm in New Zealand :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dig the show! I sit there and talk along with it every night I get the chance to.

Sure, it's pretty shallow subject matter, but honestly there are a lot of worse television shows out there that I could be watching... And some of the guys are pretty good looking in my opinion.

11. Nomad187

Its my favorite show. I have watched it since day one =3

12. Thisisnew

I like the show.

I disagree with the statement that all of the guys on the show are effeminate, I feel they a have a good range of gay men on they show. Yeah maybe they could have less celebrity questions, but a lot people like those types of questions so it pulls in viewers.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys also know that the high majority of questions on that show are asked by viewers of the show on the 1G5G Twitter.

14. Tim

Tim

I don't really like the show, most of the guys are massively stereotypical and shallow.

15. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Cute show. Been watching episodes online since I don't have Logo anymore.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry....have you walked outside these days? Like 60% of the world is shallow >_>

17. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love the irony of this thread now, with some of the posts; I see there's an episode with a question called "How do you think gays are represented on this show?"

18. Beachboi92

sometimes it is funny sometimes it bores me. The show is one that takes a number of gay comedians, however effeminate they are doesn't matter it is the way they are. I personally have seen a couple interesting intellectual conversations on the show when dealing with relationships and other topics.

People on this forum need to understand something, we need to stop blaming the minorities for the issues they encounter. It is ignorant people that are responsible for stereotypes associated with minority groups. It is not every gays/black person/woman's/whatever other persons job to represent the demographic that they are a part of.

effeminate or gossip talking gay guy appears on TV people complain and say he makes gays look bad, heres a magical concept, stop judging entire groups based on one person! OMG what a ridiculous idea to understand that personal experience is not a valid basis for forming sweeping generalizations about a group of people.

we essentially blame the victim in the situation, ignorant people form stereotypes and act ignorantly and bigoted and we go "why did the minority act like themselves, they let this happen." how about we say "why is that person being racist/sexist/ignorant" i mean really. No matter how stereotypical a person acts it is no excuse to be a bigot. It is comparable to blaming the victim in a case of rape. Just cause a girl dresses skanky and hits on a guy doesn't mean it should be ok for him to rape her.

you want more masculine gay interest things, there are magazines for that, Nip/Tuck covers a lot of interesting gay related issues and is a very masculine show.

Also sex sells, gossip sells, comedy sells, and if i saw a show named 1 heterosexual girl and 5 homosexual guys i'd say "wow this show looks stupid who the hell comes up with that dumb name." 1 girl 5 gays, simple sweet to the point title i don't see a problem, that is what the show involves, 1 girl and 5 gay guys sitting and talking...

If a show comes on and its 1 girl five guys and they talk about football and beer and "straight" things no one throws a bitch fit or tries complains about straight stereotypes. All these stereotypes we associate with straight white males are fine, but when it comes to any other group it is bad... why?

/end rant

19. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Very well said. And honestly, I'm glad we have a show like this that covers sexual topics, the perfect guy, love etc. featuring gay people. It's about time.

In seeing more and more of the episodes, they spend quite a bit of time answering questions about life with parents and family, coming out, most offensive gay stereotypes, and as a gay person of color, I loved when they had Ish mentioning that we should have more proud and out gay people of color as well as everyone else who is out. And yes, as I mentioned earlier, they talk about femininity with gay men. And I agree with one of the panelists. If you're really being yourself and not putting on a front, then who cares.

So yes, it covers much more ground than just gossip-type stuff. Because if all they did was cover was that, I wouldn't recommend anyone else give it a shot, since gossip shows really aren't my cuppa.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing though...they don't take "gay comedians" as you said, they take regular people...I'm not a comedian and yet I'm already one cut away from being on the show...I won't be as frequent as David, Matt, or Yerxa for example since I live two hours away, but still they told me so long as I have no problems talking about love and sex, I'll be on the show basically.

And excuseyou, I completely agree, this show is wonderful because if you think about it, aside from QAF, when have you seen a gay television show on national tv that actually talks like "i was having sex with this guy and ...". Barely none. Many shows do NOT want to touch that subject, so having a show that touches on gay sex I think is wonderful...

#20 Revan, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010