1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sokk, Apr 25, 2010.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    OK, so I hope there are some other tennis fans out there. I love the sport, I'm such a tennis addict.

I thought I'd make this thread just in case someone would like to talk about the tennis season, both ATP and WTA would be fine, though I'm more interested in the ATP tour.

I wanna start the thread by saying congrats to Fernando Verdasco for winning over Robin Soderling in Barcelona Open today. He did awesome and won with 6-3, 4-6, 6-3. Two finals in two weeks, and one win. Not bad. I can forgive him for losing to Rafa in the Monte Carlo final last week, Rafa is after all the king of clay..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81IoEuciNIs[/YOUTUBE]

2. 4 seat

Yeah maybe this summer he can beat Rafa again and then actually try to give Federer a challenge at Roland Garros. But I'm glad Fed finally got the French last year, he's been waiting for that for years and Rafa has just never let him through. Too bad he wasn't able to get the Grand slam. Kool though, the French Open starts in like a month and a half. Looks like he's been practicing.

June is gonna be frickin AWESOME this year. French Open, World Cup and Vegas for my birthday. This is why I love '02 '06 '10 etc. World Cup and Winter Olympics in the same year. Amazing. Got start requesting days off from work now. Haha.

Any thoughts on who's gonna take the French? And Wimbledon for that matter. Or do you think it's just gonna be Fed vs. Rafa final for both of them?

3. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm a total Rafa fan, so I'll always cheer for him no matter what. Federer has enough GS titles IMO. It's time for Rafa to start winning again. Well, he did win in Monte Carlo, but it's not a GS, and the best players were missing. Fed, Sod etc.. So it was an easy win for him. You could totally see it too, coasting through all sets with like 6-2 and 6-1. I want Rafa to win French Open this year. He looked in good shape in Monte Carlo, even though like I said, best players were missing. Most people have Rafa as a favorite for Roland Garros, and well, I kinda do too. I think he has a fair shot, even with Fed. Rafa is better than Fed on clay IMO.

What I am more worried about though is the Rome draw.. Did you see it? He is in the same section as both Soderling AND Federer. It's his own fault, for letting his ranking slip. I think it will be tough, but then again.. If anyone can do it it's him.

I am very glad Fernando won today cause I personally cannot stand Soderling. It's his whole attitude. The way he bullied and teased Nadal on court was just plain wrong. Fine, he didn't like that Nadal used so much time, but teasing him like that.. Ugh, it made me so mad. I know a lot of people can't stand him, and I don't blame them. Tennis isn't just about being a good player, but also respecting other players, and well, Soderling hasn't done that in the past. So I was really happy when I saw Nando hold up that trophy today! All his hard work really paid off. He wasn't even going to the Barcelona Open, but I'm sure he's glad now for getting that WC. I have seen a lot of improvement in his game. Not even just in his game, but his whole mentality and confidence. And this win surely gave him even more confidence. I think he will be a force to reckon with in the upcoming tourneys, at least if he keeps playing as good as he has the last few weeks.

What worries me most about Rome is that he must be REALLY tired after Barcelona. He has had some very difficult matches.. I don't blame him if he falls early in Rome. He has done very good these last two weeks that it doesn't really matter. He should be fit for fight in Madrid and RG though.

4. Connor22

lol I think this story goes here:
    I was at wimbeldon with my dad and brother a few years ago and one of the players we saw was a ukrainian called Lubjlqavik or something very similar, so a crowd of new zealanders decided to rename him 'lubey' and shouted things like 'come on lubey' etc etc, he got very annoyed with them adn hit an aimed shot into the crowd right into the crowd of new zealanders, they took a hint and left, he then went on to lose the match :frowning2: which was a pity cus I had 50p riding on him winning

5. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ooh, this is a great idea for a thread. I'm completely addicted to tennis!!!

I loved Monte Carlo but the highlight for me was David Nalbandian getting to the quarters after all his injury problems the last year. He played a few really good matches which is hopefully a sign of things to come. With a good draw he could do well at the French Open.

I can hardly mention Monte Carlo though without praising Rafa who looked back to his best on the clay. I suppose he's a strong favourite for the French now, but i wouldn't mind seeing Fed get a second title in Paris!

6. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nah, I'd like Nadal to take back the FO title. He did so well in Monte Carlo, and is obviously in very good shape. I think he has a good chance. Even against Fed and Söderling, Nadal is a better player on clay than both of those two.

I am more worried about this upcoming tourney in Rome though. It is the draw from hell. The one half is the toughest I've seen in years. The other half is sooo easy! But of course Nadal got the tough side of the draw. He is facing both Soderling and Federer before a potential final.. Verdasco has an easier draw, and he has improved a lot, both his game and mentally too. I think he has a chance to go far in Rome, if he's not too tired after Barcelona. I know the top players skipped the tourney because it was too close to Rome, and it was probably a good idea. But, Verdasco has a fairly easy draw, Bolelli in 2nd round, then Youzhny in 3rd, and then Djokovic in the quarter. Djokovic will be tough to beat, but I think he can do it. He did beat him in Monte Carlo. I think Verdasco is a better player on clay than Djokovic.

I'm such a tennis addict, and my two faves are Verdasco and Nadal. I was so proud of Verdasco for winning yesterday. All his hard work finally payed off. I was over the moon happy the whole evening! lol :lol:

Tennis players off court..

Spanish tennis team doing a photo shoot for Elle:
    http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/46089225.html

Verdasco in an underwear ad:
    [YOUTUBE]uEtmQIRTYlk[/YOUTUBE]

7. 4 seat

First off, nice video. Haha.

Second, I'm sure Verdasco can beat Djokovic in Rome. Nole may have been getting better on clay, but mentally, Verdasco is stronger. But yeah, Nadal is better than Fed and Soderling on clay, but he does have the pressure of having lost to Soderling last year which could make it tough for him. He's got something to prove and he needs to step up and can't assume that he's got a free ride to the final round. If he plays his own game, he can always win on clay. But if not, he has some challenges ahead. Rome's a good tourney to win, but I'm sure they're all saving their energy and focus for Roland Garros. It's a Grand Slam after all.

8. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yep, I totally agree. They are all saving themselves for Roland Garros. I was surprised to see how easily Verdasco beat Djokovic in Monte Carlo.. I had no faith in him at all, and I'm a fan. He's always had problems beating the top ranked players, like Nadal, Federer, Soderling, Roddick, Djokovic etc. But this year.. wow. He beat Roddick in the final in San Jose, he beat Djokovic in the semi final in Monte Carlo and Soderling in Barcelona. I definitely see some improvement, and this is a huge step up for him. It's obvious he has gotten better at both his game and mental part too. He said so himself. lol.

Rome first day.. WOW! Some huge upsets. Biggest one probably Ferrero. Ferrero was long time the nr. 1 player in Spain (before Nadal). He has lost some momentum over the last few years though, he's obviously not as good anymore.. But to lose to a qualifier?!?! He is the 12th seed after all. Giraldo was so much better than Ferrero today, he won in two straight sets, 6-0, 6-2. Very good, and he definitely has potential. He is just 23 years old.

Both Gulbis and Isner won today.. Gulbis is VERY dangerous on clay, he obviously showed that against Verdasco. I'm glad Isner won too, I like him. He definitely has potential too. He is getting better.

9. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh my... Federer lost to Gulbis in the 2nd round in Rome. Not really surprised. I wasn't sure about Fed's shape and Gulbis has been playing very good lately. I knew an upset was about to happen.

10. Roralo

Roralo Guest

HUZZAH. Fellow tennis fans/players unite!

Aside from men's tennis, have any of you been keeping up with Melanie Oudin? :grin:

----------

Nadal for sure the French Open- he is the de facto King of Clay. For some reason, Roger has been losing some of his spark lately, then again I haven't been paying too much attention to him recently. Maybe Andy could go for another chance against Roger this year? Personally I would like to see some new blood but tennis is one of those consistent sports with the top keeping their positions for a very long time. Federer has always been amazing on the Wimbledon green, so I definitely see him taking it, me being or Andy fan or not.

I really want to see Andy, Murray (he has been struggling), and Novak give Rafa and Feds another run for their money. Especially Novak, he is one of my all time favorites. I highly doubt Sharapova can really recover but she is always so entertaining...

My money is on the Williams sisters (another one of my faves) and either Safina or Jankovic for the womens. :slight_smile:

11. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Verdasco almost lost today! The first set almost killed me. He was under 2-5 but managed to recover to get a tiebreak and won that! First set was just awful. But poor guy, must be very tired..

Nadal won as expected over Kohlschreiber 6-1, 6-3. Kohlschreiber was in the lead for the first part of the second set, a bit of a shocker there.. but just when I thought Nadal would come back, he did! He kicked it up a notch and won a few games in a row, and that was enough to defeat his opponent :slight_smile:

I agree about Nadal and French Open.. I think he will win, but I do think he will have some tough matches ahead of him. But, I mean.. We are talking clay here after all. Rafa is the king. Even Fed is not that good on clay, hell he lost to Gulbis yesterday! I have my doubts about Djokovic too, he lost to Verdasco in two straight sets in Monte Carlo. I think he's biggest opponent will be Soderling, like last year in French Open.

Oh, and btw.. Did anyone see the photo shoot that Fernando Verdasco did for FHM? HOTNESS OVERLOAD!

12. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    WOW! Verdasco won AGAIN. He is just amazing right now. I have no words. This guy rocks!

Nadal is playing right now against Stan. Looks like it's going to be a tough match, but Nadal still clinched first set 6-4.

13. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am so depressed. Verdasco played crap yesterday and couldn't even get to the QF, and this happened on his home court in Madrid!

Nadal won, but he had to struggle too. But well, the most important thing is that he won the match, unlike Verdasco. So at least he made it to the QF.