1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Zume, May 7, 2010.

1. Zume

I wanted to start a topic on this..a fresh thread so I can get everyone's input on this movie. What your thoughts are on it, your interpretations and how you would rate it. I actually made a blog post about it last night - http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/blog.php?b=3029 - I would appreciate input on it as well either here or on the blog post itself. I am open to any and all comments. This is the most important movie to me that I have ever seen and just want to see what everyone thinks about it :slight_smile:

2. olides84

I really liked the movie, mostly for the sheer spectacle of it. I just read your blog and while I definitely appreciate the elements that Cameron was trying to relate, it didn't move me in that way like it did you. But everyone comes into a movie looking for and getting different things--to each his own. For me, as an achievement in filmmaking, it was incredible.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    decent but WAY over hyped.

4. Shevanel

6-7/10 is what I'd rate it.

It was beautiful, sure, Visually. But it definitely had some of the worst writing ever. The acting wasn't really that great either. Don't say shit like that doesn't matter, because it does, especially when it was nominated for all it was nominated at the Academy Awards. Thank God it didn't win anything it didn't deserve.

Also there was already a thread on this when it came out :slight_smile:

Also, they totally ripped off a bunch of shit from Halo.
    Totally not the only person to notice this either.

#4 Shevanel, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. Zume

The quotes in it reinforce the first/second lines in my blog post. (the actual post..not the spoiler warning).. thank you for posting that though..it helps me get a better understanding of people's thoughts on it.

6. Connor22

I watched avatar for the story and for some decent sci-fi battles instead I got:
    [​IMG]

and the battle scene wasnt even that good

7. partietraumatic

way way over hyped imo. Visually stunning, and from a cinematography view well directed. However the acting was average, the story line was a mash up of sci fi clichés, and it was far too long. Basically an enjoyable film, but not one that i will watch again and again through my life.

A good cinema experience, but not a great film. Very average standard run of the mill sci-fi. 6-7/10 for me.

Furthermore i think it may have been enhanced by the fact it was the first 3D film ive ever seen, if it came out in say 5 years time, when i have seen a few,i doubt i would have been so overwhelmed by the visuals.

also i think to say that people will rate it lowly due to not understanding it is very harsh, and a bit insulting. I understand it fully and understand the points it makes, and yes they are valid. But they are nonetheless points that have been made many times before by many movies. No moral or point that this movie attampted to make struck me as a ground breaking advancement in my understanding of anything. And thats not because i didn't understand it, i came up with all the points you listed in your review, and some more on top of that, when i watched it. But they were all fairly standard and obvious points, which have been covered by films before.

So my summery would be ground breaking cinematography and CGI. Average acting and clichéd story arc and a very standard moral point that has been done to death by the film industry already.

So yeah, enjoyable but not vital viewing.

But hey thats the beauty of opinions :slight_smile: im sure you would say that some of the films i think are vital viewing are not very good lol

#7 partietraumatic, May 7, 2010
  8. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought it was okay, but not great. I agree with those who say it was overhyped. I understood what they were trying to point out but they didn't do such a great job at showing it. Very average IMO and didn't live up to the hype.

9. No One

I don't care what you all say, I say BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!

10. Shevanel

Says people who don't know movies. xD

11. Emberstone

I agree, rated high for the visual specticle, but yah, as a story teller myself *I am a obsessive reader, and love writing lengthy stories, of which some I would love to get to a publishable point*, I found it to be riddled with cliches, and too many moments that just required the viewer to force themselves to ignore how lame it was getting. I still loved the film, but I never saw james cameron as a talented storyteller. he can create amazing visual feasts for the eyes, yes, but beyond that, he is somewhat subpar in the story department. writing wise, he is not very dynamic.

12. Shevanel

Terminator 1 and 2, and Aliens? Those movies were freakin amazing. For everything about them. He just declined over the years and grew an ego bigger than originally thought to be possible

13. Emberstone

Never liked them. Sometimes, I think in the realms of sci-fi, sci-fantasy, and thrillers *avatar included*, it is easy to overdo everything. Never seen the abyss, but I cant sit through a terminator film. That might be that I never found arnold to be that qualified of a actor. He is like a walking cliche machine.

14. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImWOuB7YNk[/YOUTUBE]
    How can you say his performances aren't Oscar worthy? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved it, and thought it had great messages. People who give it low ratings just don't really understand it enough....I mean it beat out Titanic for heaven's sake.

16. olides84

To those who say it was overhyped, I wish we could all live in a hole and not know much (or anything!) about a movie before we see it. I really knew nothing about it except it was the latest Cameron epic and I'd be seeing it in 3-D. (It helps to live in a country where you don't speak its languages!) So neither hype nor expectations effected me, and I was blown away. Though not by the story.
    Says people who think that knowing movies discounts the ravings of extreme fanboys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Zume

Okay..gonna steer everyone back onto my goal of this thread. I appreciate everyone's take on it..but it seems as though we've veered off-course and gone from Avatar to the governator. I did not want to tell everyone to only post about my blog entry or about the spiritual aspect of it because I do respect your thoughts and opinions. But I am going to go ahead and copy and paste the important part of my blog entry here.. I understand that the movie follows the same lines as Pocahontas..and this point has been noted on several occasions by every single person I've talked to about it.. but the part that really escapes many people who watch this movie is the spiritual aspect of it and that is what I am trying to relay. ----

Sure..the story has been done so many times by other movies..but what has not been done when it comes to movies... You will not find new ideas..all movies will repeat themselves..they will just be located in different settings..like this is on another world rather than on Earth..yes we get it :slight_smile: That is why you must start looking at the message each movie carries..move past the fact of how the native americans have been treated, the storyline and effects and delve into the spiritual message in Avatar.

This love and respect..this reverence for the planet..something that has nearly been lost in our own world. I am trying to bring to the forefront something that has been overlooked by most people..something that has been blanketed by the desire to put down the director, the story, comment on the effects and the acting rather than the message. Many have become so critical of movies and how they are made that they lose sight of the messages that shine through the story and effects.

18. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

It was better than I'd expected. Granted, my expectations weren't really high, but a sci-fi film with a strong political message against colonialism and possibly an allegory of Iraq's invasion by the USA is not something you see so often. Sure, it might not be uber-deep in terms of concepts, but I celebrate the fact that there's at least one blockbuster that actually has something to say considering the lack of ideas that characterizes action films.

19. Shevanel

I understand your connection, I just don't think it's that much of a meaningful movie. It wishes it was, but it doesn't really do a good job of it I think. There are SO Many better films though, like so many =/

EDIT: What I mean to say is it's a silly movie.

#19 Shevanel, May 7, 2010
  20. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Haveing watched it i see nothing like that in it at all! Its tried too hard and failed imo. They could of spent half of what they payed and gotten the same result.