1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite GLBT-Themed Movies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JB1986, May 22, 2010.

1. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's no absolutely no secret to anyone who knows me that I'm a huge movie buff. Always have been, always will be. Since coming out, I've had the opportunity to watch quite a few GLBT-themed films. Some great, some not so great. Anyway, I decided to start a thread to discuss everyone's favorite GLBT-themed films. So, what are your favorites? Discuss! :slight_smile:

Here are mine (I'll also say why I like them, so this might be a little long. Sorry. :grin:)

1. Shelter: Okay, this has become my favorite movie. I just love it. The romance between Zach (Trevor Wright) and Shaun (Brad Rowe) is so realistic and wonderful. I was able to really connect with this movie, and I just love it so much.

2. Beautiful Thing: The title pretty much says it all. Jaime (Glen Berry) and Ste (Scott Neal) was very sweet and tender. The Mama Cass songs featured throughout the movie really set the tone as well. A truly wonderful film.

3. Milk: Harvey Milk's story was so inspirational, and the film was so well made. Sean Penn's performance was incredible.The final line, "if a bullet should enter my brain, let it break down every closet door" really got to me. Fantastic.

4. Brokeback Mountain: Like I'd really leave this one off my list. This is just an incredibly well made film. Heath Ledger's performance was simply incredible.

5. Prayers For Bobby: I've seen this twice, and cried like a baby both times. The religious aspect of it hit very close to home for me. Sigourney Weaver was phenomenal.

6. Latter Days: I really loved this movie. Wes Ramsey and Steve Sandvoss made a very nice on-screen pair. Sandvoss' performance in particular was excellent. He was too adorable for words. I wanted to hug him the whole time. :slight_smile:

7. Were The World Mine: I love musicals. So naturally I loved this. Tanner Cohen was incredible as the lead Timothy.

8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Yeah, I know it's a stretch to include this on a GLBT-themed movie list, but since Dr. Frankenfurter is a transsexual and does build himself a muscle-man, I think it's fair. Anyway, what a fucking fun movie! Tim Curry is phenomenal.

9. Rent: I really loved this movie. The music was amazing, and I loved the issues they touched on. The topics are still relevant. It makes me wish I would have had the chance to see the show on Broadway.

10. But I'm A Cheerleader: Oh, was this one fun. The sheer ridiculousness of the "straight camp" shown in the movie was hysterical. I laughed my ass off the whole time. I loved it!

11. The 24th Day: This is a really intriguing and thought-provoking film. Scott Speedman and James Marsden give very good performances. Not the most cheery of films, but I do recommend it.

Anyway, that's my list. Post yours! :thumbsup:

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shelter
    Latter Days
    Save Me
    Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy
    Transamerica
    To Wong Foo: Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
    Angels in America (technically a mini series, but whatever)
    Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
    Adam and Steve
    Boys Don't Cry
    8 Femmes
    Billy's Dad is a Fudgepacker (a short film, but it's funny)
    Queer Duck: The Movie
    The Sum of Us
    Prayers for Bobby
    A Home at the End of the World
    Unconditional Love (this one had me singing Barry Manilow's I Can't Smile Without You for weeks)
    I have tons more, but I can't remember them at the moment...

3. Shevanel

The Birdcage
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Rent
    and Milk.

I think thats about it.

Oh.

For the Bible Tells Me So
    Mysterious Skin

Most gay films I've attempted to watch were rather shittily made... And/or boring.

4. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    Mambo Italiano. Not really much of a contest for that lol.

5. Zach1992

Latter Days, Edge of Seventeen, Prayers for Bobby, For the Bible Tells Me so.

I started to watch Priscilla last night, I need to finish it though.

The RENT movie is horrid. I suggest picking up the 'Filmed Live on Broadway' version if you haven't already.

6. subaru000

Is Shelter better than Latter Days with regards to the guys and their relationship? I think Latter Days is one of the best LGBT themed movies out there.

7. Shevanel

I'm just a big fan of Rosario Dawson and Tracie Thoms. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And their subsequent involvement together in Death Proof. xD

8. Zach1992

Tracie is also in the Filmed Live version. :grin:
    [​IMG]

#8 Zach1992, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say it's better, but those two are probably my favorite LGBT movies ever so I'm not exactly one to make that call.

10. subaru000

Sounds good BlackCat. I'm watching For The Bible Tells Me So. The Fruit Pie scene is a classic. Haha.

11. Connor22

the only ones I've seen are:
    Get real
    AWESOME and kinda funny

Telledega nights: the ballad of ricky bobby
    I know it isn't exactly gay themed but sacha bo cohen is amazing in it plus it's hilarious

12. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn, I forgot to list another one of my favorites: Mulligans. I love Charlie David, he wrote, produced, directed, and stars in the movie.

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Shelter and Save Me have been the only good gay movies I have seen, and I have seen quite a few. (I haven't seen Latter Days yet.)

While it's not gay themed, V for Vendetta deals with homosexuality throughout the movie and is a wonderful move.

(Oh, and I forgot Bedrooms and Hallways was actually pretty good.)

14. AlyssWonderland

Rent. The actual stage musical, not the movie remake. Broadway <3
    Angel Dumott Schunard made me cry so much. And the song I'll Cover You is so sweet. Lovelovelove it.

15. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Mulligans
    Latter Days
    Were the World Mine
    Mambo Italiano
    Prom Queen: The Marc Hall Story

16. Zach1992

Oh oh!!!!! How could I forget Hedwig & The Angry Inch!

17. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get real, beautiful thing, Shelter, Later days , Ciao , Brokeback mountain , Mysterious skin...

18. subaru000

Just finished viewing For The Bible Tells Me So and it was good with handling such a touchy subject while having such a varied group of people.

Mulligans was good, The Conrad Boys, Latter Days are other favorites of mine.

19. RainbowJay

Haven't seen Latter days or Ciao (yet), but the rest are definitely some of my faves.

There's also: Sommersturm (Summer storm), La mala educación (Bad Education), Låt den rätte komma in (Let the right one in), Ma Vie en Rose (My life in pink) for the foreign LGBT faves :]

and: Milk, DEBS (campy but fun), Transamerica, Maurice, A Single Man (such a beautifully shot movie), Fingersmith, Boys Don't Cry, No Night is Too Long, Rocky Horror, Kinky Boots, Priscilla: Queen of the desert, Breakfast on Pluto, Soldier's Girl, The Truth about Jane, Velvet Goldmine, Notes on a Scandal, and Wilde.

20. Zach1992

And I forgot about Kinky Boots. I have a bad memory.