1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piracy Vs. 'The Hurt Locker'

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by wherewulfe, May 28, 2010.

1. wherewulfe

http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/hurt-locker-producer-to-sue-pirates.html

TLDR version: Hurt Locker producers are suing thousands of individuals who pirated the movie online.

Another source i read said they would be charging a minimum $1,500 and then charging more for unresponded letters. 'The Hurt Locker' is currently $10-18 depending on where you buy it.

a much more extreme example of this is the RIAA vs. Pirate Bay for 32 counts of copy right infringement and seeking 13 million in damages. the 32 counts were each individual files of music.
    (its fun to see how much money your ipod is worth by adding up all your songs and finding out how much per song =p)

so im curious, what is everyone's thought on this?

2. InaRut

As a future moviemaker. This is how I feel about piracy. If its the usual hollywood crap...download it. But if the movie is actually good, and deserves your money then buy it.

Hurt Locker was good. I'd rather have it owned physically then digitally.

3. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I see it as some people will always go out and pay for it while others will torrent it. If you had no copyright people would still buy it as they would feel the need to.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Pirated the film online" Does that mean downloading, uploading, and/or viewing? Which?

They are just butthurt it sounds that their movie failed to produce big dollars.

5. wherewulfe

pirated meaning some guy on the film crew leaked the finished product online (in this case) 5 months before the movie actually came out. so in reality it means they downloaded it, viewed it, and then passed it out to others via bittorrent.

and yes, despite winning picture of the year, it only raked in 16 million.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually companies leak vids/songs on purpose....

They are just wasting their time and money suing people. Why not go after whoever leaked it? Suing tons of your customers probably is not the best business strategy as well.

7. djt820

Piracy is absolutely amazing. Its a great phenominon that I predict will produce the absolute downfall of the industry. When it comes to very indie movies or music, I usually buy though for it's not filling the pockets of CEOs.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It always amazes me just how entitled people think they are these days. Do people not know how much it costs to make the movies/music/games they pirate? How much effort it takes on the part of the director/artist/developer? And here we are, getting in a tizzy when a company realizes, "This isn't right. We put all of this effort and money into our movie, and people want to watch it for free? Not going to happen."

There's a reason why piracy is illegal and why companies do sometimes try to prosecute people who engage in it. If we pirate something, the director/artist/developer makes no money off of their movie/song/game, and if they aren't making money, what motivation do they have to make them? If piracy continues as it is, either the industry will be forced to put in even more imposing anti-piracy measures, or they'll just stop producing their media in such easily pirated forms. And people will complain about it, never realizing that complaining about the way that companies are trying to combat piracy is like stealing candy bars from a store on a regular basis and then complaining when they install security cameras by the candy section or put the candy bars behind the counter and force you to pay first. Nothing is free, folks. Piracy is stealing, and people won't be motivated to produce anything if all of their hard work won't pay off in some way.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have pirated songs in the past, but after giving it some thought, I stopped. Why? Because distribution by piracy is just not a sustainable system, for all of the reasons I mentioned. I know some people who say that we should pay for the good movies/songs/game and pirate the bad ones, but if they are so bad that we aren't willing to pay money for them, why are we wasting our time with them? Why go to all that effort just to watch/listen to/play something you know you probably won't enjoy? If you really went to all that effort, some part of you knows that the media you pirated must have some redeeming qualities, qualities that make it worth paying for.

You do realize that if the industry goes down, there won't be anything to pirate, right?

9. djt820

Not necessarily. I think piracy and automation might just very well be the fall of our society, in my humble opinion of course. I'd like to contribute to that as much as I can. I write and record my own music just so you know and I give it away for free because I dont need money to feel satisfied about my work. I make my work to have other people enjoy it. If Im short on cash, I'll survive one way or another. Putting a price on art means putting a price on the amount of inspiration one can absorb, which I think is wrong.

And you know those anti-piracy propaganda ads that state "You wouldn't steal a car!!". I damn well would of I could. Who's profiting? Rich car company CEOs that dwell upon the bastardization that is the oil company. The same goes for all forms of capital, in the end, you're making someone who is wealthier than they ever never need to be, even wealthier.