1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[An LGBT Director]Pedro Almodóvar[To Consider]

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by InaRut, Jun 1, 2010.

1. InaRut

Been reading aboot Pedro Almodóvar and his film seem pretty interesting. Pretty well known in Spain but I have to admit I haven't heard his name in anything I've seen.

But it's hard to come across good GLBT directors. Apparently he's big on transsexuality and often frequents transsexuals in his film. Which is good because I can only think of one trans film...Trans America.

He also use to dress in drag in an all drag punk show. Woah!

Have you guys heard of him? Seen any of his films? I think if I ever happen to see one of his films I might definatly consider it!

2. partietraumatic

I can't believe you've never heard of him!!!

Though maybe its because i've studied spanish for 5 years, maybe thats why hes so big to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

He is a stunning director, i recommend you watch any of his films.

Particularly Volver, Todo Sobre Mi Madre and Hable con Ella, i would say are wonderful films. But seriously, any film of his you watch are brilliant.

And yes, he often deals with slightly unusual topic matter, like transsexuality (todo sobre mi madre), and much more taboo things like incest (Volver)

3. InaRut

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! I passed some of those titles in my reading.

4. Possibly Maybe

Pedro Almodovar is a genius! (can you tell I'm a fan?)

The other day, pure coincidence, I was channel surfing and on TVE i saw old footage of Pedro in drag singing on stage with another guy, back in the 80's.
    Madrid was a very special place at the time, bubbling with criativity. I would recomend any movies he has done, from the older ones like "Entre tinieblas", "Qué he echo yo para merecer esto?".

If you're looking for a gay themed one in particular, then "La ley del deseo" is your movie. It features Antonio Banderas like you never saw him before. It also features Carmen Maura as a MtF.

The next movies he made are very good studies on women and their problems. "Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios" is a classic. I must say I know the script by heart :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and i never get tired of watching it.
    Don't leave out "La flor de mi deseo", "Todo sobre mi madre" (go and watch "All about Eve" and "A street car called Desire" and then watch the movie!).

"Kika" is just insane, "Tacones Lejanos" has the divine Miguel Bosé in drag, in an unforgetable performance. Victoria Abril's monologue live on tv in that movie is also another high point. The conflit between her and her mother, is all genius!

"Carne Trémula" is a bit different, the same goes for "Hable con Ella"- which won an Academy Award.

"La Mala Educacíon" reminds me of his earlier work "la ley del deseo", but it has Gael Garcia Bernal, and that is eye candy in the purest form. First few times i saw the movie, i didn't even recall any dialogue *blush*

"Volver" was indeed a return to his signature theme of women and their problems.

All in all, he's a must see.:thumbsup: