1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video game movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by cpt doodles, Jun 8, 2010.

1. cpt doodles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In light of the recently released 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' what video game films have you seen, want made, or want finished asap??

I would love the Halo movie to get its act together, but i could be waiting a long time for that i fear.

DISCUSS!!

2. crystaltriforce

i would love to see a Metroid movie

3. Gaetan

The Super Mario Bros movie! Despite it being nothing about the game, I still enjoyed it.

I dunno, the problem with transferring video games to movies is that, thematically, video games are incredibly boring so they have to come up with stupid fillers to make it work.

That being said, I'd love a proper Legend of Zelda movie!

4. Hoppip

I'm not into mixing them. Video games are action-based, whereas the films that I like the most delve deep into rich characters and complex social situations. I feel like video games show you fantasies and possibilities where films show you reality and depth. I just can't imagine a proper marriage between the video game and the film because they are so contrasting, and even with the cutscene-like plot points of Final Fantasy, it just doesn't seem to be "enough."

I also think there's a definite loss in artistic merit when one medium gets transferred to another. It just seems like somewhere along the way they forgot the "why" in only sticking with the "how."

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Considering that it is already one of the most cinematic series out there, I would LOVE a Metal Gear Solid movie. Hell, the games are practically already movies parading around as stealth games. The issue would be condensing all of that plot into two to three hours--I think MGS4 had nine hours of cut-scenes alone. I suppose that's the reason they can't make movies out of game with well-developed plot; there's either too much plot to fit into a movie, or not enough, forcing the people making the movie to come up with a plot to fill in space, which of course never goes over well with the fans.

6. Rikudo

I heard there was supposed to be a Shadow of the Colossus movie. But I'd guess I'd be okay with it but you it'd get messed up.

7. Shevanel

So fucking underrated. I don't really care if it didn't go along with the game's story too well, SMB DOESNT REALLY HAVE A STORY!

I Find that videogames tend to be told in a different way than movies, at least the ones that are more cinematic, and when they're converted to Film, it's kinda pointless.

There is talk of a Heavy Rain movie being made, and I think that's just ridiculous. The game is pretty much ALREADY a movie. It's just gonna be pretty pointless.

What video game movies need are good writers with a good director who has experience with playing the games he's creating movies for with a FITTING cast. xD

Not Uwe Boll.

8. x2x2x2x2y2

A God Of War movie. I think they're making it. Not sure.

I LOVE the Mario games, but I don't like the movie. It was too weird for me.

9. MusicIsLife

i wouldnt mind a live action FFVII movie, if im being totally honest, or a Zelda movie would be pretty awesome :grin:

10. wherewulfe

i saw a rotten tomatoes article on video game movies in which the highest one was final fantasy the spirits within at 44%. see the problem is that they are two different kinds of entertainment, personal experience vs vicarious experience. game developers know what they are trying to make when they make a video game, if its a shooter they just create a shooter with a bad storyline to string the levels together. even games that do have an excellent story (silent hill 2, portal) they heavily depend on pacing and atmosphere which is something you cant cut down to 2 hours. unfortunately we'll just be stuck with uwe boll films for awhile.

11. Lucky Panda

Yes! :grin: Totally agree! It would be amazing. Oh! And the actor playing Jack has to be HOT! I mean, stunning! :grin:

12. Totoro

Ahem:[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk[/YOUTUBE]
    This is what i want!!!
    I mean sure the last one was terrible and all, but look!!! hehe

13. Corny

Corny Guest

avoid anything done by uwe boll :wink:

14. Beachboi92

Silent Hill movie was so scary xD
    FF Advent Children PWNED
    and i think prince of Persian will be cool

Assasins creed might be able to be a cool movie, Final Fantasy games are storyline oriented enough to be cool movies, Halo could be a cool movie, if kingdom hearts became a movie i would cry tears of joy xD and also Stars Ocean might be able to be a cool movie. Actually now that i think of it Zelda could make a cool series of movies.

15. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Eww, no. Don't let Hollywood pervert games.

16. Tim

Tim

Super Mario Bros. was amazing, XD One of my fav. olden movies, oddly.

And FF: Advent Children was just... meh. Overhyped.

17. Shevanel

OLDEN!? WTF?! 1993, Tim >_>

18. Tim

Tim

ANything made in the 90s is what I consider olden.

I don't mean that in like, a bad way, I mean that in the "olden" sense of when movies were actually... good.

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Stay Tuned, Mom & Dad Save the World, etc. XD

Nowadays the movies focus so much on how the actors/actresses look, sex scenes, etc, they lack in story.

19. crystaltriforce

i wonder how the Spyro movie would have turned out if they didn't cancel it's production

20. Shevanel

Tim, You have a very silly concept of time. xD