1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by gaz83, Jun 10, 2010.

1. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i cant believe this thread aint already been started. there must be people on here interested in football (or to americans soccer)!!

so who do you want to win? why? are you plannin on watching the games?

i myself love sittin down to watch games when i can. already have all my predicitions written down for scores and who will progress to finals. took me a few hours to work it out but i got there. Im hopin germany can win. i always support them in football and this year is obv no different.

2. Ben

Ben

Hm honestly I just get bored of not being able to sleep over the sound of screaming men in my house watching other men kick around a truncated icosahedron.

But I'm supporting Slovakia.
    Even though I guarantee that Holland are going to win.

3. partietraumatic

IM SO EXCITED I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF!!!!!!

Ive been counting down the hours. From 1pm on friday my life officially stops until the end of the world cup.

For winners i can't see past Spain and Brazil. They are streets ahead of all the other teams.

Then there's a group of teams behind that who all have a chance, but only an outside one. IMO those are Germany,Italy,Argentina,Holland. Then slightly behind them England and France

I am of course supporting England, but my 2nd team will be spain, due to the beauty of their football. They play it exactly how it should be played.

I also reckon Luis Fabiano and David Villa to be joint top scorers.

Serbia to be the surprise package (there is always one at every world cup.)

I'm also considering sticking a tenner at the bookies on Robin Van Persie to be top goalscorer, simply because i saw odds of 28/1. Given he has Robben (if hes fit), Sneijder and Van Der Vaart to set him up, he should score a few.

I cant wait!!! This is the best thing that happens every 4 years. LOVE IT

4. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I have hot needles at the ready. Seriously hate football why do people get so engrossed into the crap that is kicking a bladder of air about a grass pitch and getting over paid for the pleasure!

5. partietraumatic

Because its amazing :slight_smile:

To be fair you can degrade anything you don't like in the same way.

'Why do people like music so much, its just a bunch of noises thrown together'

Football is the most popular sport in the world so there must be something good about it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. olides84

I will always contribute to a sports thread on EC, which is easy since there's only one every 6 months or so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm so looking forward to the World Cup, and it's depressing living in a country that is not in it. I was in Germany for some of the last one and had the best time ever, went to a couple games, and partied my ass off with the Brazilians, Croatians, Costa Ricans etc. in Berlin and Hamburg.

All my focus now is on the first USA match, against England. I'm meeting friends at an Irish pub where we can get the commentary in English, but I'm sure I'll be one of the few supporting the Yanks. As usual, USA will not get too far, so as back up I always support Argentina. Also rooting for Mexico and Holland. But yeah, no surprise if the final is Brazil and Spain.

Let's keep this thread alive :grin:

Questions to the Brits...is the World Cup being shown on BBC1 or BBC2???? Please say yes :slight_smile:

7. partietraumatic

Yep, i think its all on BBC :grin:

8. Ben

Ben

It's split pretty much equally between ITV and the BBC

9. olides84

Yeah Ben is right, I looked it up. I don't get ITV, but I guess half the games in English are better than none. Besides that, I also discovered that every game is at least 6 other channels on my TV (Belgian Dutch, Belgian French, French, Dutch, German or Turkish). I wonder who will have the best "Goooooooaaaaaalllllllll" call :grin:

10. partietraumatic

i would go for Turkish, i bet theyre really passionate lol.

Tho i've never heard any commentators more over the top than brazilian ones. When a goal goes in its actually scary :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

----------

btw if anyone wants, here is the schedule with the tv station

http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-world-cup-football-on-tv.html

11. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I would really love to see North Korea play South Korea in the final (but that will never happen).

I am supporting Australia but my expectations are realistic, we will be lucky to get out of our group and will probably play England in the second round if we do which I think would be a very dangerous game for England. The way I see it is we either are eliminated in the group stage or make the final eight.

My money would be going on the Netherlands to win the whole thing.

12. olides84

Oh cheers for that. Very handy.

Did anyone check out what Google did? Enter "world cup" in the search box, and then scroll down to the bottom of the first page and see what they did with the color GOOOOOOOOGLE :grin:

13. partietraumatic

haha wow thats amazing!!!

14. Possibly Maybe

This is the only time I actually give a flying f*ck about football.

Blood makes me support Portugal and Brazil.
    I like New Zealand and Australia, although I don't see them win anything. but i have a soft spot for those people.
    Argentina is also a good bet. Spain I can also roll with it.

15. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Cant see past Brazil or Spain. Chile are my tip for the surprise package.

Although will personally be adopting Portugal to support.

16. Possibly Maybe

Awww!(*hug*)

17. partietraumatic

im amazed at this. A sports thread with 15 replies!!

Next thing we know people will be saying they don't like Lady Gaga :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Don't open that can of worms again. :eek: :lol:

19. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

wow, this is a great response. i was thinkin as i came on here again i bet no-one responded. im well impressed wi u lot haha.

also the final is gonna be screened on both itv and bbc at same time i think!! cant wait. in my place of work we are lucky enough to have a huge hd tv so i will be spending most time in the canteen which my work is more than happy to accomodate me during shifts.

no one here think england even has a slight chance of winning? i think they will get to the semi finals. but i wouldnt rule out them getting further. also i have van persie as my top goalscorer too. holland can put a fair few goals away. infact i might have them down as teh highest scoring team too besides spain.

20. Corny

Corny Guest

we have lena, we cannot lose
    [​IMG]

no seriously .. be aware of spain :wink:

and I am a bit confused of the scotsman above me rooting for us :slight_smile: