1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad Songs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by xyc, Dec 3, 2005.

1. xyc

xyc

Hey, does anybody know any really good sad songs? When I get down (which is often, sadly) I really like to listen to sad songs.

I just recently found 'Silence' by Delerium and Sarah McLachlan which is my favourite one currently. Also, I'm into sad songs by Frou Frou and Martina Topley-Bird right now. I like the 'strange' quality and the really abstract lyrics.

I find it really hard to find good sad songs. So, can anybody recommend any?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much anything by Sarah McLachlan is a good sad song. Particularly "Good Enough" and "Angel." The entire "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" CD is pretty sad. But also "I Will Remember You," "Answer," "Dirty Little Secret."

"Untitled" by Simple Plan is probably my current favourite sad song.

Chantal Kreviazuk has some great stuff, particularly "Flying Home." But others to check out are "Turn The Page," "Surrounded," "Blue," and "Until We Die."

You might also want to check out Jann Arden (who I assume you know because you're Canadian, right?):

Insensitive
    Hanging By A Thread
    Unloved

Ben Folds Five: "Brick"
    Bette Midler: "The Rose"
    Bonnie Raitt: "Circle Dance" and "You"
    Carol Medina: "I'll Just Say Goodnight"
    Eric Clapton: "Tears In Heaven"
    Jeff Buckley: "Hallelujah"
    Melanie: "The First Time I Loved Forever"
    Savage Garden: "I Don't Know You Anymore"
    The Verve Pipe: "The Freshmen"
    Tori Amos: "I Don't Like Mondays"
    Amanda Marshall: "Beautiful Goodbye"
    Righteous Brothers: "Unchained Melody"

Sinead O'Connor: "Nothing Compares 2 U" and most of the album "Universal Mother" but especially "All Apologies"

Also Canadian is The Rankin Family. Their stuff is great... very melancholic, especially their first (?) disk, just titled "The Rankin Family."

Fare Thee Well Love
    Lament of the Irish Immigrant

Again also Canadian (sensing a pattern? *grin*) is Susan Aglukark: Dreams For You

The Corrs: Song for Ireland

Okay... hopefully some of that will help.

3. popboy

I often mix sad and romantic songs in the same category. I never listened to the songs you mention, so probably we have a different taste for music.
    After browsing through my MP3 song collection (mostly pop music from the last 20 years!), I found this song 'Mad World' by Gary Jules (from the Donnie Darko movie soundtrack), which is a really sad song.
    There are many others I would add to the list:
    'Through the barricades', by Spandau Ballet
    'One more try', by George Michael
    'Only you' by Yazoo
    'Heaven' and 'I'll always be right there', by Bryan Adams
    'Another day in paradise', by Phil Collins
    'Nothing compares 2 U', by Sinead O'Connor
    'The Scientist' and 'Fix you' by Coldplay
    'Hello' by Evanescence
    'Everybody hurts', by REM
    The list can go on... I will add some songs from my favorite singers:
    'She's falling apart' and 'Falling in love' by Lisa Loeb
    'Two beds and a coffe machine' and 'I don't know you anymore', by Savage Garden
    'Never is a long time', 'Beautiful things', 'Crash!Boom!Bang!' and many other songs by Roxette.

If you like pop music like I do, you'll probably like most of the songs I recommend.
    Good luck!

#3 popboy, Dec 3, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  4. goratrix

'Heaven' by Bryan Adams

I'm sorry to disagree, but I think this is probably one of the best songs ever!

I'd add to this list (of sad songs, or perhaps songs that I listen to when I'm sad)

Vivo per lei (Andrea Bocelli and Laura Pausini)
    Nothing Else Matters (original from Metallica, Apocalyptica's Cover)
    Hallellujah (Jeff Buckley)
    I will Survive (original from Gloria Gainor, Cake's cover)
    Don't Speak (No Doubt)
    5th symphony, 1st movement (Ludwig Van Beethoven)
    Yesterday (The Beatles)
    Rasguña las piedras (Sui Generis)

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another one:

"Let It Be" by the Beatles

6. popboy

Hey, xyc!
    I think we are forgetting something here... Is there a way we can cheer you up?
    Back in my really sad days I didn't have this forum, I hadn't met neither my psychologist nor ...goratrix :wink: So that's probably the reason why I have that incredibly long list of sad songs in my mind from such a long time span :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Anyway, I agree with you, nothing suits better when you're down than a sad song.

7. Aimee Mann's whole Lost in Space album is my faithful companion when I'm sad.

Give it a listen:
    1. Go to www.aimeemann.com
    2. Click on "continue to aimeemann.com"
    3. Click on "discography" on the left panel
    4. Click on "listen" on the left panel

The closer, "It's Not", is my favorite.

8. goratrix

Oh, add to that list Hands Clean, by alanisse Morisette... :slight_smile:

9. Chaos

I like listening to "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. Thats a sad depressing dark despairing song.

10. ill fated lover

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    try natasha bedingfield i brusie easily or her brother daniel bedingfield nothing hurts like love they both are really good songs

11. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I agree with popboy...i felt the same way a while back...when i was down i always listened to sad songs to make me 'feel better'...but i later learned it wasn't help me at all...i tried to commit suicide one night because the songs only dug me deeper...i got a psycoligist and she said it was best that i let my mom take away all my 'sad' CD's...anyway here i am 3 months later and the happiest i've been all my life...i listen alot of Rex Goudie (local singer, and runner-up Canadian Idol) Some of his songs a slow and would be considered 'sad' by some but he sings them with positive intent...it's all about how well you can deal with turning negative into positive...and how emotional and psycoligically stable you are...i would recommend trying to limit your listening time to such 'sad' music like Evanessence of other bands that have deep lyrics...it's for your better good...but this is just a suggestion (but highly recommended)...in the end you will do what you will...but i hope you do take this advice

12. xyc

xyc

Thanks for the songs and keep them coming if you want. I've found a new one I like: "The Child In Us" by Enigma. I hate the title, but there's something about the song (which might be considered 'sad' but maybe not) which just twinges something in me.

Proud_2b_gay456: Don't worry, I'm not going to kill myself. I just happen to like the feeling that beautiful, heart-wrenching ("sad") songs give me. They help me when I'm sad, and are just beautiful when I'm not. I have a counsellor who's monitoring me, so probably no suicide anytime soon. Plus, I'm pretty happy lately and things are going good.

Well, nice gesture. I have two stressful things going on right now:

First, a friend (but not that close of a friend) who refused to drink alcohol a year ago is now messed up on alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana and crystal meth. She's totally f***ed up and mutual friends of mine and hers are trying to do an intervention or inform her parents about everything they know today and stuff. So, it's really stressful and painful to see her burnt out and pale in class. But, she still goes and gets high before school and at noon.

More personally, I'm still in my double-relation problem (if any of you remember reading about this before). I have, basically, a boyfriend and a girlfriend. My boyfriend knows about her, but she doesn't know about him of course. I'm quite sure I'm not bisexual. Furthermore, I love my boyfriend and am not into her. I have yet to figure out a way to get rid of her gently which will convince her and the school (who constantly talk about us and ask me at least twice a day whether we're going out). I really like her as a friend but she's taken it too far. Today, I had to blow off my boyfriend at lunch because she decided she'd come to my place to eat with me (instead of my boyfriend, as I had planned).

Cont'd: I totally understand my bf's unhappiness at this, but he also understands that I'm not interested in the harassment going along with coming out. The scariest part is the new 'love poetry' she started writing me, except it contains a hint of anger (because I ignore her a lot, since I have to find excuses away from her to spend time with my boyfriend) and so already she's going to be hurt a lot which is horrible. Newest thing: my boyfriend is hosting a party this weekend and will be (amazingly) inviting me and my girlfriend. However, he's suggested this be an opportunity for me to get some alone time with her so I can talk honestly and easily and try to explain (but, of course, lie). I'm not anticipating it, but I'm going to try to figure it out with her this Saturday. Wish me luck.

(Some of you hate me for this, I know, and are just gonna say 'End it with her!')

Anyway, wrong place to post this, but I don't want to discuss it and so creating a thread in Support & Advice is pointless.

13. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well as long as you think you'll be ok go ahead (as if you need my permission ahaha) I'm just trying to keep you safe:slight_smile:

Well it's not your problem really but it seems like you want to help her and already have...an intervention is probably a little intense....you should first just talk to her, to give her a chance to quit on her own....and if that doesn't work then the intervention is a prime idea

Wow thats quite a pickle...umm...well if you mean you don't want to tell her about him you don't have to....just dump her...people get dumped all the time...she'll get over it...plain and simple...but if you feel a little guilty about the double relationship and want to tell her...it's completely unessesary but i admire you empathy...you can tell her if you want...but i wouldn't suggest it.

Well i have to agree with your B/F...lie...jsut plain old lie...people do it all the time...and your lying to protect you and your B/F from her drama after the come out...i know that i'm probably sounding harsh but the truth of it all is this happens all the time...she'll get over it...just dump her

14. SparkleSpike

SparkleSpike Guest

The saddest song that I ever heard is What Hurts The Most by Rascall Flatts, it makes me cry sometimes

15. GuitarGirl1350

Solitaire by Clay Aiken. Favourite sad song ever. Tears Run dry by Clay Aiken is also great. Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley. What Hurts the Most was mentioned before, and is also a wonderful sad song.
    here's the Solitaire lyrics:

There was a man, a lonely man
    Who lost his love through his indifference
    A heart that cared, that went unshared
    Until it died in his silence

And Solitaire's the only game in town
    And every road that takes him, takes him down
    And by himself, it's easy to pretend
    He'll never love again

And keeping to himself he plays the game
    Without her love it always ends the same
    While life goes on around him everywhere
    He's playing Solitaire

Another day, a lonely day
    So much to say that goes unspoken
    And through the night, his sleepless nights
    His eyes are closed, his heart is broken

And Solitaire's the only game in town
    And every road that takes him, takes him down
    And by himself it's easy to pretend
    She's coming back again

He's playing Solitaire

A little hope, goes up in smoke
    Just how it goes, goes without saying
    Solitaireee
    And by himself it's easy to pretend
    He'll never love again
    Ohhh

He's playing Solitaire

16. xxAngelOnFirexx

When I'm sad i listen to:

"Into the Ocean" by Blue October

"How to Save a Life" The Fray

those two songs mean a lot to me. I saved a friend's friend's life one night over the phone(he was suicidal adn i talked to him about my experiences and he calmed down). Then I listen to that one song. Since I consider myself back from the dead (i was deep into a depression) That song really touches my heart. "Into the Ocean" i listen to a lot. I don't know what it is about that song. i know all the words... I think that certain songs can help how a person feels.

"Welcome to My Life" (not sure who wrote it Simple Plan... someone like that)

That song about sums up how i felt in my depression. I swear i wrote it myself.

"The Shower Scene" by Brand New

Good song. Has song interesting lyrics.

and if you like this kinda of music(like me) try these songs too:

"The Leaving Song" and "The Leaving Song pt 2" by AFI (LOVE them!):eusa_danc

but basically hope you aren't sad to often! (*hug*) glad you have music as an outlet (like me) If you get really depressed though, i'd just unplug the iPod (or whatever you use) and do something constructive to take your mind off of whatevers bothering you. You can always PM me (i'm here for anyone who needs to talk, especailly about depression and suicide issues) (&&&)

17. I LOVE that song :icon_bigg

18. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  19. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "Memories" by Within Temptation, "Angels" by Within Temptation, Evanescence, "Noviembre Sin Ti" by Reik (but you have to understand Spanish), uh...that's all I can think of at the moment. "She's Madonna" by Robbie Williams. I haven't been sad in awhile, fortunately.

20. Jim1454

Whiskey Lullaby - Guitar Girl already mentioned it. I just came across it and LOVE it! It's so sad, and sung so beautifully! And Joey also mentioned Chantal Kreviazuk - I love her stuff too. I had posted in the lyrics thread the words from her song that I find really inspirint (but whose title escapes me right now!).

If you want sad, I'm not sure anyone beats Roy Orbison!

And of course half of all country songs! I think there is one called 12 Red Roses - from around 10 years ago - about a bride receiving a bouquet of roses on her wedding day with a note from her father who had passed away when she was little but had written the note for her wedding day. My wife and I were preparing for our wedding, and her dad had passed away a few years earlier too. I literally burst into tears in the car when I heard it the first time. Still give me goose bumps when I think about it...

Amazing the impact music has on us some times...