1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Songs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nikalis, Dec 9, 2005.

1. nikalis

Does anyone know of songs that are specifically gay-themed?

[Admin note: as this thread has been stickied, consider it a place to post songs that are generally LGBT-themes, not just gay themed.]

I know of Elton's Song by Elton John, and pretty much all Melissa Etheridge. Can anyone help me find some more?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Gay-themed Songs...

There are these punk/garage band guys called the Pansy Division who have several CDs that are very gay-themed. Funny stuff, too.

If you have access to a local gay and lesbian bookstore, they are bound to carry queer artists' stuff. I can't really think of a lot of specifcally gay-themed music like there is fiction and other literature.

Someone else will probably have better ideas.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Rod Stewart - "The Killing of Georgie" (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rod-stewart/117098.html).

Gloria Gaynor - "I am what I am" (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/gloria-gaynor/60852.html).

Joe Jackson - "Real Men" (http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/realmen.htm). Some of his other tracks can be taken in more than one way too.

A number of songs by Tom Robinson (including obviously "Glad To Be Gay"), Jimmy Somerville (such as "Aint Necessarily So" and "There's more to love than boy meats girl") and the Pet Shop Boys.

Passing mentions in "The Old Main Drag" by the Pogues (http://www.pogues.com/Releases/Lyrics/LPs/RumSodomy/MainDrag.html) and "Affirmation" by Savage Garden (http://www.allspirit.co.uk/affirmation.html).

Don Henley - "The Boys Of Summer" - maybe, maybe not.... (http://www.lyrics007.com/Ataris Lyrics/the boys of summer Lyrics.html)

Bay City Rollers - "Summerlove Sensation" - unintentionally I think (http://www.frmusique.ru/texts/v/vartan_sylvie/summerlovesensation.htm).

I'm sure I'll think of plenty more once I'be posted this!

4. drhladnjak

Definitely check out this Wikipedia article on queercore. Lots of bands and record labels under the umbrella of rock (mostly on the punk side of things) are mentioned. It's also an interesting read in its own right about a segment of gay-themed music beyond the stereotypical pop acts.

5. goratrix

And the traditional 'everything by bryan adams, backstreet boys, and basically any pop group of the late 90's' But that would be steretyping... i'm actually surprised that I don't see any input by popboy... :slight_smile:

other than that... Raining men?

6. Re: Gay-themed Songs...

from Aimee Mann's "It's Not":

People are tricky / You can't afford to show / Anything risky / Anything they don't know / The moment you try / Well kiss it goodbye

Those lyrics rang so true to me before I had come out. It's more a totally hopeless, depressing song than it is a gay song, I guess.

(I'll try to go easy on the Aimee Mann references, but when you're a fan, you're a fan.)

7. popboy

In fact I don't know any 'specifically gay-themed' song except for 'A little respect' by Erasure.
    There are many songs that I would add to a sort of gay oriented song list though:
    Everything by Pet Shop Boys (look for their greatest hits CD 'PopArt' at your local music store, it's a great album!).
    Many songs by Erasure (A little respect, Who needs love like that, It doesn't have to be, Stop!, Chains of love...).
    'Faith' and 'Freedom' by George Michael
    'Affirmation' and 'Chained to you' by Savage Garden.
    'Unlovable', 'Darkness' 'Void' and 'Feel' by Darren Hayes

Maybe I don't understand the lyrics so well... but that they sound gay to me :wink:

There is a song by Roxette called 'Looking for Jane', that is sang by the female member of the duo, so that's technically a lesbian song :wink:

#7 popboy, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  8. popboy

Last night I was at my childhood best friend's apartment (he's gay, you know), we were bored and started to switch channels on the TV (our communication is not improving, I'm afraid there's no turning back... but this is not what this thread is about!). We ended up watching two documentaries on VH1: "totally gay". Interesting. Many gay artists and songs were mentioned.

I'd add the song "I'm too sexy" by Right said Fred, this is a totally gay song :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It can definitely be a woman's name. I've never heard the song so I couldn't give you my opinion but yeah... I've heard it as a name for women.

11. Chaos

Tatu has gay themed songs...

"All the things she said" is lesbian based and "How soon is now" was done by a closeted homosexual by the name of Morrisey :slight_smile:

12. xyc

xyc

Mindless Self-Indulgence (MSI) seems to be a pretty gay-themed band I like quite a bit. Their lead singer is apparently bisexual, though I don't know anything else about them. Their songs are each very different from each other and usually short with fast lyrics and the singer's 'specialty' of singing in falsetto. I find most of the songs catchy. "Faggot" is the first song of theirs I heard. Other good ones I'd recommend would be "I Hate Jimmy Page", "Cocaine and Toupées", "Bring the Pain" and "Daddy".

Some people might be offended by their lyrics, but I generally find them funny, interesting and energetic. Not all of their songs are gay, but I can't imagine straight guys listening to the 'straight' ones (such as 'Masturbates').

13. hawkeye

I dont really know of any songs with a gay theme. Most of the music I listen to is 60s-80 classic rock. But, when I first started to come out, I listened to The Who alot, and now whenever I hear a song by The Who I am reminded of being gay and what I went through (i really am not trying to make this sound sad).

14. ill fated lover

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

try some gay pimp he is awesome! go 2 his site www.gaypimp.com

15. Re: Gay-themed Songs...

You can hear "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" (sung by Emmylou Harris, music by Gustavo Santaolalla, lyrics by Bernie Taupin) from the Brokeback Mountain soundtrack on this site: http://www.xanga.com/gabriel_tao

Btw, I don't know who the blogging guy is. Just stumbled upon his site and the song.

16. JonB321

Okay, some might argue with this, and it certainly is a straight-jock anthem, but I think that's only because they never really listened to the words. I've said this to some people, but no one believes me, but John Fogherty's "Centerfield" is 100% gay:

Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
    We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field.
    A-roundin’ third, and headed for home, it’s a brown-eyed handsome man;
    Anyone can understand the way I feel.

Chorus:
    Oh, put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today;
    Put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today;
    Look at me, I can be centerfield.

Well, I spent some time in the mudville nine, watchin’ it from the bench;
    You know I took some lumps when the mighty casey struck out.
    So say hey willie, tell ty cobb and joe dimaggio;
    Don’t say "it ain’t so", you know the time is now.

Chorus

Yeah! I got it, I got it!

Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes;
    You know I think it’s time to give this game a ride.
    Just to hit the ball and touch ’em all - a moment in the sun;
    (pop) it’s gone and you can tell that one goodbye!

Chorus
    Chorus
    Yeah!

17. imad

Wow... that sounds so gay... is it intended, though?

18. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Umm...i don't if these really count but some of the songs from the movie "CAMP" (in peticular "Where I Stand") could be inturpreted as gay...i dunno really what your looking for....gay artists or songs that scream ' this is a song for homosexuals '...lol... but also a funny song is " Keep It Gay" from the musical/movie "The Producers"...which was just newly released (2005)...

19. Wolfe

Michael by Franz Ferdinand

20. Director

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I just looked around this forum and I'm pretty shocked that in the Entertainment forum of a website that's desgined to help people come to terms with their sexuality that RENT hasn't been mentioned once!

I'll Cover You is one of my favourite songs! In the play it's a song between a cross-dressing young man, and a young gay man. (The song itself could just as easily be done by a woman and a man, tho) It's such a great song, so caring! I love RENT! Even aside from the fact that it deals with gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and cross-dressing, the music is phenomenal!!!