1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Violin Players?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 24601, Sep 15, 2007.

1. 24601

I'm looking for someone who can play Violin and can read Violin Tabs and make it into something actually understandable for me (notes or something). More specifically, I'd like to figure out what this means:

It is (supposedly) Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream (the violin part). Let me know if anyone can help me out, either here for through PM.

Thanks! :grin:

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I played violin but I can't help sorry

3. Level N Human

According to some random person on the internet who is not me:

"The number you see is the finger number you use. If you see, say, a "5," that would mean second finger in third postion."

I don't know if that helped because I'm musically challenged.

4. 24601

It would help someone who knew how to play the violin, but... I don't know what fingers make what notes or anything like that, haha. Thanks, though. Maybe it will help someone who does.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

I play the violin and am actually studying it in college right now. I'll look up some info on tab so I can see if I can decipher this for you... if you want to know how to play Mansell's Requiem for a Dream, I can probably transcribe some of it for you, which might be easier.

6. Jeimuzu

I'm not certain about any of this, since I don't play violin, but if I'm correct I can tell you one thing - that's not violin tablature. That's guitar tablature. I'm assuming someone has converted a piece of music for violin into a piece for guitar.

The letters - ebGDAE - are the strings. The letters indicate the tuning. Now, since there's 6, that implies six strings. A violin has four. They're tuned to ebGD (that's according to my brother).

Anyways, logically, if you'd tabbed a violin riff, you wouldn't call it Famous Violin Riff. I've tabbed plenty of bits of guitar, and never called them Guitar Riff.

So, now to explain how guitar tabs work!

Firstly, the tab is badly done.

Now, the letters are the six strings, right? The highest (thinnest except on classical guitars, which have the bottom three made of nylon and therefore thicker. In that case, it's the thinnest nylon string) string is e, the deepest is E. When it says a number, you count forward frets on the guitar (on the side of the neck are markers at 5, 7, 9, 15, sometimes 3, and sometimes all the way to 24, with a double marker at 12 % 24) and play that fret on that corresponding string. Then you go forward in the tab to the next part. If it's just '-' then you don't play anything, if it's x, you play deadened, etc etc.

That author isn't using proper standard tablature. As far as I'm aware, 13^ should mean move it up an octave digitally, using a pitchshifter or a whammy pedal. I can't see why you'd use that.

Also, finally, since the author neither states the timings - impossible in tablature, which is why sheet music is better - nor has he named the music, it's impossible to know. Tablature is only useful if you actually already know the timing of the song, and since he doesn't say what it's meant to be, you have no way of knowing.

Unless you're really good at guessing :wink:

I'm not sure if I've melted your brain after this painfully long post, but I rather hope not. Either way, if you've made it through this whole post without going crosseyed, well done!

#6 Jeimuzu, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Ah, I figured this bit out. Here's a notation of what's going on in the tab:

EDIT: P.S. The violin's standard tuning is G-D-A-E, with the A string being at 440 Hz.

Attached Files:

8. SadConfusedBandGeek

Hey, btw whats an Hz stand for again??
    For some reason i knew that A was 440. but i dont know what that means! haha
    thx

(i think it has something to do with how fast it vibrates or something.

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

You're on the right track. Hz stands for hertz, which tells frequency (how many cycles per second a given pitch will vibrate).

10. 24601

Thanks so much guys, exactly what I'm looking for. Like I said before, I know nothing about violin or tabs (I play trumpet) but with this I can transpose it (actually easy since it's already in the key of B flat) and play it. This might be incomplete because there were other parts in the original set up, but I didn't think copying all of it was relevant since I just wanted this main little part. Guess I was wrong. :icon_redf

Again, thanks a lot.

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Haha, you're welcome. The rest of it you might be able to find out by ear, though I don't mind transcribing just a little bit more for you, if you want. Also, if you need me to transpose it to another key, let me know; it's just a few clicks away with the music program I use.

12. 24601

To take parts (err instruments, rather, like piano, violin) in C to trumpet it's just as easy, just knock of the key signature (since it's in B flat) and move all the notes up one. Thanks so much, though. Yeah, I'll be able to figure the rest out by ear now, just thought it'd be easier to get started this way, though apparently that tab was indecipherable.