1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brokeback Moutain

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nisomer, Dec 18, 2005.

1. nisomer

Anyone seen it? From the reviews it looks pretty good. I'm so glad I'm 17 now, I can go see it without my parents!

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm seeing it Christmas Day. I've heard good things from people who have seen it.

3. I'm going to see it on Wednesday with some friends. I'm so looking forward to it!

4. Chaos

If the general public like it I wont... I plan on staying away from this cliche disaster piece :wink: I prefer my indie horror films like.. Return of the Living Dead or Night of the Demons.

Nah, I'll probably end up watching it in the future but not in theaters.

5. popboy

I'm looking forward to watching that movie since I saw the trailer on E! months ago! Both an atractive and unusual story.
    Later I talked with a guy over MSN and he started telling me about this gay story that inspired a movie, and I said "Yes, I know! Brokeback Mountain!". He was surprised to know that I knew about it. He sent me the original story by email (unfortunately it's not easy reading for a non native English speaker like me!), and eventually we met last week after he got back from a trip :slight_smile:
    Brokeback Mountain will be shown in the Argentine cinemas in February... I'll have to wait a little more than you unfortunately :frowning2:

6. Micah

Oh I can't wait for it to come out here in australia (Jan 6). It's only rated M here (which I believe is a little higher than the American PG 13+, M in Australia is recommended 15+, but anyone can get in).

For those who don't know anything about the movie, here's a 'blurb' of sorts.

========================================================
    Brokeback Mountain

Staring Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal (the dude from The Day after Tomorrow)

Set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, this film tells the story of two young men, a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy. When the pair meet during the summer of 1963, they unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection that brings complications, joys and tragedies - and proof of the endurance and power of love.
    The world which Ennis (Heath Ledger) and Jack (Jake Gyllenhaal) have been born into is at once changing rapidly and yet scarcely evolving. Both young men seem certain of their set places in the heartland, yet hunger for something they can't articulate.

Although the two follow different life paths - one becoming a father of two and the other becoming a successful businessman - they reunite years later. Each is affected profoundly by the rekindling of their old feelings for each other, leading them to consider what continuing their hidden relationship could cost them.
    ======================================================

7. I'm making my family watch it w/ me tomorrow night. I'm sort of nervous! Hope they stay open minded and appreciate it.

8. chrisg

One of my classmates asked why they were "ruining Westerns with gays." Idiot. Anyway, all the reviews I've seen of this movie have been glowing, so I hope to see it soon.

9. Micah

Argh. This movie comes out on thursday for me. I was going to go see it for my birthday but it wasnt out yet. So instead me and my 2 besties are seeing it on thursday night. Should be good. Can't wait :slight_smile:

10. jenny2005

I haven't seen the movie, but I did read the story it was based on and it was Amazing!

11. Jordano

Brokeback Moutain was one of the best movies I've ever seen - the passion, storyline, EVERYTHING in it was amazing! I was a little startled by "the scene", but the reasoning behind made it perfect. It was definitely just plain awesome! SEE IT!

12. nisomer

i saw it last weekend. idk i was kinda expecting more...more emotion. it was a good movie ill say that, and i did cry at the end, but from all the praise i heard from everyone, especially critics, i was expecting to be really moved. trying to refrain myself from spoiling anyone, i thought they could have done a lot more with the wife...i was expecting more from her.

but still overall it was a good movie...i still got very emotional and cried in certain parts.

13. Micah

Well I went to see it last week (was meant to write here but forgot). Personally I loved it. It broke free of the stereotypes and shows a raw love story. My friend who I saw it with didn't like it as much as I did, but he still cried :wink:

Anyway, to anyone who hasnt seen it yet, I would highly recommend going.

Dave

14. popboy

Hey! I finally watched the movie last night with my sort-of-boyfriend (yeah, I think I owe you some lines explaining how I've been doing lately, I know).
    Unfortunately I had read the short story that inspired the movie previously, so the only surprise for me was that the awfully hot sex scene in the motel was suppressed *grin*. The rest of the film is amazingly faithful to the original story. The script writer and the director have done a great job.
    It is a very nice film and I'm sure it will open some people's minds. I highly commend it also.

15. JonB321

I thought it was a beautifully acted, and amazingly filmed movie. Both Jake and Heath were unbelievable, but overall, I think the movie was a bit slow. Of course I loved it, and I did cry, but some of it could have been cut out.

16. riderdan

i am nearly 16 just seen it and made me cry my boyfriend held my hand on bus home and said we are lucky

17. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Really? Here in NL it's only 14a....so i can go w/o parents lol...they have this whole "gay-friendly" thing and mark all movies including gay content lower so that gay's wont think it's becuz of the homosexual content...which i think is illegal now?

OMG thats is soooo assum....you are lucky....kinda makes me wish i had a boyfriend right now

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's 14A in BC too. That's very standard, for a movie to be R in the US and lower-rated here in Canada... and usually (maybe always) it's about the sexual content (or rather, the sexuality content because it's not like you see their genitals or anything). To say the US is regressive when it comes to sexuality and sex (and hypocritical when it comes to the sex/uality vs. violence thing) is to understate it slightly.

Happily, Final Destination 3 was 18A here (the R equivalent). What's really creepy is that my friend and I saw someone take like an 8-year-old out of the theatre as the credits for that movie were rolling. Talk about how to scar a kid for life!

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I believe it has a "15" certificate in the UK (which means anyone 15 or older can see it).